just diagnosised with arthritis in my feet

By birch21 Latest Activity February 7, 2011 at 7:15 pm Views 3,629 Replies 19 Likes 5

birch21

Hello, everyone here at AC, I am new to this site and have just found out that I am suffering from arthritis in my feet. Back in July my left foot began hurting really bad and thought that I might have a stress fracture but nothing ever showed up on x-rays. Finally I went to a bone and joint Dr. and after being in a walking cast for a month and still in pain he told me to go back to my Dr. who had operated on both of my Achilles tendons. When I saw my surgeon on Jan 24, he ordered a bone scan and on Feb 1 I got the diagnosis of the arthritis. My doc called me just yesterday and we got a chance to talk one on one and to discuss some things associated with my arthritis. He told me that mine is brought on by overuse and from all the surgeries and injuries that I have had. He told me that I will have to be very careful and not to drop anything on foot especially the left foot which is the one that I first thought had the stress fracture. Needless to say that in Dec. I dropped a 2lb weight on my foot and that didn't help me any at all. I am now getting my pain and the swellin under some control with the use of my Tens unit and the electric blanket. I told my Dr. that I am doing this and he was very pleased. He told me to work on strength and flexibility and to just be careful to avoid injury. There was no mention of medication which for me is a good thing as I don't need any more trouble than I already have with my stomach. Oh my look at me going on and on and being new here. I hope all will forgive for such a long message.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (19 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Andresbity
    Andresbity March 8, 2011 at 11:44 pm   

I also have OA in my feet, knees and back so far. When I first went they thought it was a pinched nerve.

• Gemm
    Gemm February 24, 2011 at 12:48 pm   

I'm new here - just today. OUCH - I too have arthritis in my feet - actually in every joint of my body — hands, entire spine, elbows, knees, hips etc (you get the picture). For me the Tens just intensified the pain as I also have neuropathy (sp?) and the Tens just aggravated that too much. I have friends and relatives tho that love theirs. I just do what I can each day to get thru and don't worry a lot about tomorrow.

As for rambling on these boards - I think that's part of why they are here so we have somewhere we can ramble on at with people who understand as too many that are around us where we live don't. JMHO :)

Hugs
    Gemm

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm   

Me too, and lots more places. It needs to be evicted!!!

• birch21
    birch21 March 6, 2011 at 9:56 pm   

Yep sure does, but the is how do we evict it. I also have arthritis is many other places so most of the time when something is flared up I do a little moaning and groaning until releif comes.

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm   

The bad thing is we can't evict it, I am one big ache- allegic to most meds, all types, I have osteoarthritis in my neck, back, spine, both kneees, 1 foot for sure, and it feels like the right foot has it, too. I have carpal tunnel in both hands, and tendonitis in my right hand. I have to go for a nerve conduction test tomorrow in my left hand, I have fibrmyaglia, so I ache, then my feet stay swollen, I forgot what being pain free is.

• birch21
    birch21 March 7, 2011 at 6:37 pm   

I understand the aching and not knowing what it is like to be pain free anymore. My Sis-n-law suffers from Fibromyalgia as well and she has been so bad that she has literally been in the bed other than trying to make it at work. Of course walking on a concrete floor doesn't help either and she and I both work in the school system and like you my feet are often swollen. I can say that I understand but no one fully knows what it is like unless they try to walk a mile in our shoes that is if we can even stand to wear shoes. I have had the nerve testing done and I hope that all goes well for you tomorrow. Take care my dear friend and just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I don't have carpal tunnel syndrome which is a surprise since I use the computer all the time but I do have a nerve that causes the little finger and part of my right hand to feel numb so right now I am letting my chiropractor work on it and speaking of the chiro doc I need to set me up and appointment for this coming Friday. Again take care and just know that i will be thinking about you tomorrow and saying a prayer that everything will turn out okay.

• birch21
    birch21 February 24, 2011 at 8:06 pm   

I think so to about rambling as sometimes rambling is a way to release some of held in emotions. I understand about doing what I can each day as I told my boss yesterday I keep plugging along even when I am hurting really bad. You are right also about people living around us who don't understand. Praying for you to have better days and days of feeling lots better. Like you I have arthritis in other areas myself. Hugs to you and thanks for your post. Take care and have a good evening.

• oaktreehouse4
    oaktreehouse4 February 17, 2011 at 4:42 am   

I think foot arthritis is the worse. How are you walking? Does putting your feet up help? How about one of those foot bath units? I bet you all ready have one. lol I'll be praying for you. All the best. Joalice

• birch21
    birch21 February 17, 2011 at 8:01 pm   

Yes I have the foot bath. When I have a flare up it is really hard to walk and I am a person who loves to go for walks in the woods. Sometimes putting my feet up help. I guess the worse place for me is at work. I am walking on a concrete floor every day and that really tires my feet out, so I am thrilled when I can just sit at my desk and watch what the children are doing on their computers with my lanschool program. I search for shoes with really good support in them and then I still at times remove the insole and put my custom made orthotics in the shoes if the original is not doing the job it should. No more high heels, but then I quit wearing those way back in 05 when I had the first surgery on my achilles tendon. Thanks for the prayers I really need them as I may have to have a cyst removed from the top of my foot if it continues to be a bother. Hope you have a wonderful remainder of the week. Warm thoughts and wishes to you. Lydia

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl February 15, 2011 at 3:51 pm   

Hi, this is a great introduction. Wow you have had a tough time with you feet. It is good to hear that you are getting some relief. I enjoy this community. Many people here have insights that they are willing to share to help each other. I hope you find that to be true for yourself as well. Welcome and Blessings Drew

• birch21
    birch21 February 15, 2011 at 9:36 pm   

Hi, and thanks for the warm welcome. I am sure that I will find answers here and am always open to looking for them. Thanks again for the warm welcome and I love your name.

• Paul FL
    Paul FL February 15, 2011 at 11:17 pm   

Try a Running Zone, it may take an hour or more to fit your feet to the correct type of shoe and then they may need to order it in your correct size but oh the comfort.

• birch21
    birch21 February 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm   

Thanks for the info. I will give it a try. If we have that brand around here I surely will give them a try. Thanks again. Have a good evening.

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA February 14, 2011 at 4:05 pm   

Hi!

Welcome to Arthritis Connect, your new circle of supportive friends! Glad you have you on board.

I'm sorry to hear that you have received a diagnosis. Sounds like you have been dealing with a lot of pain. But it also sounds like you have an involved, attentive doctor, and that the two of you have formed a team to help you to stay on top of your condition. So there's some positive news here as well.

So congratulations on being empowered!

It's really imporrtant to stay connnected with a good source of support during this time, and you have certainly come to the right place for that. So glad you took the time to tell your story.

Thanks for checking in. And stay in touch!

Gary

• Paul FL
    Paul FL February 15, 2011 at 11:22 am   

Welcome Birch21, This site has been one of the best sources of information and comfort to me, pray you find all that you want/need.

• birch21
    birch21 February 15, 2011 at 9:34 pm   

Thanks I appreciate the welcome and thanks for the support from a community who know what others are going thorugh.

• Paul FL
    Paul FL February 16, 2011 at 6:37 pm   

Some of my past posts are not great reading but honesty is the way of the board, so do not feel shy about the way you feel or what is happening in your life related to your health issues posted on this board.

• Paul FL
    Paul FL March 8, 2011 at 12:11 am   

Also, try a pair of really good jell sneakers, I have Asics but well worth the $100.00 as I am on my feet most of the time at work or driving and that sometimes bothers my feet.

• birch21
    birch21 March 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm   

Thanks, I will keep those in mind as I can always use good shoes especially on concrete floors.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar