What Christmas Gift would you give a fellow arthritis suffer?

By LanaPA Latest Activity December 11, 2010 at 8:56 am Views 2,638 Replies 24 Likes 13

Lana

I love Christmas and what I love most about it is the gift giving. While it is nice to receive gifts, it is also nice to give them. Gifts can be fun, necessary and even practical. Assistive devices can be great gifts for arthritis sufferers.

Would you like to receive jewelry or would you like a iRobot Roomba vacuum to vacuum your floors so that your joints can take a rest? Personally, I would take the vacuum.

From you opinion, as an arthritis suffer, what types of gifts would other arthritis patients really appreciate and benefit from? What would you like?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (24 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Ohio Duck
    Ohio Duck November 14 at 10:24 am   

I have asked for a long sweater/jacket to help keep me warm at office. Also I have asked for a book pyramid. I get tired of holding ereader up while laying down. This sits on stomach or wherever and I can prop my ereader in it. So I guess something really warm or electric throw blanket would be great gifts to give.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog December 8, 2012 at 7:08 pm   

leg warmers, arm warmers, gloves, tights, heating pad, ice pack, neck pillow, hoodies in every color, hats of all kinds, leather coat and jacket, puffy jacket in a bright color and a black one too, boots that come up to my knee, warm slippers,and socks, long bathrobes with hoods, warm PJ's and nightgowns and sexy underware. These are a few of my favorite things. The whole Victoria's Secret Catalog! They gave 5 huge generators to the 69th Armory to keep our service men warm and bottled water and hot food, during SuperStorm Sandy. Since they could not do their Winter's Show, they donated all the supplies to the 69th Avenue and Lexington Armory in New York.

• gratitudegrandma
    gratitudegrandma December 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm   

It's time to replace these sweat pants. Heavy socks and mittens are nice too. My favorite laundry softener is that simple pleasures lavender
    , :)

• MissChelle17
    MissChelle17 June 30, 2012 at 9:09 am   

Automatic can opener

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess September 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm   

If I could afford it, I'ld give Roomba to everyone!

• MWmelbourne
    MWmelbourne September 14, 2011 at 11:22 am   

well last year I gave a few of the automatic bottle openers (one hand operable) for wine bottles .. that was a very popular gift.

I gave an automatic toothpaste dispenser to a friend that has the use of only one hand. When I had my hand in a cast for weeks I learned the hassle of sinple daily tasks… has anyone tried to open a tube/ put the paste on the brush/ and close the tube with one hand??? all I can say is that it's good thing my dogs like toothpaste because a lot ended up on the floor !!!

Automatic toothbrushes are not "sexy" but there comes a time when functionality is good. (they also keep the dentist happy and dental work $$$ down!) I imagine more people have them now that you can buy them in the grocery store.. maybe stocking stuffers? Anything that saves the hands is a plus in my book!

- Drew Girl … there are extensions and clips to help putting jewelry on & off that are a great help if you are doing it yourself… but my preferred method is asking my husband what he would like me to wear.. knowing he is putting it on & taking it off!

- Paul FL - GREAT IDEA! .. only how to get the gift before the holidays to clean before company comes visiting ?? humm? Well there is always the take the tree down & put the holiday stuff up after … that's good too! I never turn down help anymore!

• ZOWLUCY
    ZOWLUCY August 21, 2011 at 2:50 pm   

Heated pads for microwave this is my favorite thing to get and give I love the bootie that you heat up the bags in micro wave put back in the soles from the outside put them on and get snuggly ohyeah! House robes with the zippers in them with the pockets that are in the front so you can put those microwave heat pads for the hands in the pocket Hey I live in Milwaukee and it gets down right cold here in winter with wind chills of -35-40degrees
    I like jewelry but I look at the clasps before buyin I give slippers or footwear for the house I look for comfort and easy on easy off
    I like the aromatherapy gift cards I even like to look for writing pens and pencils that dont hurt the hands

• redorangedog
    redorangedog December 8, 2012 at 7:13 pm   

HI, There is jewerly that have a magnetic clasp. easy peasy!
    Cheers,
    Red

• TrishPH
    TrishPH September 24, 2011 at 9:56 am   

I could never live that far north. I hurt enough in the winter living in Maryland. I have a hot tub which I go get in during the cold months. It is wonderful and warms my bones up and feel so good. Takes all the pain away for about a day. I cannot live without it in the winter. I also do stretches in it to loosen up my muscles. If you can get one do it. It is well worth it.

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl August 21, 2011 at 2:52 pm   

Reading this makes me appreciate the fact that I live in the south. My heart goes out to you during the winter. Love Drew

• redorangedog
    redorangedog December 8, 2012 at 7:24 pm   

Hi Drew, I was born and raised in Chicago. Retired to 'No Snow' San Antonio. I will never go back to those icy, cold winters again. I escape the summer's heat on Padre Island where it is cooler and breezy on the gulf. In Texas the beaches are open all the time, our summer house is very near the water, behind our backyard.
    Cheers,
    Red

• ZOWLUCY
    ZOWLUCY August 21, 2011 at 3:01 pm   

thank you hoping to move after the hubby gets retired thats in Dec

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl August 21, 2011 at 2:29 pm   

I guess I am the exception to the rule, or perhaps the rebel in the pack. I would definately go for the jewelry! lol. Love you all! Blue Skies

Love Drew

• Lana
    LanaPA December 16, 2010 at 10:01 am   

Great ideas everyone! Heck, I will take all of these if offered!!!!!!!!

• Lee Monette
    Lee Monette December 16, 2010 at 9:54 am   

I would give a certificate for a therapeutic massage! Heated pads for microwave. Parafin wax pot. Maybe a refloxolgy certificate. All of these things hwelp ease the pain and tenderness.

• Paul FL
    Paul FL December 13, 2010 at 1:13 pm   

A maid service, even if it is a one time deal. To have the house clean from top to bottom all in one day with no pain associated with the work.

• ace2god
    ace2god December 13, 2010 at 12:14 am   

I would love a back massager with heat that I could use as I drive and work. Also, I'd love an ottoman to prop my feet on as I am putting my little ones to bed…to take the pressure off my spine and its many problems (got one tonight actually). I would suggest some Burt's Bees Hand Salve for anyone with dry, cracking skin. I would love a body pillow…and/or a wedge to prop my legs on when I go to bed and can't sleep on my sides because of the pain. Ben Gay ointment has been more helpful to me than the Voltaren gel. Other suggestions: hot tea, epsom salt, massages, spa treatment, you know something to make me feel like a model…maybe even photos at a nice place that can help me feel as young as I really am; a gym membership to a place with a pool..ooo and a sauna!; neck pillows; seating cushions…hmmm…maybe that's enough for now? :0)

• Emma Gee
    Emma Gee December 14, 2010 at 10:49 am   

Bengay is really a lifesaver.

I love the sauna idea! Count me in!

• Lana
    LanaPA December 13, 2010 at 8:38 am   

You have the right idea and those are some really great ideas. I would love one of those iRobot Roomba vacuums. I could just put my feet up and never have to vacuum again. Considering I have a toddler and a ten year old (both boys), this would really help me. I already have a foot massager and one of those car seat massagers.

• Peg60
    Peg60 July 20, 2011 at 10:40 am   

I would love just one week of painfree days, maybe that's being to greedy, alright four days.

• Drew Girl
    Drew Girl August 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm   

There is no greed in this wish. I wish the exact same thing for us all. Blue Skies Beautiful!

• 100 Acre Woods
    100 Acre Woods August 21, 2011 at 9:38 pm   

I have arthritis in my hands so I like (to have as well as to give to others with the same problem),
    Larger handled kitchen items such as a can opener

• tyedie 1
    tyedie 1 December 8, 2012 at 12:15 pm   
    Edited December 8, 2012 at 12:17 pm by tyedie 1

I would like warm boot socks cause my feet are always cold in the winter.Now that I am in a cold wet place trying to stay warm is a challenge.Last year my daughter gave me a microwave neck wrap which I use in areas the need some heat like my neck, hands, and on top of my feet.

• 100 Acre Woods
    100 Acre Woods December 8, 2012 at 7:41 pm   

Herbal Tea for a nice hot drink, their favorite ointment to help their joints and, if they like to read, a book by their favorite author.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar