Undiagnosed Joint Pain on Left Side Only

By lindseyc Latest Activity May 25, 2011 at 3:28 pm Views 7,323 Replies 4 Likes 4

lindseyc

I have been experiencing pain in the joints on the left side of my body on and off for over a year and a half. It started with a few days of moderate pain in my left hip, left knee, and left ankle, which would sometimes extend to my left shoulder, left elbow, and left wrist. It would only last a few days and then disappear for several weeks. Since the end of January (2011), the pain has become constant and severe, in all of my left joints. I have a high ANA, but have been told I do not have lupus or RA, based on the lack of inflammation markers. I have had every test under the sun. The only somewhat interesting results: elevated copper, high serum oxalate, and unexplained dramatic changes in my cortisol levels (200% changes without corticosteroids). My brain MRI is clean. However, I have an intense pressure on the back of the RIGHT part of my head that does not respond to the heavy narcotic pain medications I am prescribed for my severe and debilitating joint pain.

Does anyone have any similar symptoms, stories, or perhaps even a diagnosis? I welcome ANY advice or comments!!

Thank you all,
Lindsey

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (4 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • FlamingoGirl1
    FlamingoGirl1 May 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm   

Did you ever find out why the left side of your body and joints hurt? Mine is the right side and started about 5 months ago. I've been tested for arthritis negative. Doing physical therapy some help not a lot. Seems to be getting worse. Ant suggestions would be grateful.

• blkeleny
    blkeleny November 29, 2011 at 10:44 pm   

Possibly Lyme disease. Often certain types of test can show up negative while still having the disease. Either way I hope all is getting better.

• marieanne
    marieanne July 26, 2011 at 2:08 am   

I am sorry to hear about your pain, sounds quite severe. You didn't mention if the MRI included the head, I find it odd, that these pain killers don't even put a
    dent in this pain. If you haven't already, consider getting MRI of the head, if that's
    already been done, consider a good Chiropractor as muscles in the neck
    can cause severe pain to the head when they are tight or something there
    has been stressed enough, surprisingly. This can be very painful. I would
    try the Chiropractor 1st, in any case, and it's best to go with "word of mouth"
    on selecting one, if people u know are happy with them, they are probably
    quite good. Some, are not so good. I would not put this off too long. I am
    not a qualified professional, to advise you or diagnose, but I have had the
    awful tight muscles in my neck, it can even make u dizzy. Wishing u best of
    luck in this, please let us know how u are doing~ Hugs, marieanne

• hobber
    hobber May 26, 2011 at 9:59 am   

I'm sorry to hear about your pain. Since your doctor cannot seem to pinpoint a diagnosis you may consider a referral to a large university or research hospital. IU Med in Indianapolis has an excellent department for this sort of problem. Other states have similar programs.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar