Strange Advice and Myths

By Kelseymarie Latest Activity February 14, 2013 at 8:20 am Views 1,300 Replies 24 Likes 4

Kelseymarie

Do you ever have those moments when you tell someone you have arthritis and they reply with a strange solution of how to help arthritis symptoms or cure it? Or have you heard strange myths concering arthritis?
I thought it would fun to share all the odd things we have heard. Who knows, some one might know if there is any truth to the things we have heard or been told.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (24 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • liz925
    liz925 November 15 at 8:35 am   

My mother made me eat pineapple ALL the time. Swore it would cure me…FYI. It doesn't. :) but I was touch to know she was thinking and trying. She just loves me a little much. ;)

• Kelseymarie
    Kelseymarie March 6, 2013 at 6:44 pm   

I have heard honey can be a cure all for arthritis. I have noticed some companies claim their honey helps or cures arthritis. I know different bees produce diffetent types of honey. Some doctors recommend to eat a spoonful of honey from your local area daily for a period of six weeks and it will your body over allergins in your local area. A few of my friends swear by it for their allergies.
    I enjoy honey in my tea or for a splurge on warm home made biscuits, yum! If I feel under the weather honey is my go to. I have read honey can help with imflamatiion but cure arthritis I am not sure. Does anyone find honey helpful? Or know it as a cure all?

• jayabee52
    jayabee52 November 15 at 11:38 am   
    Edited November 15 at 11:46 am by jayabee52

if it were a cure or even helped with osteo my dad would have been cured as he was a bee keeper (as was I for a time) and we ate a LOT of honey back then. As a child we didnt have a sugar bowl on the table but had a honey server. We had honey instead of sugar on our cornflakes and wheaties. Sugar on our cereals was a treat reserved for vacations. I also used honey in my coffee for a time.

Honey is a very versitile product and one of the properties which is proven is it is anti-micobal. It is good to put on wounds (if a little messy) because of the antibiotic properties. Much less information is available regarding the other maladies it is suggested to cure.

It is touted to cure diabetes when mixed with cinnmon. That is completely false. Other "cures" for other maladies seem fanciful as well.

• Kelseymarie
    Kelseymarie March 6, 2013 at 6:44 pm   

I have heard honey can be a cure all for arthritis. I have noticed some companies claim their honey helps or cures arthritis. I know different bees produce diffetent types of honey. Some doctors recommend to eat a spoonful of honey from your local area daily for a period of six weeks and it will your body over allergins in your local area. A few of my friends swear by it for their allergies.
    I enjoy honey in my tea or for a splurge on warm home made biscuits, yum! If I feel under the weather honey is my go to. I have read honey can help with imflamatiion but cure arthritis I am not sure. Does anyone find honey helpful? Or know it as a cure all?

• marieanne
    marieanne March 5, 2013 at 10:23 am   

Hi Dear1, a very interesting & enlightening post, thank you. That said, I believe most are scams to enable ppl to make $ off of us. The only thing that I have
    found that helps me at all is drinking pomegranate juice. While it doesn't seem
    to lessen my pain, it makes me feel great! Personally, I would tend to rely more on foods than "other so called remedies." Hugs, marieanne

• Jesse798
    Jesse798 February 25, 2013 at 5:32 am   

Eating Nonni fruit- my dad brought me tablets of them telling me it could cure me- bless him xx

• Crazy Jane
    Crazy Jane February 23, 2013 at 8:19 pm   

My aunt used to drink club soda. She swore by the quinine in it. I've tried it myself and I'd swear it helps!

• Mangosteen
    Mangosteen February 24, 2013 at 3:37 am   

i drink tonic water which i think has quinine in it too. I love it!

• Kelseymarie
    Kelseymarie February 25, 2013 at 9:39 am   

What does it help?

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 March 5, 2013 at 3:04 pm   

My aunt used to buy the over the counter kind, that is suppose to help with leg cramps at night.

But new research shows it can cause damageQuinine should not be used to treat or prevent nighttime leg cramps. Quinine has not been shown to be effective for this purpose, and may cause serious or life-threatening side effects, including severe bleeding problems, kidney damage, irregular heartbeat, and severe allergic reactions.

Your doctor or pharmacist will give you the manufacturer's patient information sheet (Medication Guide) when you begin treatment with quinine and each time you refill your prescription. Read the information carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions. You can also visit the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm085729...) to obtain the Medication Guide.
    Quinine was the first effective treatment for malaria caused by Plasmodium falciparum, appearing in therapeutics in the 17th century. It remained the antimalarial drug of choice until the 1940s, when other drugs such as chloroquine that have less unpleasant side effects replaced it. Since then, many effective antimalarials have been introduced, although quinine is still used to treat the disease in certain critical circumstances, such as severe malaria, and in impoverished regions due to its low cost.
    Quinine is available with a prescription in the United States and over-the-counter, in minute quantities, in tonic water. Quinine is also used to treat lupus and arthritis. Quinine was also frequently prescribed in the US as an off-label treatment for nocturnal leg cramps, but this has become less prevalent due to a Food and Drug Administration statement warning against the practice.

Quinine is very sensitive to ultraviolet (UV) light and will fluoresce in direct sunlight due to its highly conjugated
    I don't think there's as much in the tonic water, as there used to be. The FDA changes rules on things. I just thought I would toss this in here.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 17, 2013 at 6:30 pm   

snopes.com is a great site for urban legends and scams
    Cheers,
    Red

• Lin Bigknife
    Lin Bigknife February 15, 2013 at 8:51 am   

I have been told to eat 12 raisins soaked in gin every day and I will be cured! (I wish, too!!) Oh, well - let's laugh! Bless you all, Lin

• Mangosteen
    Mangosteen April 28, 2013 at 6:47 pm   

Thought it was an apple a day keeps the doctor away

• Mangosteen
    Mangosteen February 24, 2013 at 3:40 am   

gin depresses me! however i am on no alcohol with meds

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 17, 2013 at 6:36 pm   

12 raisins soaked in gin would certainly make me happy.
    At least I would forget about being sick!
    Blessings to you,
    Laughter is great medicine
    Red

• lillylady
    lillylady February 15, 2013 at 8:21 pm   

I have a friend in TN who swears by this and she had less swelling and pain in her joints. My mom also tried for a few months, and did say her arthritis was better.
    Guess just do some research! If we are on certain meds, we should avoid alcohol so check with your doctor too!

• Lin Bigknife
    Lin Bigknife February 18, 2013 at 8:00 am   

yeh, unfortunately I am in the absolutely NO alchol due to meds! But thanks for the affirmation - it may help others! Have a great day, bless you, Lin

• April20
    April20 February 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm   

Hi Lin Bigknife
    I thought I was the only one that was told my several people the raisons and Gin thing and surprisingly it was not just my mother.
    Take Care

• PandorasPandemonium
    PandorasPandemonium February 16, 2013 at 12:59 pm   

LIN and LILY, maybe the raisin remedy really does work. Maybe it is the power of belief or faith that makes it work. ( or the gin LOL ) sorry, couldn't resist…

Everyone is different, and reacts differently both mental and physically to everything. You really just never know unless you give it a whirl. What have you got to lose? A few raisins, and you could always drink the gin. ( sorry ) my bad

• Mangosteen
    Mangosteen February 24, 2013 at 3:39 am   

i started a new drink. Pomegranite & cranberry with either water or soda water

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 17, 2013 at 6:40 pm   

Placebo effect, I'll drink to that!

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 23, 2013 at 1:47 pm   

Me too! No alcohol and no raisins either. Water is my fluid of choice.
    Cheers,
    Red

• Kelseymarie
    Kelseymarie February 16, 2013 at 10:29 am   

that is very interesting!

• Kelseymarie
    Kelseymarie February 14, 2013 at 8:23 am   

I'll start off…
    I have been told if I drink gelatin in a 8 oz glass of water twice a day for weeks I'll be cured. I wish! :)

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar