Finding the mattress or bed when you have arthritis pain

By LanaPA Latest Activity July 27, 2011 at 9:38 pm Views 984 Replies 7 Likes 4

Lana

A Johns Hopkins University Medical School study finds that achieving restful sleep when you suffer from arthritis is near impossible. In fact, arthritis pain is further exacerbated by sleeping on the wrong type of mattress.

Here are some things to consider when finding the right mattress for you.

• You need maximum support and stability. The ideal mattress will contour under your hips and shoulders while providing you extra support at the waist, knees, and legs.
• As an arthritis sufferer, you generally shift your position several times during the night. Therefore, the best mattress for this is a firm to allow you to change positions easily, without waking, and to trigger a natural position change. Soft mattresses cause infrequent position changes and difficulty moving. So, staying in one position for too long causes morning stiffness. Further, an overly soft mattress, no matter how supportive, can make it difficult to move when you change positions.
• Last, your inflamed joints need extra support. The ideal mattress should have softness that cradles your inflamed joints so there is less pressure on those areas. A rigid mattress may not give you the support you need and only rests the body on top of the mattress causing your joints to become more tender and sore.

Finding the right mattress is like an exact science - your mattress cannot be too soft or too hard. Just like Goldilocks, it has to be just right.

I recently purchased a mattress set from a local company (The Original Mattress Factory) that makes their mattresses in their factory and sells direct to the customer. The set I purchased is part of an orthopedic line and I picked their extra firm model in that line. From the first night’s sleep, I knew I had made a good choice and the money spent - well it was worth it to wake up with less pain and to be more fully rested in the morning.

Have you been successful in finding a bed (like the Sleep Number series) or mattress that has made getting a good night’s sleep easier for you? How much of a difference has this made in your life? If you have not have not been successful in finding the right bed or mattress, which ones have you purchased that have not helped so others can avoid buying those?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (7 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • renih
    renih September 2, 2011 at 3:52 am   

I was having such problms sleeping last year so we searched high and low and this is funny we finally found a mattress at Dillards that is the best matress Serta makes and it is marked way down and one side is extra firm like hubby needs and the other side is med firmness that feels great to me it was a demo and wow we love it!!! what a find and it was under $700 queen sized with the extra strong frame and delivered! God is always so good to me there just isnt any other way to explain my life.

• tharr
    tharr September 2, 2011 at 12:22 am   

We have had a sleep number bed for the last 6-7 years. I wasn't thrilled about it at first but now don't think I could go back to a conventional mattress. I like a firm mattress but there are nights that my RA hurts worse so I can dial it softer in a matter of about 30 seconds to a minute. It has held up very well also. We lost one dog recently but up til a couple of months ago it slept 2 humans and most nights 1, sometimes 2 dogs as well.

• Sly Kitty
    Sly Kitty September 1, 2011 at 9:46 pm   

Has anyone tried the memory foam mattresses or pads? I happened to have a piece of memory foam that a friend gave me after they cut down the king size pad to fit their queen size bed. I cut this in pieces and it filled 2 king size pillow cases and 1 standard size pillow case and intended to use it for my pets' beds. I figured I would try the comfort of this so I lined up those pillow cases and layed down on them. It was truly the most comfortable thing ever. This pad was only 4 inches thick and I placed it on the floor to try it out. It was so comfortable I have tried to get one for my bed, but I have been told that you cannot move around easily on a mattress made of this. The topper was so very comfortable I really am considering purchasing just that because the mattresses run thousands which I cannot afford. I was told too that with the mattress there is no need to move around or toss and turn because it conforms to your body and there are no pressure points which does make sense. Just curious if anyone has such a bed. Thanx to all and to all a good nights rest.

• RA-Lola
    RA-Lola July 31, 2011 at 10:47 pm   

This is interesting information. I've suffered RA for 13 years now, and agree with the study. I find it difficult to make it through an 8 hour work day.

• ChildofHipHop
    ChildofHipHop July 28, 2011 at 10:25 am   

I haven't purchased yet. But I went to the Sleep Number store and did a test run and am convinced that when we purchase (still saving) this is the one for me.

I especially like that you can dial it up or down depending on where you are in your pain for that time. I hope it will help me find more comfort since I only recently started waking up from my sleep with the joint pain.

• cometicclown
    cometicclown July 28, 2011 at 11:57 am   

I still miss my sleep # bed..lost it to a hurrican…mattress goes on sale for $600. all you need is a plat form or box spring..sign up for thier web site for sales

• ChildofHipHop
    ChildofHipHop July 28, 2011 at 3:08 pm   

Good to know. I'll sign up on their website. Thank you!!

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar