Tip of the Week #1: Keep a Positive Attitude

By LanaPA Latest Activity August 2, 2011 at 4:44 am Views 2,021 Replies 31 Likes 27

Lana

Arthritis may limit some of the things you can do but it does not control your life. A positive attitude plays an important role in pain management because it focuses on your overall health, not just the pain and symptoms that arthritis brings into your life.

Maintain a positive attitude means you focus on the following:
• Thinking positive thoughts
• Having a sense of humor
• Eating a healthy, balanced diet
• Surrounding yourself with positive people and support
• Enjoying activities and time with friends and family
• Following your treatment plan
• Taking your medication properly and
• Practicing relaxation techniques.

While this seems like a lot to do, consider the following:
• Don’t focus on the pain: find ways to take your mind off the mind.
• Every one of us has the ability to distract ourselves from the pain: the more you focus on anything other than pain, you becomes less aware of the pain.
• Try positive self-talk: A favorite quote of mine comes from Susan Jeffers and reads: “Remove those ‘I want you to like me’ stickers from your forehead and instead, place them where they truly will do the most good – on your mirror.” Think about it. What we say to ourselves determines how we feel about ourselves.

You can live well with arthritis if you are willing to positive and stay positive regardless of the pain and limitations.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (31 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • I_need_my_family
    I_need_my_family November 26 at 12:56 pm   

Thank you so much my arthritis. Is just getting worse but your words of wisdom helped me

• BLissBLessed
    BLissBLessed March 6, 2013 at 9:21 am   

Thank you for the wonderful advise! Very informative & positive… much appreciated!

• sheriden
    sheriden August 25, 2011 at 1:08 pm   

It is so true when I think of just how much I hurt and don't get moving I feel so much worse. When I even just get up and do a little it is better. I am in school this fall and so it pushes me on to do more and more. We all nead to hear things like this to help us remember.

• Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 August 25, 2011 at 12:41 pm   

Great adviice! In life you have to keep a positive outlook, Yes we are sick but others here are also! It makes me feel like I am not nearly as sick as others on here. This is a great site and I want to thank you, John, Gary for all the support you give and the great articles, But most of all the others that know how it feels to have pain every day and yes keep pushing forward with Friends that I call (Angels) here on this site. I always feel better when I come on and someone says something so sweet thet truly makes my day! I am very Blessed! Thanks to God and all of you here and my wonderful family!

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 August 25, 2011 at 12:51 pm   

That's what it is all about. Sharing and caring.

• MWmelbourne
    MWmelbourne August 25, 2011 at 12:16 pm   

Excellent advice! in business starting out they say sometimes" fake it 'til you make it" and even when we feel bad & dont seen to have the strength to get up or go out, once you put on your war paint and go, you may find you are feeling better! I call it "psychological warfare"

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA August 24, 2011 at 10:18 pm   

This is great. I especially like the idea about removing the "I want you to like me" stickers. So often, we look to others to give us the validation that we could be giving to ourselves.

• marieanne
    marieanne August 15, 2011 at 3:01 pm   

Thanks Lana! U always have good 1s for us here. Someday's, it's hard
    to "keep the head up", in a positive place- it does get better with
    practice~LOL These are all very good tips & they work, too! So,
    thank you again- and keep em coming! Hugs, marieanne

• drbobg
    drbobg August 15, 2011 at 2:31 pm   

Today started off on a low note,then i made a decision to change my thinking n things got a whole better.

• Lori El
    Lori El August 11, 2011 at 11:40 pm   

I totally agree that keeping a positive attitude is important in all parts of your life. I have been out of work since last November and I try not to get discouraged and keep applying for jobs. I believe the right one will come along soon. Living with RA can be a tough one somedays. The weather in Minnesota can be so fickle. One day it is really nice and the next it could be really awful. Our summer has been so darn hot and humid that a person can only be outside for about 15 minutes and then you have to go inside to the air conditioning. I will work on getting more walking in when the weather gets a little bit cooler. Take care all!

• kmatt1223@verizon.net
    kmatt1223@verizon.net August 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm   

A positive attitude helps alot when looking at what's bothering you. Try to focus on a distraction to take your mind off of the pain, tell your self that it my hurt for alittle while and go on, sometimes this will distract you once you get moving and you will forget about the pain for awhile, try all forms of non-medication to help, but when the going gets really rough and the pain is so unbearable, there is the time to take medication. i myself use every way to not take medication, even if it is a headache, but there is a time when you really have to. I believe that every medication can help, but it can mask other dangerous symptoms, and that is why we are a medication addict nation. we want instant relief, and a pill to take care of every ache and pain, even if it is a stubbed toe or a sneeze. relaxition techniques, exercise, distractions, a sense of humor, a healthy diet, and talks with your doctor can really help. Yes, there are days when we all get the blues about what we have, but we have to pick ourselves up by the shoestrings some days and move on.

• marieanne
    marieanne August 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm   

Good post above here! Thanks, hugs, marieanne

• Anonymous
    Anonymous August 8, 2011 at 10:41 am   

Hi, For the last year I have walked about ten blocks every night and, while not always, there are tijmes when I walk normally. It has been painful but worth the effort. And, yes, I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knee but was a caregiver and couldn't take time out for an operation. It worked for me.

• roqu3lle
    roqu3lle August 6, 2011 at 8:49 pm   

orchestrated

• MWmelbourne
    MWmelbourne August 6, 2011 at 10:02 am   

excellent advice.. I call it "psychological warfare"

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl August 4, 2011 at 5:11 pm   

This is a wonderful and positive discussion and given the fact that I don't get to visit very often it gives me something very uplifting to walk away with from my visit. Blue Skies Drew

• marieanne
    marieanne August 21, 2011 at 10:52 pm   

May you always have something "uplifting" in your life!
    Hugs, marieanne

• talltennisgal
    talltennisgal August 4, 2011 at 7:08 am   
    Edited August 4, 2011 at 7:10 am by talltennisgal

I agree wholeheartedly, Lana. I heard a quote one time that said, "Disease can make you one of two kinds of people…bitter or BETTER." There will always be people who have it easier than you do and always those who bear a larger burden. Taking the high road, even with yourself, can make this RA gig easier to deal with! And reading the post by Dr. Gary about the "unwanted houseguest" really made a difference for me!! Good insight into how we all sometimes feel about this wretched disease.

• pshowers
    pshowers August 3, 2011 at 2:01 am   

I have been living with arthritis in my neck for years. I take medication when I need it. I also have arthritis in my hands and I put them in a warmer and get my hands massaged. It really helps me a lot.

• jlsantini
    jlsantini August 2, 2011 at 5:09 am   

Thanks for the tips, Lana. I just started physical therapy yesterday for overuse injuries in my left leg and I'm sore today. I have exercises to do at home plus PT sessions at the clinic. What I hope PT will help me achieve is getting back to being a useful cub scout leader that can do the hiking and walking with the scouts. Having to sit out the last two activities really bothered me although I offered support from the sidelines. As 1) a new leader and 2) only one of 3 female leaders, I'm frustrated that this set back is not helping me earn respect from the men of the pack but I know that I will get there in due time.

• marieanne
    marieanne August 15, 2011 at 3:08 pm   

jlsantini~ please don't give up, especially on yourself! God willing, &
    you doing the best you can to be healthy- I hope- will get you
    where you want to be. I'm rooting for you dear1~ Go Bless U,
    marieanne

• jlsantini
    jlsantini August 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm   

PT is going much better than it was and I have learned the importance of proper rest to allow the body to heal. Thanks.

• marieanne
    marieanne August 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm   

Proper rest- I had to learn this one the hard way! I now take
    naps whenever possible! I get teased about this- from my Son-
    oh well. They actually have done studies on this- that say "we
    are far more productive after naps!" I vote for naps~ Hugs,
    marieanne

• babyhawaii
    babyhawaii October 27 at 11:09 am   

I agree with the naps. it def helps me

• Ohio Duck
    Ohio Duck November 26 at 3:35 pm   

Amen to naps.

• tharr
    tharr November 28 at 8:27 am   

I don't know why I hated naps so much when I was a kid. I love them now!

• ZOWLUCY
    ZOWLUCY November 28 at 5:19 pm   

Naps are my favorite thing

• Prosper33
    Prosper33 August 15, 2011 at 7:13 pm   

Jlsantini- I am new here so I hope it's ok for me to say something. I did PT for quite a while and then on one visit I was introduced to a microcurrent machine, it really works well, in fact a dished out $$ and bought a home unit, hope you PT has this equipment- best of luck!

• marieanne
    marieanne August 21, 2011 at 10:57 pm   

Thanks for this info. here, I am sure it will help someone. Can
    you tell us more about it? Thanks & Hugs, marieanne

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 6, 2013 at 1:39 pm   

Marieanne, when I purchased my tens unit- it has a micro-current in it, it is a quad unit, so it has 4 uses- it wasn't a cheap unit, but I have ordered other things to go with it, a neck garment, knee / elbow sleeve, glove for the hand, and a sock for the feet. The neck garment was the last thing I purchased, it was almost 70 dollars- all these garments have to be wet to use them so you feel the current of whatever you have set the machine to do.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar