How Do You Deal With Managing Pain

By tharr Latest Activity February 22, 2011 at 3:46 pm Views 11,809 Replies 118 Likes 25

tharr

We have all seen tips on how best to manage pain. They range from thinking positive thoughts, having a sense of humor and eating right to exercising.

Personally, I try to keep moving most days (we all have days where the pain and fatigue stop us in our tracks) because if I sit around much, I notice that I am hurting and if I start thinking about the pain, soon I am hurting worse. I don't have time to sit around and hurt worse. The more you focus on something outside your body, such as a hobby or other activity, the less you will be aware of physical discomfort.

For me, it is my motorcycles (see my photos tab) and my music room. I played in a band when I was younger and I still have 2 bass guitars and a 200 watt Peavey amp that I play on my good days. I am a huge audiophile with 320 albums (still love the vinyl sound), 580 CD's and 4526 MP3's on my computer. I run a Sony 500 watt amp driving 2 Athena AS-F1 and 2 Athena WS-60 speakers along with a Sony 200 watt powered subwoofer. I can literally rattle the windows. I have a plush easy chair sitting roughly 25 feet in front of the speakers and can lose myself for hours listening to music. I listen to mostly blues and classic rock, with a little bit of alternative, metal and an occasional country song.

What do you use for a distraction from the pain?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (118 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • GraceSol
    GraceSol November 2, 2012 at 11:07 am   

Bikrams yoga and playing my guitar is what I love. Getting to yoga is a challenge but once there I'm glad I came. I'm trying to get ready for snowboarding season coz I don't ever want to stop doing that. I'm a little afraid coz my body aches but I know if I treat my body right with yoga , music and nutrition, maybe the cold snow won't be so bad this season.

• tharr
    tharr November 12, 2012 at 2:19 pm   

Nice to meet you GraceSol. I love that you're so active, RA has taken a lot away from my once active lifestyle. I think I would like snowboarding, but the cold hurts me too much now. Keep on doing what you love!

• Amy :)
    Amy :) February 24, 2012 at 1:05 pm   

I do what I can when I can. I may be slower on some days, but I just push myself to keep on moving. When it's really painful, and my activities are limited, I quilt or knit while listening to a favorite music station. Before I know it, time has passed by and I have done something constructive.

• TrishPH
    TrishPH January 20, 2012 at 8:13 pm   

Very nicely put Tharr. I also keep myself going by going to the gym at least two to three times a week. I enjoy decorating, reading and surfing on my iPad. I love the outdoors and try to be in it as much as possible but not too much when it is cold. When the pain gets bad I would rather get into the hot tub than take meds, I try to stay rested, not get involved with too much stress it always make my pain feel worse.

• lovemy12baby
    lovemy12baby September 24, 2011 at 2:59 pm   

swimming in a warm pool.

• tharr
    tharr November 10, 2011 at 3:25 am   

Great exercise, I like warm pools now having RA.

• memaw
    memaw July 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm   

I am the photographer of our family. I do scrapbooking and have gotten into making photo albums on some of the picture developing web sites (shutterfly, snapfish, etc). We do family dinners every weekend (14 people) and have most of the birthday celebrations at our house also. I love gardening and do what I can in that area. I try to keep a neat house though actual cleaning can be a real challenge. I always have music on and listen to whatever I fel like at the time (classic rock, country, blues, jazz, just about anything) I like to color with my grandkids and organize anything. We love to go to concerts and plays at the local award winning Community Theatre. I spend a lot more time by myself since I retired, but I always seem to be doing something, and that's what it is all about. Even the Eagles on their last CD had a song about DO SOMETHING! Keep busy, keep moving and do something. Like I have said before…IF IT IS TO BE IT IS UP TO ME! And more than anything else, keep laughing, there's only one way out of this pain, and till I get there, my sense of humor will be my constant companion. God gave me such a good sense of humor cause my life is such a joke,…my motto!

• marieanne
    marieanne June 17, 2011 at 2:10 pm   

Stay as busy as poss., lucky 4 me, I have many hobbies so there is always
    something 4 me to do! Laughter & making others laugh is important to
    me, as well as visiting w/ friends & spreading joy whenever poss. Doing
    kind things 4 others & being kind to others is also important to me as
    we all need this from others & it only makes things better. I've al-
    ways been very active & hate sitting & feeling "unproductive" so I
    have this habit of pushing myself, sometimes to far- but my Doc says
    that's good, I'm glad she feels this way bc I'd do it anyway- not
    stubborn at all! lol. I miss all the sports I used partake in but "no
    complaining", I still can do many things- thank God… may we all keep
    keeping on. hugs, marieanne

• tharr
    tharr June 17, 2011 at 7:04 pm   

Hobbies are great and you can't have enough friends. I went through the part of hating the sitting around, but soon you realize this is just a part of recharging yourself. Don't fight it and soon your body will be ready to get back out and do things again. I still shoot some hoops when I feel like it and ride my motorcycles and bicycle, but thats about it for me. I miss the good old days too.

• Tekismommy
    Tekismommy May 29, 2011 at 10:00 pm   

Hi!! Love your story of inspiration!! Thank you!! I am newly diagnosed with RA and fibro. I try to keep busy as well. I have a 4 yr old chihuahua that keeps me very busy!!! I don't know what I would do without her! She's great. She knows when I'm having a bad day and let's me rest. It's pretty amazing!!

I scrapbook and do flower arrangments when my fingers will let me and watch sitcoms to make me laugh. I live working in the yard with my plants and flowers. I can't do that much anymore bc of the severe pain in my back, but I try. I also love music. I am listening to it now trying to unwind for bed. I love classical all the way to alternative. I listen to it all…except country, that's too depressing!!! Lol I find that music helps me move wether it's cleaning house or whatever. It also helps me relax.

• tharr
    tharr May 30, 2011 at 1:56 am   

We have an Australian Terrier and a Coton (both inside dogs) who are such a huge part of our life. It's amazing how they can sense when you don't feel good.
    I know all about when your fingers will let you. We all do here, the more you find out about people here you will see we're all basically in the same boat. I couldn't make it without my dogs, laughing or music everyday.

• alphalexx
    alphalexx April 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm   

I have just gotten a new job. I was out of work for 7 months. I was in so much pain in the last 2 months. Now that I go to work which is a physical job I hurt but I do not think about it, I think about my job and what I have to do. For me keeping my mind busy and productive is the key to me not experiencing the horrible pain I sometimes get. I think being out of work made it worse.

• Gramma K
    Gramma K May 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm   

Way to go! You've found one of the keys to getting through a day. Congratulations on finding a job, too!

• tharr
    tharr April 29, 2011 at 8:11 am   

I also work a pretty physical job for 12 hour shifts. Some days are worse than others, but I just keep on pushing til the end of my shift. I have FMLA on my RA but have never used it in the 5 years that I have had it. I would advise getting that (if your employer has disciplinary actions for attendance) so if you need to use it.

• Gramma K
    Gramma K April 16, 2011 at 5:10 pm   

Tharr I certainly agree with you! Keep moving! Sure it hurts but it's a heck of a lot better than freezing up! I would add as a MUST…KEEP SMILING, SINGING and LAUGHING. "A cheerful heart does good like a medicine!"

• Jane32
    Jane32 June 15, 2011 at 6:14 pm   

Very that's all good what you said you must keep cheerful and happy I have a great husband who looks after me he takes care of me my husband is my rock even if you hurt just do your beat to keep as happy as you can

• tharr
    tharr April 29, 2011 at 8:07 am   

Laughter is great medicine! I learned early in life to laugh at myself, it has come in handy now. It's better to laugh about the clumsy things I do now rather than get mad or frustrated.

• Shane794
    Shane794 April 15, 2011 at 9:32 am   

I do light exercise; Yoga, Chi Kung, deep breathing,and other stretching exercises. The 18 Lohans Chi Kung taught by Sifu Wong Kiew Kit in his two books are easy to do and provide good stretching and relaxation. His books are titled: "The Art of Chi Kung," and "Chi Kung for Health and Vitality."

• Gramma K
    Gramma K May 3, 2011 at 12:10 pm   

Chi Kung? That's a new one for me. I'll google it to see what it is. Do you find that these Yoga or other types of mystical exercises are difficult to do if you have severe balancing issues?

• juliekristina
    juliekristina March 13, 2011 at 10:23 pm   

Yesterday I came across a book called "The Mozart Therapy" which is exactly what you are doing…music therapy. I do this also…it is so important for our brains. I also love vintage, art, go to the ocean when I feel well enough. Singing helps. I have recently began to write…I have so many ideas and so many things I want to do. My husband said I get all hyper and do everything full speed and then crash for a day or two.
    I also try to think of others and write them. It is weird but I find that sometimes I am in too much pain to speak and cannot breathe fast enough to keep the conversation from being too tiring.
    I am also an advocate for animals, infertility, animals, animals and animals.
    I involve myself very much with my little autistic neice and love her to pieces. I watch old black and white movies, exercise and continue my research on homeopathic remedies, herbs, Bach flower essence, therapeutic oils, angstrom minerals, reflexology and other natural practices.
    I am also a HUGE advocate against GMO's. Genetically modified foods…Africa as a Continent has outlawed them…but not here. Monsanto is causing much suffering. Check it out.

• Jane32
    Jane32 June 15, 2011 at 6:18 pm   

Awwwww it's good to here your happy with your husband that is so lovely and that you enjoy your life togther that is very good but when you find it hard to breath that is hobble I have breathing probbles to and it's not very nice at all and when your in pain it's hobble but well done you for all you do oh

• Gramma K
    Gramma K April 16, 2011 at 5:12 pm   

"The Mozart Therapy" Who is the author and/or publisher? I teach people to play the piano and sing. I'm in my 58th year of private teaching and a long ago retired school music teacher so this book sounds right up my alley." Thank you so much JulieKristina for the suggestion!.

• Lin Bigknife
    Lin Bigknife April 15, 2011 at 10:36 am   

I would love to read "The Mozart Therapy" - do you have a site that it is on? Thanks, Lin

• oldbuttercup
    oldbuttercup March 15, 2011 at 7:07 am   

I'm glad you helped bring back the light hearted side of this thread. I tried to read your comment carefully and see how much positive stuff we have in common. I also like classical music, black and white movies, and course animals. I could tlak about them for hours. I am also a big fan of old TV shows, when TV was worth watching.
    I have not given much thought to different therapies or GMO's , although in the past my wife and I have said "what are they feeding the kids these days?"
    I try to do all I can on my good days also, because it is no longer a question if I will crash, just when: but that is getting a little negative again, and I do not want to right now.
    Bring back classical music to our youth, it was wonderful!
    As Always God BlessYou.
    PS I used to sing at work and it was greatly apreciated by the people I helped to care for. Keep on singing and enjoying it.

• juliekristina
    juliekristina March 15, 2011 at 4:57 pm   

Hahhaaaa! Yes sing out loud! My husband likes it,I like it…my friends like it..but my two little neices beg me to please stop singing! hahhaaa! Voice a bit cracked up lately:) Oh yes! Black and white movies are my favorite. I love Greer Garson, Viven Leigh, Maureen Ohara, oh so many wonderful actresses and of course…Betty Davis. I love old silent movies too. Did you know that John Gilmore lost his some of his popularity when the talkies came out? People thought his voice would be more…deep and confident. Greta Garbo did…oh what is that picture..oh…Queen Christina…and refused to do the part if Gilmore was not her lead. I thought he was most handsome and had a very masucline voice. What are some of your and your wifes favorites?

• tharr
    tharr March 14, 2011 at 1:27 am   

You certainly have enough going to keep you busy! This is great. I love animals also, volunteered at the local humane society 1 day a week for a year or so. Currently have 2 dogs and a cat, they are so much company and good therapy. It's awesome that you're involved with your niece. My hat's off to you.

• Gramma K
    Gramma K April 16, 2011 at 5:17 pm   

I too like animals but the top of my list are dogs and cats. I grew up with an amazingly nurturing and intelligent pitbull and in my l o n g years of life I've been Mom to Dachshunds, Huskie/Malamute/Wolf combo, terriers, and various cats including my last who is now in cat heaven, a tiny brown (sable) Burmese, named Dr. Who E. He even had his own credit card as does Rascal my wire-haired Dachshund/terrier mix rescue dog who keeps me going with his love and activities.
    I have a dear friend who runs a rescue and she has SO MANY animals who have been given up because people have lost their homes and can't have animals where they rent. That's rotten!…I mean that there are so many homeless animals, not that my friend helps save them.

• juliekristina
    juliekristina March 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm   

Thank you Tharr. I love animals soooooooooo much!!!! Most of my baby cats have been big and fluffy like me…we identify!LOL! I love dogs, rabbits, birds, fish, penguins and the list goes on. I used to LOOOVEEE "Swiss Family Robinson". I had dreamed of the day when I would have my own cool treehouse. Rock On!

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 14, 2011 at 6:25 pm   

Cool, you volunteered at the Humane Society!!

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 14, 2011 at 6:24 pm   

Animals are awesome companions. They just need love, food, and water. I worked for The Humane Society for a while. The reward of watching something…you once thought was a loss, make a complete turn around due to dedication of workers and volunteers. Good to hear that you did that tharr. Volunteers were such a help to us.

• tharr
    tharr March 14, 2011 at 6:51 pm   

I enjoyed it, actually my daughter wanted to volunteer and since she wasn't old enough to drive, I would drive her over on Saturday and at first didn't trust her around a bunch of strangers. After the first 3 weeks or so, I was hooked until I took a new job that had me working on Saturdays. Momma took over and volunteered with her for a while longer. That is where we found Frankie (the Great Pyrenees with the mohawk in my photos), our daughter fell in love with him and despite his size, he was so lovable and gentle. He was also 3 weeks from being destroyed since no one wants to adopt a small pony sized dog. He was the best dog that we have had so far.

• squog master
    squog master March 10, 2011 at 6:59 pm   
    Edited March 10, 2011 at 7:04 pm by squog master

I read insensitive comments from people hiding behind "anonymous" because it gets my dander up and adrenaline flowing and then the pain is less. I also find it funny that anyone would give a thumbs up to those comments. They probably come from "anonymous" cause no one else here would do that. LOL

• tharr
    tharr March 12, 2011 at 8:30 am   

I thought that the "likes" on the anonymous comments were pretty funny as well. Thanks squog!

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl March 10, 2011 at 9:59 pm   

Three Cheers!

• Su-Z-Q
    Su-Z-Q March 10, 2011 at 6:25 pm   

I also use distractions. I picked up beading necklaces a few years ago when I was recovering from rotator cuff surgery. I'm very crafty so I usually pick up some project that's been sitting awhile. I also try to keep active. My hubby and I enjoy fishing, NASCAR, and road trips. I listen to music, metal, southern rock, classic rock. Since my spine has gotten so bad some days I stay in bed and watch movies all day. I have found that I am huge fan of movies from the 30's and 40's. The way I get through the toughest times, I get inspiration from my dad and big brother. They were both coal miners and spent 8 to 12 hours underground in dampness, crawling around on their knees and never missed a shift. Daddy eventually lost his battle with black lung but he never let any of it affect his attitude. My brother is now disabled and I recently found out that in addition to his arthritis that is tied someway to eczema, he also has spinal degeneration like me. He still gives it all he has working around his home. They are both such inspirations to me. I know that if they worked like they did in all that pain then I can get through anything that is thrown at me.

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 14, 2011 at 6:27 pm   

I try to live by inspirations from people as well.

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl March 10, 2011 at 9:56 pm   

This is an amazing story. I love to make jewelry and enjoy a little NASCAR myself. The best part of this story is the inspiration behind it. I am always touched deep in my heart when I hear of the challenges that others face and overcome. This isn't my discussion but it is one that I have enjoyed reading so much. Thank you to tharr for writing it, and thank you for sharing this great story. Drew

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl March 10, 2011 at 4:48 pm   
    Edited March 10, 2011 at 5:59 pm by Drew Girl

Dear Anonymous, this discussion was written by a well respected member of this community, a person that I consider a member of my family. I am sad that you would write such unkind things. This is a person who works very hard and still manages to devote time to help others here. Perhaps you are new here and not familiar with how this works. I feel that our purpose is to help and comfort one another. Drew

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

[this has been removed for violation of our terms of use]

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl March 10, 2011 at 4:34 pm   
    Edited March 10, 2011 at 5:57 pm by Drew Girl

Its really a shame that you feel the need to hide behind the private window when saying such a thing. Many people including myself have found this discussion to be quite enjoyable. There are no sissies here on Arthritis Connect, we don't go about calling each other names. We stand together as a family and try to help each other deal with real and difficult problems. Perhaps you have to hide because you are ashamed of your name calling. It makes me sad that you would use these ugly words in a open forum of this kind. There are a lot of people in pain here. If we feel the need to share our pain we can count on others here to offer comfort. Blue Skies whoever you are. Drew

• Anonymous
    Anonymous March 10, 2011 at 2:06 pm   

i dont know what you are going through but you need to not makew an exucuse for the storm to get in the way of your pain

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 14, 2011 at 6:57 pm   

I don't know what you are going through. If you are angry…if you need to get rid of some built up frustrations, may I offer a simple solution, where nothing gets broke, and no one gets hurt…get a throw pillow, and toss it into the wall a few times, it can help releive some frustrations. It can help work out some muscles. Don't knock it, till you try it. At least no ones' feelings gets hurt, and your home doesn't get destroyed.

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 14, 2011 at 6:35 pm   

Awww. Anonymous, perhaps a stormy day hasn't came your way, yet. People don't use that as an excuse, if it was an excuse, lazy people could use it. Don't judge him. You don't have a clue how he feels, unless you somehow magically appeared inside of someone elses' body. If you can't say something nice to cheer up someone in pain, then what compassion do you have?? I dare say, one day- how would you feel if someone treated you this way? Shoes on different feet then. You have not walked in his shoes, therefore; you have no right to make nasty comments about how one feels. I think I am a tad bit upset with you, and I don't even know you, I don't know that I would want to know you, I already know enough inconsiderate rude people. Have a nice day! May you never hurt the way some do. Then on the other hand, perhaps 1 day of pain would make you see things in a different light.

• tharr
    tharr March 12, 2011 at 8:26 am   

I agree with Drew, you really don't have a clue about what it is like living with a chronic disease.
    I also like the way that you feel the need to hide behind the "Anonymous" after making these hateful statements. We really aren't bad people, you don't have to post anonymously.

• sassysaint24
    sassysaint24 April 15, 2011 at 11:29 pm   

Go tharr! I had to stay home today—pain and exhaustion getting the better of me. I love my job, teaching and kids. I hate what this has done—at least have the guts to show your face. You have no idea.

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl March 10, 2011 at 4:41 pm   

You are absolutely right. You obviously have no idea whatsoever what the people in this community are "going through". Be careful with your words. They are hurtful to others. No one here is making excuses, they are dealing with real problems.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous March 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm   

true but they need to be careful noit to be out to long cause its not good for them and some time it can cause cancer if they are not careful of what they do

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 14, 2011 at 6:52 pm   

???????

• Anonymous
    Anonymous March 10, 2011 at 1:59 pm   

what does that got to do with what you said. the kids will do things and be greatful for it

• Anonymous
    Anonymous March 10, 2011 at 1:56 pm   

you can get some kiuds out there that will do it to help with out paying. there are those who go to church and in the system that would be glad to do it free and yes some of them may ask for a small amount and be thankful for what they do for others

• Anonymous
    Anonymous March 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm   

then have it done for free and show that money is not everything. you can do things with others by showing them to volunteer to help others like u.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous

• amartin12357
    amartin12357 March 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm   

Somehow I think you are angry.
    If you have pain and it is the cause I am sorry. If you are living with someone and dealing with their pain and feeling abandoned in your relationship because your partner is not always capable of prior daily activities again I am sorry for you.
    Whatever the cause of your anger if it relates to arthritis and that equates to pain it will turn into anger until you have resolved this rage. Striking out at others will not solve it.
    We all know that anger is a normal reaction. Attacking and belittling isn't
    I jumped in to the middle of this and was reading your comments and can see that you are suffering behind your privacy. I offer sympathy. It is not easy to life angry. Additionally, it is not good for your health.
    I will not belabor this as you have your own computer and can Google any of this.
    The support offered here appears to be given from the heart and gives strength to the struggle endured by people whose days are made less easy by the complications of a disease that causes among one thing much pain.
    Look in the mirror and identify who is writing these harsh words and only you can tell yourself why. May you find peace and relief.

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 14, 2011 at 6:38 pm   

Awesome words of wisdom.

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl March 10, 2011 at 5:53 pm   

Wow, I am humbled by your post. I like to think of myself as compassionate but after reading this I realize that I have a long way to go in my learning process. There is so much kindness in your words. Just yesterday I was thinking that I wanted to try to be a better person for others and I think that because of what you have written here I have learned a very valuable lesson. I wrote a few words myself in frustration because I found the name calling upsetting, I realize now that perhaps that response was exactly what was expected of the reader. I will think more deeply before I speak in the future. Thank you for teaching me something that will be a very valuable lesson in my life. I feel blessed. Warmest Regards Drew

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 14, 2011 at 6:40 pm   

Drew, you are always compassionate. Don't kick yourself, b/c some one doesn't understand, that's their lack of knowledge. Let's hope they learn from this community.

• tharr
    tharr March 12, 2011 at 7:59 am   
    Edited March 12, 2011 at 8:35 am by tharr

I couldn't agree more Drew. Very articulate, thank you for a powerful lesson in compassion Audrey.

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 14, 2011 at 6:43 pm   

That was very nice of you, tharr. After being attacked by who knows who. It was noticed anger was an issue here, as well. We all get angry with ourself, cause we can't do what we once could, on some days, we might, on others we might not.

• amartin12357
    amartin12357 March 10, 2011 at 6:01 pm   

Thank you. That was kind of you to say.

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 14, 2011 at 6:44 pm   

You saw into the anger there. You replied with much self control. I think it teaches each of us, when we read what others have shared with us. Thank you.

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl March 10, 2011 at 4:39 pm   
    Edited March 10, 2011 at 5:55 pm by Drew Girl

I hope that when I reply to something I find frustrating in the future, I will remember the words of amartin12357.

• kagiof
    kagiof March 9, 2011 at 8:21 am   

I try to move around a lot and using a stationary bike when I can. I also use deep breathing and relaxation cds. I try to keep my mind active with reading and crocheting.

• tharr
    tharr March 9, 2011 at 2:49 pm   

These are good ones. I ride a stationary bike also for some of my cardio workout every week. Anything to keep your mind away from the pain, all good ones, thank you for your input.

• petals
    petals March 6, 2011 at 1:14 pm   

Keep on moving, and music!

• tharr
    tharr March 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm   

Hey petals, it's hard for me to argue with your plan. I do the same thing!

• squog master
    squog master March 11, 2011 at 10:15 pm   

To keep moving I like to water jog. But can't right now til the wound from the hernia surgery closes up.

• memmay2
    memmay2 March 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm   

I agree with you, moving around is the best way to manage my pain. I also love to lose myself in knitting and writing. Moving my brain with a cerebral activity like following a brand new knitting pattern can help me quiet down negative mind chatter. On intense pain days, my mind has a tendency to run negative commentary like, "oh great, looks like today is going to be a bust", "how am I going to come through on that social engagement today?", "I just want to stay in bed and curl up into a ball". If I can push myself beyond that negativity and accomplish something, (even if it is just knitting a sock) I feel much better about my circumstances. So, for me, I have to keep my mind engaged in activity as much as my body in order to cope with chronic pain. :)

• tharr
    tharr March 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm   
    Edited March 6, 2011 at 8:21 pm by tharr

Memmay2, nice to meet you. Great advice, our mind is a very powerful tool in helping (or hurting) us live with our disease. I do my best to keep on moving as much as I can. It doesn't take sitting very long for me to become stiff and hurt when I do get back up to do something.

• MsConnieLou
    MsConnieLou March 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm   

well i LOVE to do my yard work and flowers and have had a passion for it ALL my life but the pain seems to even over power me doing that,,, so i really dont understand the meditation or the mind over matter part of the pain… I want to do things that i enjoy and love but cant seem to get past the aches and cramps…

• tharr
    tharr March 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm   

I used to love doing yard work in my preRA days. Now, my yard (3 acres) has become a real chore to take care of. I still enjoy it, I just have to break it up into 2 days to mow, trim and weed eat now.

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 14, 2011 at 6:46 pm   

That's ok, you take the break when your body tells you.

• squog master
    squog master March 12, 2011 at 10:47 pm   

Wow 3 acres! And I thought 1 acre was big. Fortunately for me before the RA set in I moved to a condo so now I don't have to mow the lawn. Never minded doing yard work til the allergies set in. Then I had to take meds just to go out and mow the lawn.

• [deleted]
    [deleted]

• tharr
    tharr March 12, 2011 at 7:57 am   

deborahsnow2626, this is an open discussion among real people who live ever day with pain that dictates or limits what we can do. I notice you do not list any health conditions, please add these and maybe a photo of yourself so we know who we are talking to. You are more than welcome to participate if you have something positive to add to our discussions.
    By the way, I work a full time 48 hour a week job, I help take care of my parents yard as well as my yard every week during mowing season, I don't drag my friends in on my responsibilities and I don't whine nor do I feel sorry for myself.

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl March 14, 2011 at 10:25 am   

I don't know how you find the time to contribute so much to this community with all of your other obligations but I want you to know that you have my greatest respect and appreciation for everything that you do. Blue Skies for you!

• Continued on Next Page Arrow-right
Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar