Complementary arthritis treatments

By Teochter Latest Activity June 28 at 11:42 am Views 1,144 Replies 4 Likes 3

Teochter

Hi all
I'm a new subscriber here, and this is my first post. I have only recently started to suffer from osteoarthritis and I'm looking forward to hearing about all the knowledge you have gained in dealing with O A. I have always been a believer in alternative and complementary treatments. Particularly and non conventional treatments.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (4 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • redorangedog
    redorangedog September 13 at 5:32 pm   

Osteoarthritis facts
    Osteoarthritis is a joint inflammation that results from cartilage degeneration.
    Osteoarthritis can be caused by aging, heredity, and injury from trauma or disease.
    The most common symptom of osteoarthritis is pain in the affected joint(s) after repetitive use. Other osteoarthritis symptoms and signs include
    swollen joints,
    joint stiffness,
    joint creaking, and
    loss of range of motion.
    There is no blood test for the diagnosis of osteoarthritis.
    The goal of treatment in osteoarthritis is to reduce joint pain and inflammation while improving and maintaining joint function.

What is osteoarthritis?
    Readers Comments 10 Share Your Story
    Osteoarthritis is a form of arthritis that features the breakdown and eventual loss of the cartilage of one or more joints. Cartilage is a protein substance that serves as a "cushion" between the bones of the joints. Among the over 100 different types of arthritis conditions, osteoarthritis is the most common joint disease. Osteoarthritis occurs more frequently as we age. Before age 45, osteoarthritis occurs more frequently in males. After 55 years of age, it occurs more frequently in females. In the United States, all races appear equally affected. A higher incidence of osteoarthritis exists in the Japanese population, while South-African blacks, East Indians, and Southern Chinese have lower rates. Osteoarthritis is abbreviated as OA or referred to as degenerative arthritis or degenerative joint disease (DJD).

Osteoarthritis commonly affects the hands, feet, spine, and large weight-bearing joints, such as the hips and knees. Osteoarthritis usually has no known cause and is referred to as primary osteoarthritis. When the cause of the osteoarthritis is known, the condition is referred to as secondary osteoarthritis.

What is the difference between osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis?
    Osteoarthritis is a chronic joint disorder of cartilage. It is not a systemic disease. It is not an autoimmune disease. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease, therefore, it features a misdirected immune system that attacks body tissues (particularly the joint lining tissue called synovium). Rheumatoid arthritis is also a systemic disease. Therefore, rheumatoid arthritis can attack tissues throughout the body beyond affected joints, including the lungs, eyes, and skin.
    Healthnet.com

• redorangedog
    redorangedog July 15 at 5:19 pm   

Turmeric, ginger, garlic, berries and fish oils all reduce inflammation.

• Crazy Jane
    Crazy Jane July 21 at 2:00 pm   
    Edited July 24 at 1:18 pm by Crazy Jane

I've been using CBD oil. It is miraculous! I have informed my family doctor and I did inform the neurosurgeon who removed the aneurysm from my brain. I'm up front with all herbal supplements.

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA July 8 at 10:55 pm   

Hi Teochter, it's great to meet you. So glad you found your way to us. And sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I am sorry to hear about your OA diagnosis. I hope you are taking good care of yourself, and working closely with your doctor to get your treatment regimen in place. I am a therapist, so I also hope you are getting lots of emotional support. You might check out our "Living with Arthritis" section to get some useful information. I hope you will stay in touch with us!

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar