Can you have both osteo-arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis?

By morningsunshine Latest Activity April 24, 2011 at 9:46 pm Views 4,880 Replies 19 Likes 6

morningsunshine

I was wondering if many people out there are diagnosed with both types of arthritis or is it generally just 1? Thr reason I ask…I have severe osteo-arthritis and fibromyalgia. Both my grandmas, my mom, and sister have rheumatoid. Yet, I keep getting tested every 2 years and I don't have any signs of RA. (thank-goodness, the other 2 are enough.) I just wondered and am hoping that you all tell me having both types are not the "usual condition" with the disease. I don't know anyone with both types.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (19 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • slwr
    slwr August 1 at 3:36 pm   

I also have both RA and Osteo. The Osteo is in my back and the RA is mainly in my hands and feet, knees and hip some. So yes you can have both. It seems like it is quite common. Just wanted to add my two cents worth also. LOL

• Middleboromaid
    Middleboromaid May 13 at 9:36 pm   
    Edited May 13 at 9:42 pm by Middleboromaid

Hi. I'm new. I have osteoarthritis, atypical rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, myasthenia gravis, bi-polar AND gastroparesis. I no longer have to complain about the lumbar spine pain or the left hip pain. That was finally diagnosed as leg length discrepancy and I wear a lift in my left shoe. After the epidural…no pain. At least in those two places. Hooray. I won the jackpot. Just being a smart alleck. Oh, wanted to add. I have been stable with the bi-polar since I was diagnosed over a decade ago. Years ago I watched a friend go off his meds repeatedly. That scared me enough that when I was diagnosed I knew staying on my meds was crucial. I hate it for him but I feel blessed to have seen that so I knew how to act when it became me.

• edvel54
    edvel54 January 3, 2012 at 10:06 am   

Yes, you can have both. I have RA in my knees and OA in my shoulders

• hobber
    hobber May 13, 2011 at 11:12 pm   

Actually both conditions together are quite common. As my rheumatologist explained it to me the synovial fluid present in RA causes joint erosion which results in OA.

• brneyesga
    brneyesga May 13, 2011 at 3:07 pm   

Hi morninggsunshine-like your sign on name-but sorry yes you can have both-I finally was diagnosised w/fibro, poly-arthitis, and degenative joint disease when my "other" drs would do blood tests the RA might show up and then I was also told I had a "touch" of RA finally went to the Mayo Clinic and got a good or I should say 2 good drs (RA & Ortho) the reason they kept saying I didn't have RA was because I didn't "fit" all the critiere for it one dr said I wasn't a "book case" anway good luck do light exercises talk to people here

• Misty91
    Misty91 May 29, 2011 at 11:02 am   

you sound similar to what I have but I have not gone to mayo yet. It's so expensive to go to the doctors and get the meds I often just suffer

• brneyesga
    brneyesga June 3, 2011 at 12:56 pm   

They weill work w/people Misty I have medicare so most of my bills were paid for, so if you have insurance they will take it I know they don't take Humana but I would call your insurances and ask as the Mayo told me wrong stuff about medicare. Know meds can be expensive but some of the makers of meds have programs that help people out w/cost believe me between my husband's problems and mine I did alot of checking on how to get help can't be proud as I know "our" generations can be but when it comes down to meds or food you do what you need to do. take care of yourself

• JerZGrl
    JerZGrl May 8, 2011 at 10:25 pm   

Hi, I have both RA and osteo, I also have Fibromyalgia…needed knee replacement from the RA..It seeems to be eating my joints away.. the Dr.s cant get me into remission, and I just found out I'm prone to Lymphoma if the Ra dosent go into remission.. Never knew anything about autoamune disease..It sure aint easy. Having these things isn't for sissy's..Good luck. I hope you never get RA. P.S. My Mother dosen't seem to know of any relatives with these things..So I'm puzzled!

• slwr
    slwr August 1 at 3:43 pm   

Hi JerZGrl, my mom said the same thing to me but with some studying and searching I found that RA is a autoimmune disease which covers a lot of things. The main thing in my family was the thyroid disease which is autoimmune. There are lots of other things that can be autoimmune. Do some searching and i bet you will find something in the family that hits it. Good luck and if you need anymore help feel free to ask.

• careing
    careing May 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm   

Hi i have neurothpy and take medicine for it

• Shirlwain
    Shirlwain May 6, 2011 at 12:57 am   

Hi I have osteoporosis and osteo-arthritis, so you can have more than one type at a time.

• watrmdn
    watrmdn May 6, 2011 at 3:39 pm   

Sorry shirlwain, sometimes it's a double dose of stress! Hang in there!

• llloydine
    llloydine April 30, 2011 at 11:56 am   

I also have osteo and RA the dr told me that right off . so far Have no broken bones, My hands are the worse I sew a lot they are really bad. [ for work]

• tharr
    tharr April 25, 2011 at 1:20 am   

I do have both osteo and RA. I have had osteo since around the age of 27 from sports related injuries and was diagnosed with RA at age 44.

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine April 24, 2011 at 11:12 pm   

Sofado: Not that familiar with psoriatric arthritis,is it a type you give yourself weekly shots for? I'll have to read up on it. I truly don't need anything else! (we all probably say this!) What do you do for pain?

• sofado
    sofado April 25, 2011 at 1:18 am   

PsA (psoriatic arthritis) for all intents and purposes is very similar to RA (rheumatoid arthritis) but it includes Psoriasis. It is treated in much the same way that RA is treated. I get infusions of Remicaid & give myself shots of methotrexate. I also have topical meds for flares of Psoriasis. It's kind of weird to think of it this way but the arthritis and Psoriasis are actually the same disease for me.

• sofado
    sofado April 24, 2011 at 9:55 pm   

Maybe you don't want to hear this but here goes - I have Psoriatic Arthritis, Osteo-arthritis, and fibromyalgia. They all came to me at different times but they are all here to stay now!

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 May 1, 2011 at 9:55 pm   

I have 2 of those. It's rough on us.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar