My First Ticket; What would you do?

By 1cookie :) Latest Activity August 9, 2011 at 1:53 pm Views 2,650 Replies 37 Likes 6

1cookie :)

On my way to work this morning, I found myself running late. I was leass than 1 mile from my distination and it seemed that I got stuck at EVERY stop light. So, I was trying to make up some time in the last straight road before my office.

I noticed a police car on my side of the road and had no problem as I passed; soon after, there was another officer on the opposite side of the road…he pulled out behind me a flashed his lights…so I pulled over to HIS side of the road whwere par\king was allowed instead of my side where it was not. I did signal asnd pulled in to park to allow traffic to continue to flow.

I got my licence, regitration and proof of insurance out in preporation of his request to view them. Window down, waiting for his radio call to end he approached my car. He said he clocked me at 41 in a 25 mile/hr zone. He said "On any OTHER DAY, I would have let you off with a warning, BUT TODAY I CAN'T". I was issued a ticket for $161. That's 10.06/ mile over the limit.

I arrived to work ticket in hand, LATER THAN I have ever been and upset to have my first ticket ever in my life…Not a issue for some but it is to me. During the coarse of the day 3 other people were also issued tickets; some for not comming to a compleate stop and another for speeding..Not all by the same officer or in the same area of the city either..SEVERAL police cars were seen traveling in groups of 2 or 3 all morning long.

The back of the ticket states if it is paid uncontested NO POINTS will go onto your licence..and it is not an admission of it is a "non issue" as far as an insurance premium hike in the future because of it..I could also mark it as NOT GUILTY and wait for a court date to hope the fee would get reduced. BUT when you do that you get points on your licence. If I pay the ticket it will go into my driving history (it would either way) but no points will be isued..I still need to call my insurance carrier ANONYMISLY and ask how it can affect my rates.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (37 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • 100 Acre Woods
    100 Acre Woods August 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm   

I would pay it, walk away and learn from my mistake. Apparently you Were going over the speed limit somewhat. Usually it is recorded on their
    Radar and is rather indisputable. The fact that he told you that normally he would let it go but today he couldn't. Was his way of saying that he was sympathetic to your position but apparently they had been told that day in pre-shift that there was no 'look away' that day. It recorded on his
    Radar so he had no choice but to give you a ticket.

As for your insurance, this type of ticket is considered a minor offense and will stay on your record for 3 years. An accident and other tickets are major tickets that will take at least 5 years to roll off. Normally, insurance companies do not check your record unless you either present a claim or make a change on your policy including but not limited to adding a driver, switching out your car to another one, etc. Just keep your head down and run below the radar :) for the next 3 yearned and you should be fine. Also, don't plan on switching to a different ins co. Because they will automatically run your drivers license. When an ins co finds out about a ticket, they can raise your rate a few hundred dollars. At-fault accidents can triple your rates for 3-5 years. Either way, it isn't pretty.

• Maggi Veronica
    Maggi Veronica August 17, 2011 at 12:06 pm   

I think you can go to traffic school for it cant you!?? If you go to traffic school, it will come off your record. I believe you still have to pay for it, but I think after that its clear! :) U should look into that.

• Cowgirl2aTEE
    Cowgirl2aTEE August 13, 2011 at 2:51 pm   

I totally agree with retired officer. Will be praying for you over it n that u will ask 4 His help in this matter. LU BUNCHES~Tammy

• 1cookie :)
    1cookie :) August 13, 2011 at 3:08 pm   

Thank you so much, prayers are ALWAYS welcomed…

1cookie :) August 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm   

I contacted a retired police officer friend. Who served in this city where I got my tickets…His advice was to send the tickets in SEPRATELY and pled NOT guilty to both. Add a letter with my good driving history. He feels that the sheer volume of tickets it make them have to toss many out and not pursue them..My record will help me very much..He said that my state doesn't add court cost, they write radar on all of them to give you a defeated dash cam vidios would be pulled or saved for the tickets unless they expect or got trouble from someone points will go away in 24 months if I do have to go I forgot to ask if I could pay after that if I chicken out..probably not I'd guess not because it was marked and mailed,,I'd be gambling points but it could be worth it when tossed out and saving over $300…will sleep on it this weekend and deside Monday on the first..wait 2 or so days and send the 2nd…If they pull over so many..they have to toss many who fight it…

• marieanne
    marieanne August 12, 2011 at 11:29 pm   

I find this very interesting, it does vary quite a bit by state and co.
    as I have learned, through my training. This was a good idea on your
    part to check with this person, and your record does matter in
    many cases! So, good luck. This whole situation sounds very fishy,
    as they say! Hugs, marieanne

1cookie :) August 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm   

Yes, I said to my coworkers "who has mayo for the tuna"…

• CMC101
    CMC101 August 11, 2011 at 4:16 pm   

Pay the ticket then GO TO TRAFFIC SCHOOL. Traffic school wipes it off your record completely and insurance will never know. Even if they do know, and you go to TS, they can not change the rate on you…because the ticket is wiped from the record. This is what TS is for…but you can only do it something like once every 18 months or something.

1cookie :) August 11, 2011 at 5:28 pm   

They gave me another ticket today, with cruise control set below 30 mph, they said I was doing 42 mph..another staff member was hit with the exact same speed,,exact spot, different officer…What would you do??? Do you see a pattern??..Is it a helpful thing that we BOTH have the EXACT speed..what are the chances of that??!!!…what would you do????

• Lana
    Lana August 12, 2011 at 9:41 am   

I would find a new route. :-)

1cookie :) August 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm   

YES!!! This was discussed between SEVERAL staff and doctors who use this most direct and lest difficult (until receintly) route..sad because for over 15 years it has been fine and probably will be after the pending police laypffs are done or consessons by the unions have been passed…ABUSE of authority rings through my ears!!!

• marieanne
    marieanne August 11, 2011 at 9:43 pm   

It does sound like something is mal-functioning here when the cruise
    control was set. Either the speedometer in your vehicle, or the
    radar unit. I agree with cowgirl, check into this for sure. But, remember
    too, rulings and laws differ from state to state. Best of luck in finding
    the cause! Hugs, marieanne

1cookie :) August 12, 2011 at 4:04 pm   

GOOD ADVICE..I don't think the issue is on my end..and changing the route MAY BE, They were stopping people from several different inlets…I might go with the fight. A judge who will be stuck with all of the traffic in his court will not be to happy..A screening process of tickets may get me off because of my comments and my record of 35 years without incident…still pondering…THANK YOU for your help…

• Cowgirl2aTEE
    Cowgirl2aTEE August 11, 2011 at 8:35 pm   

If they do not have their radar checked daily you can get off-CASE DISMISSED! Sounds like this may be the case OR your cars speedometer needs to be checked and if it is off you can get off-again CASE DISMISSED. I can't remember the name for it maybe someone on here can but it has to do with it working properly or not-can u avoid that "SPEED TRAP?"

1cookie :) August 12, 2011 at 3:59 pm   
    Edited August 12, 2011 at 4:05 pm by 1cookie :)

Car is a 2010..same tires..and the radar gun??? different officer so I think 2 sources…MY OPINION…"speed of the day" $5 more then the day before…Hope I miss out on the next price of the day…I wish I heard see the radar reading but what would be the next issue??? DON'T KNOW…

• Lana
    Lana August 12, 2011 at 9:40 am   

Here is the problem. No matter what she does, the court fees will always be more than the ticket. They get you that way. They want money out of you and even if the cop is wrong, either you pay or fight it. But if you fight it, you still pay $$$. I have heard people say that if you ask the officer to see the radar while you are getting ticketed – he has to show it to you. The people that have asked usually end up getting out of the speeding part but they are given a ticket for something else. Not sure how true that is but most people don’t fight tickets because of the cost of the court fees. Sometimes, it is just not worth the headache.

1cookie :) August 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm   

Someone said the court fees in my state are ONLY $35..I need to see abuot that I have a retired officrs phone number (my honeies friend and my by proxy :) so I will contact him to sound off his opinion…

• Lana
    Lana August 10, 2011 at 8:27 am   

You pay the ticket. If you plead not guilty, you pay court fees in excess of the ticket. My sister who lives in Brooklyn, NY was handed a summons to appear in court. The officer did not even state why he was giving her the ticket. She called and was told that because there was no specific reason on the ticket, she had to show up in court. She drove to Manhattan on a really hot day last month and tried to explain the situation to the court. She had her two small children with her too. The judge told her if she pleads not guilty, she would have to come by another day and pay court fees which would be more than the ticket. Basically, you don’t have a choice. I don’t know about the insurance issue. If there are points, it shouldn’t affect your insurance but call your personal insurance agent if you have one and get the answer. You can also call their customer service department.

1cookie :) August 11, 2011 at 5:24 pm   

OK, THEY HIT ME AGAIN…I used cruise control..I WAS UNDER 3Omph, but above 25 because it is the lowest setting it would be at AND THEY SAID I WAS DOING 42 mph.
    At 12:30 another staff member comming into work in THE SAME AREA different officer SAME SPEED 42mph A statitisian would say highly improbable…NOW I HAVE 2 TICKETS 2 DAYS APART. I know I was under 30mph this time NO QUESTION my cruise was SET $161 + $166= $327 FOR TICKETS THIS WEEK…What would you do???!!!!…

1cookie :) August 10, 2011 at 5:51 pm   

That is what I thought too..Thanks for your response.

• Lana
    Lana August 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm   

Your tax dollars at work. :-)

• jayabee52
    jayabee52 August 9, 2011 at 10:32 pm   

In Las Vegas there is a lawyer who handles traffic tickets pro bono. I've used his service twice have liked it. I usually had to go to traffic school online and pay a small fee for that in exchange for a lower fine and no points. There may be a lawyer in your locality like that (look in the yellow pages or sometimes they advertise on outdoor billboards) They may not be free, but usually have a reduced rate. Ask one of them what to do, because the laws vary on that from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. (In LV metro area there are about 5 different traffic jurisdictions)

1cookie :) August 10, 2011 at 5:50 pm   

Thank you James, I'm sure every state is question!. I won't get points if I pay, it's the possible insurance increase that scares me..The thing is, I know I was not doing 25mph..So I can't say I wasn't speeding..I'll probably pay the ticket and hope the broker is right and it stays under the radar (yes pun intended) and the bill won't jump threw the roof..Thank you for your response!

• marieanne
    marieanne August 10, 2011 at 12:50 am   

I would have to agree with jayabee52, these things are different
    from county to county, & state to state. This is so true. This fine
    sounds pretty steep to me, but then, I believe states can set their
    own amounts and the counties, too. Good luck, hugs, marieanne

1cookie :) August 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm   

I called the traffic division. They said 16mph over the limit is a fine of $161. So that was the correct amount. If I pay the bill I will have NO POINTS on my licence..and I will not have to miss work.. The insurance is a possible problem beacuse it is a moving violation so that could/would be in my history and that might increase my coverage…MY INS. BROKER said she has Gieco, she had 2 tickets going faster/over the limit then I was and she had NO INCREASE in her premiums..Only after an accident did it go up…Others have said when you change carriers you get screened as a new customer, not usually as a renewal; but I think I was asked to update with my last that I have collision coverage. With my old var I never was asked.. I coworker said if they ask for the update do not fill it out, just pay the premium..But I believe they send out the questioner atleast 1 month bfore I get the new policy..I think it is due before December…Thanks for the wish of luck. things are crazy for me and good luck is always welcomed…PS, check the link :)

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar