RA vs. psoriatic arthritis

By *Sunshine* Latest Activity July 19, 2011 at 11:07 pm Views 2,465 Replies 7 Likes 6

*Sunshine*

Hello ~ I am new here and I am curious to know if anybody out there knows which of the two arthritic diseases, rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis, is the worse of the two evils???

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (7 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Frank ZX
    Frank ZX August 28, 2011 at 5:43 pm   

I don't know which is worse. My cousin has RA and I have psoriasis arthritis. He don't use any pain meds and is on disability. I use pain meds and work full time. He never complains about pain and his hands are disfigured. I hurt most of the time and look 100% normal except white dead skin on both knees. I think both are very similar except where the arthritis is. I also think some people deal with pain better than others. No 2 people have the exact same symptoms, at least that's the way it seems.
    Frank

• Nichole81
    Nichole81 July 27, 2011 at 8:40 pm   

My rheumatologist explained to me that they were both the same as far as joint damage and pain go…but psoratic arthritis just means you have RA with psoriasis. I have psoratic arthritis and was just diagnosed last week with reiter''s syndrome. Anyone ever heard of that??

• *Sunshine*
    *Sunshine* July 27, 2011 at 9:01 pm   

Nichole ~ I've definitely heard of reiter's syndrome … but I can't recall what it is right off the top of my head. ???

• ChildofHipHop
    ChildofHipHop July 21, 2011 at 10:38 am   

For me, my Rheumatologist determined mine was psoriatic arthritis after analyzing my cradle's cap on my scalp. In many ways like TrueBeliever said, they are the same as far as the pain and edema (swelling) in my joints. The psoriatic just seems to come with the added bonus of burning, red, itchy, flaky unattractive skin. I can also gauge how bad my joints are going to be on any given day based on my scalp and an itchy tingling in the skin on my back (my arthritis is in my spine). Keep researching though as I feel after reading these boards that no 2 people are affected the same… Take care, Fee

• TrueBeliever
    TrueBeliever July 20, 2011 at 7:17 pm   

I think in some ways these two can be a lot alike. All I can really do is explain what I've experienced, so here goes. Probably about 15 years ago I went to a Rheumatologist, (this was many years after being diagnosed with Osteo Arthritis) he was looking at my hands and the x-rays of my hands, plus my blood tests showing a high Rheumatoid Factor. He asked if I had ever had Psoriasis, (basically dry skin patches). I told him I had from time to time but nothing major. He told me that since the middle knuckle of my pinkies started acting up first it could not be Rheumatoid Arthritis because that starts at the first knuckle, closest to your hand, so it had to be Psoriatic Arthritis-mutilans. I asked him what difference it made and after much explaination it really sounded to me like there wasn't much difference. Remember though, this was a long time ago, research has come a long way on some things. I think you should go to WebMD.com and look them both up for your own satisfaction. Then, if you're diagnosed with one or the other you at least can tell the difference from real doctors. May God Bless on your journey!

• *Sunshine*
    *Sunshine* July 21, 2011 at 12:16 am   

Thank you True Believer…I really appreciate your taking the time to give me such a great answer.

• TrueBeliever
    TrueBeliever July 21, 2011 at 2:29 am   

Anytime! Let me know if you find out anything interesting! Happy hunting!

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar