Has anyone tied Inodcin (Indomethacin)?

By James007Bond Latest Activity April 11 at 8:46 pm Views 2,176 Replies 13 Likes 2

James007Bond

Has anyone here tried Indomethacin for arthritis? If so, How well did it work for you? Thanks, and have a great day! :)

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (13 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • redorangedog
    redorangedog July 26 at 2:16 pm   

Hi James, new drug with Indocin and advil. What Is Arthritis?

JUST DIAGNOSED?
    Take Control
    Get the essential resources you need to manage your health in the FREE Better Living Toolkit
    Read More >>
    Find Support
    Connect with others who understand what you are going through in our online community
    Read More >>
    News You Can Use
    Sign up for the Arthritis Today e-newsletter for information on ways to live better with arthritis
    Read More >>
    Arthritis is very common but is not well understood. Actually, “arthritis” is not a single disease; it is an informal way of referring to joint pain or joint disease. There are more than 100 different types of arthritis and related conditions. People of all ages, sexes and races can and do have arthritis, and it is the leading cause of disability in America. More than 50 million adults and 300,000 children have some type of arthritis. It is most common among women and occurs more frequently as people get older.

Common arthritis joint symptoms include swelling, pain, stiffness and decreased range of motion. Symptoms may come and go. They can be mild, moderate or severe. They may stay about the same for years, but may progress or get worse over time. Severe arthritis can result in chronic pain, inability to do daily activities and make it difficult to walk or climb stairs. Arthritis can cause permanent joint changes. These changes may be visible, such as knobby finger joints, but often the damage can only be seen on X-ray. Some types of arthritis also affect the heart, eyes, lungs, kidneys and skin as well as the joints.

There are different types of arthritis:

Degenerative Arthritis
    Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis. When the cartilage – the slick, cushioning surface on the ends of bones – wears away, bone rubs against bone, causing pain, swelling and stiffness. Over time, joints can lose strength and pain may become chronic. Risk factors include excess weight, family history, age and previous injury (an anterior cruciate ligament, or ACL, tear, for example).

When the joint symptoms of osteoarthritis are mild or moderate, they can be managed by:

balancing activity with rest

using hot and cold therapies

regular physical activity

maintaining a healthy weight

strengthening the muscles around the joint for added support

using assistive devices

taking over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers or anti-inflammatory medicines

avoiding excessive repetitive movements

If joint symptoms are severe, causing limited mobility and affecting quality of life, some of the above management strategies may be helpful, but joint replacement may be necessary.

Osteoarthritis can prevented by staying active, maintaining a healthy weight, and avoiding injury and repetitive movements.

Inflammatory Arthritis
    A healthy immune system is protective. It generates internal inflammation to get rid of infection and prevent disease. But the immune system can go awry, mistakenly attacking the joints with uncontrolled inflammation, potentially causing joint erosion and may damage internal organs, eyes and other parts of the body. Rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis are examples of inflammatory arthritis. Researchers believe that a combination of genetics and environmental factors can trigger autoimmunity. Smoking is an example of an environmental risk factor that can trigger rheumatoid arthritis in people with certain genes.

With autoimmune and inflammatory types of arthritis, early diagnosis and aggressive treatment is critical. Slowing disease activity can help minimize or even prevent permanent joint damage. Remission is the goal and may be achieved through the use of one or more medications known as disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs). The goal of treatment is to reduce pain, improve function, and prevent further joint damage.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog April 27 at 11:26 am   

curcumin in capsule form reduces inflammation. Take 2 with a meal everyday.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog April 23 at 1:43 pm   

I used Indomethacin before you were born. Caused an abdominal bleed. For pain relief my Rheumy recommends CBC & THC. A group of old folks come together everyday for a party at their house to eat the eatables and some smoke at the Hooka Bars in our hood.

• redorangedog
  • redorangedog
    redorangedog April 23 at 1:35 pm   

Not much help for arthritis. Exercise, modified diet, music, dance, work is stressful! Have a great life my dear James. i can take care of the baby. No worries! There is not a cure for arthritis! Maybe by 2030 there will be.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog April 23 at 1:29 pm   

Mr. 007,

James asked, indomethacin Pronunciation
    Generic Name: indomethacin (in doe METH a sin)
    Brand Name: Indocin, Indocin SR, Tivorbex

Overview
    Side Effects
    Dosage
    Interactions
    Patient Tips
    Professional
    More
    What is indomethacin?
    Indomethacin is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Indomethacin works by reducing hormones that cause inflammation and pain in the body.

Indomethacin is used to treat moderate to severe osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gouty arthritis, or ankylosing spondylitis. Indomethacin is also used to treat shoulder pain caused by bursitis or tendinitis.

Extended-release indomethacin (Indocin SR) should not be used to treat gouty arthritis.

Indomethacin may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.

What is the most important information I should know about indomethacin?
    Indomethacin can increase your risk of fatal heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term or take high doses, or if you have heart disease. Do not use this medicine just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).

Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine): How to Safely Use This Muscle Relaxant
    SLIDESHOW
    Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine): How to Safely Use This Muscle Relaxant
    Indomethacin may also cause stomach or intestinal bleeding, which can be fatal. These conditions can occur without warning while you are using indomethacin, especially in older adults.

What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking indomethacin?
    Indomethacin can increase your risk of fatal heart attack or stroke, especially if you use it long term or take high doses, or if you have heart disease. Even people without heart disease or risk factors could have a stroke or heart attack while taking this medicine.

Do not use this medicine just before or after heart bypass surgery (coronary artery bypass graft, or CABG).

Indomethacin may also cause stomach or intestinal bleeding, which can be fatal. These conditions can occur without warning while you are using indomethacin, especially in older adults.

You should not use indomethacin if you are allergic to it, or if you have ever had an asthma attack or severe allergic reaction after taking aspirin or an NSAID.

To make sure indomethacin is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:

heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, or if you smoke;
    a history of heart attack, stroke, or blood clot;
    a history of stomach ulcers or bleeding;
    asthma;
    liver or kidney disease; or
    fluid retention.
    Taking indomethacin during the last 3 months of pregnancy may harm the unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant while using indomethacin.

Indomethacin can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while using this medicine.

Indomethacin is not approved for use by anyone younger than 14 years old.

How should I take indomethacin?
    Follow all directions on your prescription label. Do not take this medicine in larger amounts or for longer than recommended. Use the lowest dose that is effective in treating your condition.

Do not crush, chew, break, or open an extended-release capsule. Swallow it whole.

If you take indomethacin for a long period of time, your doctor may want to check you on a regular basis to make sure this medicine is not causing harmful effects.

Store at room temperature away from moisture and heat. Do not allow the liquid medicine to freeze.

What happens if I miss a dose?
    Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.

What happens if I overdose?
    Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222. Overdose symptoms may include vomiting, severe headache, dizziness, confusion, numbness, tingling, or seizure (convulsions).

What should I avoid while taking indomethacin?
    Avoid drinking alcohol. It may increase your risk of stomach bleeding.

Avoid taking aspirin while you are taking indomethacin.

Ask a doctor or pharmacist before using any cold, allergy, or pain medicine. Many medicines available over the counter contain aspirin or other medicines similar to indomethacin. Taking certain products together can cause you to get too much of this type of medication. Check the label to see if a medicine contains aspirin, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, or naproxen.

Indomethacin side effects
    Get emergency medical help if you have signs of an allergic reaction: sneezing, runny or stuffy nose; wheezing or trouble breathing; hives; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Get emergency medical help if you have signs of a heart attack or stroke: chest pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder, sudden numbness or weakness on one side of the body, slurred speech, feeling short of breath.

Stop using indomethacin and call your doctor at once if you have:

changes in your vision;
    shortness of breath (even with mild exertion);
    swelling or rapid weight gain;
    the first sign of any skin rash, no matter how mild;
    signs of stomach bleeding—bloody or tarry stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
    liver problems—nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, tired feeling, flu-like symptoms, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
    kidney problems—little or no urinating, painful or difficult urination, swelling in your feet or ankles, feeling tired or short of breath;
    low red blood cells (anemia)—pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath, rapid heart rate, trouble concentrating; or
    severe skin reaction—fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads (especially in the face or upper body) and causes blistering and peeling.
    Common side effects may include:

upset stomach, nausea, vomiting;
    diarrhea, constipation;
    headache, dizziness, drowsiness;
    feeling tired or depressed; or
    ringing in your ears.
    This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

drugs,com

• redorangedog
    redorangedog April 22 at 2:23 pm   

Right, Can't use this with anti-rejection meds. Thanks for thinking of me!

• WASHED OUT
    WASHED OUT April 18 at 4:12 pm   

I am not sure this is right for you Linda. From what I read it also damages the kidneys which is certainly not something you need. I just worry about you keeping that kidney operating correctly.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog April 18 at 7:25 am   

Hi James, from Wellness Mama, There are so many simple natural remedies with a long history of use that have been largely forgotten in modern times. From the health promoting (and hair-growing) properties of castor oil to the natural remedy uses for Apple Cider Vinegar, remedies found in nature have an important place in maintaining health. One of those is Black Seed Oil.

With all the wonderful advances in medicine & hygiene, a lot of these remedies have been pushed aside. Certainly, there is a time and a place for medicine, but research is now helping us understand the mechanism of these natural remedies that previous generations have depended on for so long.

Many doctors, especially functional medicine and naturopathic doctors, are finding success in combining conventional medical treatments with natural ways to support the body. One of these age-old remedies that has gained recent popularity is Black Seed Oil or Nigella Sativa.

What is Black Seed Oil?

Black Cumin Seed Oil (also often called Black Coriander Oil or simply Black Oil) comes from the Nigella Sativa plant that is native to Asia. Recent studies on this incredibly powerful seed oil show it may be helpful in combating super bugs like MRSA or h.pylori and in cancer patients.

The plant is technically part of the buttercup family and has small, black, crescent shaped seeds. Historical accounts of Black Seed use date back as far as the times of King Tut in Ancient Egypt. Cleopatra reportedly used black cumin seed oil for beautiful hair and skin and Hippocrates was fond of using it for digestive troubles.

There are now over 600 studies showing the effects of black cumin seed oil and there is promising research on the use of black cumin seed oil for dealing with autoimmune disease (which is why I’ve been experimenting with it). Its active compounds, crystalline nigellone and thymoquinone, are the most studied, but it also contains: myristic acid, palmitic acid, stearic acid, palmitoleic acid, oleic acid, linoleic acid, arachidonic acid, proteins and vitamins B1, B2,B3, calcium, folate, iron, copper, zinc and phosphorous.

Uses & Benefits of Black Seed Oil

Studies have also shown that black seed oil can be useful for:

Asthma & Allergies

Multiple studies have found that black seed oil has anti-asthmatic effects and depending on the cause of asthma, it was sometimes more effective than conventional treatment. (1) The same properties make it beneficial for relieving allergies for many people.

Eczema and Psoriasis

Black seed oil is also used for skin problems like eczema and psoriasis. It helps sooth inflammation and improve the speed and which skin heals. (2)

Digestion

Nigella Sativa seeds are carminative, meaning they aid in digestion and may decrease gas, bloating and stomach pain. Black seed oil is often sometimes used in remedies for intestinal parasites. In preliminary studies, it was also shown to inhibit the growth of colon cancer cells with no negative side effects. (3)

Candida and Fungus

Black seed oil was also shown to be helpful in battling candida and fungal infections in the digestive system and on the skin.

Cancers

Other studies have shown that a compound in black seeds and oil, Thymoquinone, helps induce apoptosis (cell death) in leukemia cells (4) and other studies have shown this same effect in breast cancer cells (5), brain tumor cells (6), pancreatic cancer, cervical cancer, and even oral cancer cells and cavity forming bacteria (7). Black seed oil is also sometimes recommended as a natural protection against some of the danger from radiation and used in conjunction with conventional treatments.

Heart Health

Thymoquinone in Nigella Sativa seeds has also been shown to have a protective effect on the heart (8), promote healthy cholesterol levels and help normalize blood pressure (9).

MRSA and Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori)

A 2010 study found that black seed oil was effective for patients with h.pylori infections (without ulcers). Studies have also shown that Nigella Sativa was effective against MRSA. (10)

Immune Health

Nigella Sativa is unique it way of supporting the immune system. it contains antioxidants, beneficial acids and b-vitamins and supports the immune system, but acts different than herbs like elderberry or echinacea that require caution for those with autoimmune disease. Black seeds seem to balance the immune system- increasing immune function but not encouraging immune reactions against the body’s healthy tissue.

It has been used in alternative HIV protocols for years and it is often recommended on various autoimmune disease forums (with testimonials from those it has helped). I first found research on black seed oil when researching my own autoimmune thyroid disease.

Skin and Hair

It is also used topically in some cultures to naturally soften, strengthen and firm skin and help increase hair growth. Some studies even suggest that it may be a very useful remedy against scars and to prevent scar formation on wounds. (11)

Problems with Seed Oils

There can be problems with any vegetable or seed oil, including black cumin seed oil if it isn’t extracted, processed or packaged correctly. It can easily go rancid if any of these factors are not correct and it is also important that the oil is stored in a dark, glass bottle (preferably miron glass).

Black Cumin Seed Oil: What to Look For

Black cumin seed oil is the most absorbable and concentrated form, and from my research, the most effective way to consume black seeds. It is just important to make sure that it is from a quality source and preferably:

Organic
    Pure pressed without chemical extraction
    Contains no additives or diluting oils
    Protected from rancidity by high quality light and air protective glass
    This is the one I use because it is the only one I’ve found that meets all of those criteria. I even called the company and interviewed their founder to make sure that the oil met my standards. Black cumin seed oil is simply a food product that contains some concentrated compounds that may be protective of health. Just as with any food, make sure that whatever brand you use is high quality and free from harmful additives. There are some other great options, though even places like Mountain Rose Herbs, where I get the majority of my natural ingredients, don’t use the highest quality glass to protect the oil from rancidity.

How I Use Black Seed Oil

I take a teaspoon of this oil straight a couple times a day. It works great to add a teaspoon or so to an oil cleansing blend, I’ve also experimented with adding it to lotions, shampoos and hair detox, and skin products with great results and I’ll be sharing those recipes soon!

The Bottom Line of Black Cumin Seed Oil

Black cumin seed oil is an amazing food that has been used for thousands of hears for its ability to support health naturally. It isn’t a panacea or a miracle drug, just a potent natural oil. It is considered safe for culinary use (or in similar amounts-no more than a few teaspoons a day).

Use common sense. Black seed oil is a food, but a nutritionally potent one. You wouldn’t drink a gallon of coconut oil or eat five pounds of liver in one sitting (I hope), so consume black seed oil as you would any food- in moderate and healthy amounts. Anyone with a medical condition or who is pregnant/nursing should check with a doctor before using this or any substance.

• WASHED OUT
    WASHED OUT April 16 at 7:54 pm   

Hello James: I haven't tried the Black seed oil yet but I did order some which is due to arrive any day now. I ordered the gels because of the comments that I have read about the oils terrible taste. Will find out if they work as what I have read about this natural very old remedy, used for somewhere around 3,000 years . I thought it was funny that it read that it would cure just about everything except death. Black seed oil is black cumin seeds from what I gather. Black Cumin Seed Oil – An Ancient Healing Remedy. http://undergroundhealthreporter.com/black-cu...

• James007Bond
    James007Bond April 16 at 5:14 pm   

Hi friends, thanks for the replies! I am going to look into the website about the Black seed oil. God bless, and have a great weekend! :)

• WASHED OUT
    WASHED OUT April 13 at 11:10 am   

I like things that are more natural that have much less side effects. I tried several types of NSAIDs and this may have been one of them. What I found was many of them were extremely hard on my stomach and bowels for the good they done. Try looking into Black seed oil gels because they taste terrible or CBD oil. Here is an article explaining the uses of the Black seed oil. Go to part 1 for uses.
    https://www.diamondherbs.co/101-black-seed-oi...

• redorangedog
    redorangedog April 12 at 3:52 pm   

Indocin is hard on the abdomen & caused an abdominal bleed. For info on drugs www.webMd.com Not effective for my RA. Everyone reacts differently to medication. If your abdomen is sensitive Indocin is sensitive, you might not want to use Indocin. There are many drugs for arthritis.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar