How do I know what type of arthritis I have?

By foot pain from heel spur Latest Activity November 9, 2017 at 6:28 pm Views 4,788 Replies 3

foot pain from heel spur

I am new to this so I am not sure where to begin. I have foot problems, I have had pain in my hip and other joints and in my back. Most recently I was in horrible pain (left ankle) after working (I am a server at a steakhouse) I stepped down and it felt like something broke or gave way in my left ankle, after this it was almost impossible to put weight on that foot. I went to urgent care the next day and after being ex-rayed the PA said I had a huge heel spur and that was causing my tendons to cause me pain and that I had plantar fasciitis. She prescribed me with mobic and a diclofenac gel and suggested I purchase insoles that were specifically for plantar fasciitis, she also gave me some stretches to do. So I sucked it up and continued to walk in pain, I bought the inserts for my shoes and did all the stretches and used the gel and took the Mobic daily. I got some relief, then a week later the radiologist saw my x-ray and called me to say I had a medial malleolus fracture. So I got fitted with a boot and an ankle brace to graduate to as I healed. Well 6 weeks later I am supposedly "healed" but still in pain. I wear the ankle brace to work and continue to use the diclofenac and do the stretches every day. I am not sure what else to do but I just stay off my feet as much as possible. I just don't think I have plantar fasciitis but in fact the ankle pain is from walking in a way, because of the spur, that is messing up my ankle (subconsciously). I have tried to get an appointment with a podiatrist but my dr. is taking her time with my referral. I am just tired of being in pain. Does anyone have a similar experience?

  • Report Report as inappropriate
  • Share
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (3 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • redorangedog
    redorangedog December 28, 2017 at 9:13 pm   

    Your foot has thick, fibrous band of tissue (''fascia'') reaching from your heel to your toes. These tissues support the muscles and arch of the foot. When they’re overly stretched, tiny tears can occur in their surface. This can cause pain and inflammation.

    Doctors once thought this type of pain was caused by bony growths called heel spurs. Now they believe that heel spurs are the result — not the cause — of pain from plantar fasciitis.


    What Causes It?

    A number of things can contribute to plantar fasciitis. While men can get plantar fasciitis, it’s more common in women. You're also more likely to suffer from this condition as you age or if you’re overweight or on your feet for several hours a day.

    Your risk also increases if you:

    Wear worn-out shoes with thin soles
    Have flat feet or a very high arch
    Often wear high-heeled shoes
    Have tight Achilles tendons, or “heel cords”
    Have an unusual walk or foot position mayo clinic

  • acebass
    acebass December 11, 2017 at 7:32 am   

    You need to go to orthopedic surgeon - one who only treats foot to knee. I can't imagine breaking your malleolus - that's a sturdy bone!!!
    Sometimes when we have a bad break, the adjolining cartilage get busted up. I had to have the joint fused. Radical, but it worked.
    So, my friend - Do a Google search for a foot surgeon or Sports injjury Othopod, and have them look at your pix,.
    Good Luck
    Your Pal,


Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar