How Does Air Conditioning affect you with Arthritis????

By morningsunshine Latest Activity July 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm Views 4,416 Replies 32 Likes 10

morningsunshine

Air Conditioning really affects me. I get so chilled from air conditioning and it hurts my artificial joints in my hips and knees. While riding in a car, if the air is on I cover up with a blanket always. In the house, the same thing, I have to cover up other wise my joint area's hurt. The air conditioning hurts my chest and I catch a cold from the air and its lead me to catch bronchitis and even pneumonia. So we use little air conditioning. Does anyone else have any problems with airconditioning? Maybe its good thing we live in northern Minnesota and we don't have to have air on much! When on vacations to tropical islands, I always come home with colds because we have the air conditioning on. Even the air on the planes bother me? I have a few other friends that have artificial joints and it also bothers them some, however not as much as me! Let me know what you think?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (32 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • ZOWLUCY
    ZOWLUCY August 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm   

i have my own tropical vacation every day however my air is set at 77-78 and i always have a light blankie the only body part that gets cold is my feet and it makes them thump

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine August 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm   

I can relate to that…Thanks for your response!

• renih
    renih August 4, 2011 at 1:12 pm   

I am so glad u posted this!! I thot i was the only one i am always covering up because i cant stand the feel of the air it isnt that i wouldnt like to be cool and not sweat it just hurts and makes me achey all over! hubby thinks i am crazy but if i had my way the air would stay about 77 or 78 lol but i prolly still have a light blankie

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine August 4, 2011 at 1:22 pm   

I agree my hubby likes it cool and probably thinks I'm crazy when I say can we turn off the air? (LOL) Thanks for your reply!

• Auburn Bill
    Auburn Bill August 4, 2011 at 10:58 am   

I donot like the a/c in the bedroom, it dries my nose and mouth and sometimes hurts my joints also. I do carry a small fleece blanket in the car upfront just in case! My hands usually bother me when the ac is on on those hot days in the car! Grandpa Bill

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine August 4, 2011 at 11:04 am   

I so agree! I've got my blanket for the car also! I don't use the air in the bedroom either. At hotels, I wake up with my mouth and nose dry and my joints hurting when my husband decides to turn it on. Thanks for replying.

• squog master
    squog master August 3, 2011 at 11:18 pm   

For me it depends on the temp & the length of time I'm in the AC. At home I have to use my AC due to severe allergies to pollens. Also high heat & humidity affects my asthma. I can't have my windows open from the time pollen season starts until the 3rd hard frost in Nov. I am single & live alone so I have that luxury of being able to control it myself. Being able to control the temp myself makes all the diff in the world.

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine August 4, 2011 at 11:07 am   

You are lucky because when its hot my husband goes to turn on the air. I don't complain usually and I just cover up with a blanket. My husband would keep it like a freezer at times. (LOL) Not really but it feels so cold to me. Thanks for your input.

• Papaw102
    Papaw102 August 3, 2011 at 11:07 pm   

I like it too be about 65 to 70 all the time. To hot stiff , too cold stiff .

• squog master
    squog master August 4, 2011 at 11:23 am   

When I was working I was outside alot working w/kids and I found that when the temp was about 65-75 my arthritis hurt the least amount.

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine August 4, 2011 at 11:08 am   

Sounds about right…

• edvel54
    edvel54 July 22, 2011 at 3:27 am   

I keep my house much warmer in the summer than most.
    My thermostat is set at 90 so the AC doesn't come on much.
    I can't even sit by a fan. Along with arthritis , I take blood thinners, so I am cold alot of the time. My family thinks I crazy because I sleep with a heavy comforter & wear a jacket when it is 100 outside

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine August 4, 2011 at 11:10 am   

Me too…I have extra blankets on my side of the bed. I will always turn on the fan instead of using air if I can! Thanks for your reply…At least I know I'm not the only one that is affected because of air!

• AEdens83
    AEdens83 July 19, 2011 at 1:03 pm   

AC sucks for Arthritis. I can't stand to have the house less than 78 because my joints flare up! Mainly my knees… not so much the rest of my body. But it is true the AC does not help with ur arthritis.

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine August 4, 2011 at 11:12 am   

I hear what your saying…Air conditioning doesn't help our affected joints that already hurt. Thanks for your reply! :)

• MsIntact
    MsIntact July 17, 2011 at 10:48 am   

I can walk into a room, building or car with AC and feel the increase in my pain level until I walk back out. I have to stay in a 80 to 85 degree condition just to keep the pain at what I call my live-able level. One reason I moved to Texas.

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine August 4, 2011 at 11:14 am   

Wow, I'm very sensitive to air and I feel the same way. Without even thinking, if there is air on in a room, I'll pick a warmer room to sit in! :) Thanks for replying!

• TrueBeliever
    TrueBeliever July 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm   

YES!!! I'm lucky in that I don't have allergies. But my arthritis is very much affected by the AC in the house or car. It hurts every single joint from fingers to knees, my ankles and toes aren't bad yet. I have problems not only with AC but cold, humidity and wind. Even the breeze from the ceiling fans hurts my joints. If I wear short or a sleeveless top I have to throw on a blanket to watch TVand we keep our house at about 82-85 degree year round. You see why I live in the desert!

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine July 13, 2011 at 10:49 pm   

Thanks for response. At least I feel there are other people out there that air conditioning affects. I see you use a blanket too! It really helps! :)

• Gemm
    Gemm July 13, 2011 at 1:00 pm   

I don't have artificial joints - yet - though my doctor has talked to me about the subject as something I will most probably be facing within the next 5 years or so, possibly sooner. Right now I have more problems from heat than cold, especially when there is also high humidity. We've been having 100+ temperatures here in TN lately and I was out with my husband doing some stripping of the ceiling molding (we are repainting) from our living room and had to stop and come back in doors. I could barely walk back in from the pain I had from the heat and once I had been back inside in the AC for about 1/2 hr or so I could move a lot better. I also found out something else - I can get a sunburn sitting in the shade where NO sunlight at all can get through. I knew better than sit in the sun, even with lower temperatures because of some of the meds I take that make me more sensitive to sunlight, but getting a sunburn sitting in the shade was a new one on me.

My ex-mother-in-law though did have artificial knees and she had that problem with hers in AC, especially if she had to be where it was blowing directly on them. So, I'll see if/when I have to look at the artificial knees &/or hips about what works for me, though I have other health problems that are also aggravated by heat.

HUGS to all

• squog master
    squog master August 3, 2011 at 10:54 pm   

I actually got a burn blister THROUGH my shorts on my belly last Sunday. Didn't know that could happen either.

• squog master
    squog master August 3, 2011 at 10:54 pm   

I actually got a burn blister THROUGH my shorts on my belly last Sunday. Didn't know that could happen either.

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine July 13, 2011 at 10:54 pm   

I'm glad you responded and let me know this…the blowing directly on me is a bad idea. Its happened and I have to move and also still cover up. I agree the humidity being high is a killer. That also affects me negatively. :) Thanks!

• Lana
    LanaPA July 13, 2011 at 11:53 am   

I have not had a lot of joint issues related to the air conditioner. I have just had a lot of headaches. Of course, min is usually at 75 which means that it is only one when it gets hotter than 75. Last night, it was cool so I just opened up the windows because I had a lingering headache and I didn’t want it to get worse.

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine July 13, 2011 at 12:24 pm   

I would rather open a window and get a breeze anytime over using the air conditioner.Glad you h/a didn't get worse! :)

• marieanne
    marieanne July 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm   

Sorry, forgot 1 more item, for bad allergies or breathing concerns-
    replace or wash bed pillows often. This might help you also. marieanne

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine July 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm   

Wish all my allergies I wash all bedding often in hot hot water. I use the allergy free pillow liners and liner for mattress pad too. I think it must help! :)

• marieanne
    marieanne July 12, 2011 at 9:14 pm   

I don't have this problem, thank God! I might if I sat too close to the
    AC, bc my back wouldn't be able to handle the cold up close but
    luckily, not yet. It might help u to have a clean air machine, you can usually
    get them for under $50.00 on sale. One with a "Hepa filter",
    sounds like what you need, make sure all your filters are keep very clean,*
    and leave that cleaning to someone else to lesson your contact with air-
    borne particles. Even consider the "Hepa filter" in ur vacuum cleaner.
    It sounds like you are very sensitive to air-borne allergens & this might be
    making you sick w/ bronchitis, etc. Good post & I hope this helps u some
    I have to be careful here too as I have really bad allergies which can
    progress to worse things, if I'm not careful, I am even allergic to dust!
    Hugs, marieanne

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine July 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm   

I do have a couple hepa filter machines. I use it more in the winter though because I like keeping my patio widow open and other windows. (Which I know isn't good either) and the vacumn I use is the Dyson Animal and both the upstairs and downstaire vacumn have hepa filters. I love these vacumn's. They are awesome at picking up dust, etc. Maybe my allergies are what act up with the air conditioning but my joints hurt so bad so I know its the use of the air. Oh well I always keep a fuzzy blanket at hand even in the vehicles, and it helps. Thanksfor your reply girlfriend!

• hobber
    hobber July 12, 2011 at 8:48 pm   

Yes, Morningsunshine I (kinda) know what you mean. I don't have artificial joints (yet), but air conditioning adds to my stiffness. My rheumatologist told me that it causes the synnovial fluid in my joints to thicken and that's what causes the stiffness. Unfortunately here in S. Indiana where the temp now is in mid nineties and relative humidity is high nineties Air conditioning is necessary. I bet winter in Minnesota is really rough for you.

• krc314
    krc314 June 22 at 7:05 pm   

I an new to this group, however i already feel in stress leaving. Although I hate that others suffer, it is nice to know i am not alone in this journey. The air conditioned atmosphere is so hard on me…my pain level is over the top. Thanks to everyone of this posting for you sharing and comments.

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine July 13, 2011 at 12:39 pm   

You are right, that makes sense! Winters are aweful on me, thats why my husband and I are trying to figure out where to go in winter months when he retires in the future.Humidity is more of a killer to me than heat. I love heat, I can sit in a dry sauna no problem, the humidity makes me hurt bad! The stiffness, the swelling and pain… Thanks for your reply! :) Good day to you!

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar