- Current Page
Tip of the Week #1: Keep a Positive Attitude
By August 2, 2011 at 4:44 am 3,046 31 27
Arthritis may limit some of the things you can do but it does not control your life. A positive attitude plays an important role in pain management because it focuses on your overall health, not just the pain and symptoms that arthritis brings into your life.
Maintain a positive attitude means you focus on the following:
• Thinking positive thoughts
• Having a sense of humor
• Eating a healthy, balanced diet
• Surrounding yourself with positive people and support
• Enjoying activities and time with friends and family
• Following your treatment plan
• Taking your medication properly and
• Practicing relaxation techniques.
While this seems like a lot to do, consider the following:
• Don’t focus on the pain: find ways to take your mind off the mind.
• Every one of us has the ability to distract ourselves from the pain: the more you focus on anything other than pain, you becomes less aware of the pain.
• Try positive self-talk: A favorite quote of mine comes from Susan Jeffers and reads: “Remove those ‘I want you to like me’ stickers from your forehead and instead, place them where they truly will do the most good – on your mirror.” Think about it. What we say to ourselves determines how we feel about ourselves.
You can live well with arthritis if you are willing to positive and stay positive regardless of the pain and limitations.