Will methotrexate injectable make me infertile? I want children!

By byesk Latest Activity February 17, 2013 at 7:35 pm Views 950 Replies 4 Likes 1

byesk

Two kids in the future, to be exact. Why would doc put me on this if it can cause infertility? (I'm a female, sixteen).

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (4 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Jesse798
    Jesse798 February 25, 2013 at 5:31 am   

When i was put on methotrexate they told me specifically not to get pregnant as it may cause issue with the baby- it shouldn't stop you getting pregnant but when you get to the point of trying (i know its further into the future) then you will have to switch meds

• rena taylor
    rena taylor February 21, 2013 at 1:24 am   

My doctor told me methotrexate is The best choice but not for young women in case they decide to have a baby! Have u tried enbrel or humira before?

• byesk
    byesk February 19, 2013 at 9:49 am   

Would they take me off methotrexate and putme on a different drug duringthat time? thanks Lana

• Lana
    LanaPA February 19, 2013 at 8:21 am   
    Edited February 19, 2013 at 8:22 am by LanaPA

I have not read any research showing that methotrexate can affect as woman’s ability to get pregnant. However, methotrexate has pregnancy risks – all women have a 3 to 5 percent chance of having a baby with a birth defect if they were to get pregnant while using the drug. It has also been linked miscarriage. However, methotrexate does break down in the body over time but every person’s body is different. In most cases, it is one week since the last dose. Before you become pregnant, you should discuss your options with your doctor. You will have to quit the drug before trying to get pregnant and doctors usually recommend waiting between one and six months of stopping the drug before trying to get pregnant. Here is a link to some information about methotrexate and pregnancy. http://www.otispregnancy.org/files/methotrexa... The same applies to males. If a man is on methotrexate, he should discontinue medication if he and his spouse or significant plan on having a child.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar