Crooked fingers on both hands...

By chigrl49 Latest Activity April 5, 2011 at 7:29 am Views 3,865 Replies 3 Likes 2

chigrl49

Hello everyone,

I have a problem that I have not seen on the discussion boards as yet. I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis many years ago. Since that time I have found no medication that would help with the increasing pain and swelling I have everyday.

One of my first symptons was my middle finger on my right hand is all crooked over and the first joint is pretty much gone. I can actually push the first joint sideways. The rest of the right hand is fast following the middle finger. Now, my left hand is starting to do the same, starting with the middle finger, and onto the rest. There is also swelling all the time in both hands. I have had to learn to use the palms of my hands the the tips of my fingers to do pretty much everything. The pain in both my hands is at level 8 all the time, and nothing seems to be able to relieve that pain.

I am wondering, is this how Osteoarthritis presents itself? I have know many people with Osteo and I have never seen anyones fingers that are doing what mine are.

I also have arthritis in my neck, shoulder, lower back L-4 and L-5, my knees, ankles and feet, and have had a right hip replacement.

I have an appointment with a new Rheumatologist on the 22nd and am afraid that he is going to do the same thing that the two previous Rheumatogists have told me, "it is just Osteo and there is nothing we can do for you, go back to your general practionier."

Any thoughts?
Thanks a bunch.
Rory

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (3 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Drew Girl
    Drew Girl April 16, 2011 at 8:19 am   

Hi Rory, we have a lot in common with Osteo. It is my hope that your new doctor will be better than the previous ones.

As I mentioned my joints in my hands are trying to fuse themselves together, you can see it in the xrays. I force them to move as much as I can bear. I have had to undergo cervical fusion c-3 thru c-5 are all one now, I have osteo all over my body, feet, hips all pretty much the same as you do. I know it is painful and like you I have had little relief. The doctor has tried a lot of the new medications on me but I have not been able to physically tolerate them.

The only thing that has actually offered me any relief is yoga, and that in itself is painful to do, but I force myself to do it every day. After I endure that pain I have a bit of relief for a few hours in my lower back, hips, and knees. I am not recommeding that you start something like this without speaking to a doctor, as with all things what works for one may not work for another.

I hope this new Doc will be compassionate and find ways to help you. Make a list of everything that you want to talk about and take it with you. Sometimes when I go to a new doc I get flustered with everything that he is saying that I forget to get him to listen to all of my concerns. Blue Skies to you
    Love Drew

• chigrl49
    chigrl49 April 16, 2011 at 2:20 pm   

Hey girl, thank you so much for your reply. My fingers aren't fusing themselves together, just crooking, swelling and hurting all the time. I would guess that maybe fusing together might be next.

My back is bad at L-4 and L-5 and there are times when I can barely get up off the couch and start to walk. I have found that a shot in my hip, some sort of steriod I believe, has been a help for a few weeks at a time.

I also have been doing some yoga. I bought a Wii fit plus exercise DVD to go with my Wii system and it does have yoga as part of the exercise routine. There are some or I should say most of the yoga exercises that I simply cannot do, but I do the ones I can. Then I go into some aerobic that is pretty simple and I do that. I have to say that since starting to do some exercise I can notice a difference in how I feel. Better.

I too, hope this new doctor can help. My fear is that he will tell me the same as the last two, that is that he can't help me because I don't have rheumatiod arthritis. My feeling is that the crooked fingers are a sign that there is more going on here then just the osteo. I have known many people with osteo and have never seen fingers like mine, ever.

So, we will see. It is good to have someone who understands and will talk with me. Most people I know just don't understand. So many people have a little arthritis and they take a Tylenol and all is good. They don't understand the constant struggle to move and the constant pain.

Have a wonderful day, and thanks for taking the time to write.
    Rory

• Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 April 5, 2011 at 3:11 pm   

I think you are wrong and you can go into pain management also, I have Rhumatoid and i swell and hurt but my Rhumatologist has kept my pain to a minium. Always have a positive attitude it will help more than anything. Sincerely Lizzie

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar