Osteoarthritis of the Left Hip

By basialicious Latest Activity January 19, 2011 at 11:33 am Views 642 Replies 1 Likes 2

basialicious

I had a hip replacement 3 years ago, my right hip. Now my left hip is going south. I had two cortisone shots and it helped a few days and that's it. The groin pain is bad. I can barely walk some days. I need a cane to not limp. I hate that stupid cane. My surgeon has told me that I am going to need it replaced eventually. I am on a diet to lose about 60 pounds before going thru another surgery. I don't know if I'm going to make it or not though. It's getting pretty painful. Has anyone waited to have surgery after they lost some weight? I am about 80 pounds overweight. When I had my right hip replaced, I was about 50 pounds overweight.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (1 reply)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • SGJJR50
    SGJJR50 February 21, 2011 at 9:14 pm   

I can't relate to the replacement part, but definitely to the pain. Funny thing is that my OA didn't kick in until AFTER I'd lost weight - I was about 150 lbs. over. Now that I only have 50 left to lose, it seems I will never get there because the pain in my left hip gets so intense! Now my lower back and right hip are threatening to join in - I don't think that waiting for surgery will be an option for me, unless I want to deal with agony on a daily basis. One piece of advice I am going to take to heart is to KEEP MOVING - I've started trying to get to the pool to walk around and stretch. I've only done it a couple of times, but now I mean to start doing it every day…it's hard to get there and even harder to do at first, but I do notice I feel much better when I have finished. It will make weight loss really slow going, too, but at this point, I don't know if you feel the same, but I know for me, remaining inactive is no longer an option.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar