Hip Replacement or Hip Resurfacing

By helenem06 Latest Activity February 11, 2013 at 7:37 pm Views 413 Replies 4 Likes 2

helenem06

Hi guys
This is the first time I'm posting here.
I'm 46 & have been diagnosed with gross osteoarthritis in both hips. I've been told I need a double hip replacement. According to my X-ray my left is worse than my right but I have more pain in my right.
My mobility is getting worse but I try & keep myself active in fact my dr can't believe I am walking. I swim regularly & walk my dog even on a bad day. I can limp at a fast pace!!!
I am so scared of the hip replacement as I know I will be very limited after the operation & that I will have to have the other side done. I feel sometimes that I have hips now that I can't do a lot with but when I have the op I will have hips that I will be able to do things with but doctors say they won't want me doing as fear of dislocation. There are things which I can do now but again won't be able to as again fear of dislocation. It all seems a but scary!
I met a woman the other day who had hip resurfacing done as with that you can be much more mobile but my consultant informed me they don't do it in women as more successful with younger men.
I am thinking of seeking second opinion as I am active & still want to have a good quality of life back as it really does wear me down.
I would love any tips or advice as it is quite stressful for me at the moment as also have bulging discs in lower back which aggravate me as well!
Thank you for taking the time to read this
Best wishes
Helen xx

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (4 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • helenem06
    helenem06 March 6, 2013 at 4:02 pm   

Hello Rob. how lovely to hear from you as well.
    So nice to have seen 2 comments here today. Yes it is common isn't it. I suppose I wouldn't expect it so soon in my life but stuff happens eh!
    It positive to hear what you say about your foot & your finger. I suppose everyone is different. I mean my DR has told me that I shouldn't be walking as my Xray were so bad.
    I swim a lot & walk my dog every day. I know I have to keep moving as much as I can. So it does depend on each person doesn't it.
    They have told me the first 6 weeks I will be very limited in what I can do & then the next 6 weeks will be limited. There are certain they say they will never want me doing again but I know people who have played footy again or danced without any problem. So baby steps at first & see how I go.
    I sing myself & used to dance a lot so that was tough not being able to move as well as I could but I do try & focus on what I can do & not what I can't do, as that would just get me down.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to look at my comment & good luck with your bass playing
    Best wishes
    Helen xx

• helenem06
    helenem06 March 6, 2013 at 3:49 pm   

Hi Marieanne. Thank you so much for your reply, I'm so pleased to hear from you. I am currently on the waiting list & am due for surgery in September but I am going to get Dexa scan to measure my bone density as I know that if its low I wouldn't be able to have resurfacing even with a surgeon that would offer this procedure.
    I hope you are doing ok yourself as I know it must be difficult for you.
    Thank you for your kind words & will keep you updated

Best wishes & hugs
    Helen xx

• acebass
    acebass March 5, 2013 at 6:17 pm   

Hi, Helen!

Welcome to AC. You'll be surprised how many people share similar experiences.
    I had a foot joint which was bone on bone. I tried very hard to get the joint resurfaced, but found that it just wasn't done anymore.
    Instead, I had to have the joint fused. The funny thing about it was that most of the caveats I'd received were not true in my case. The docs said I'd lose motion - I didn't; actually gained motion. I can still do things a person with a fused joint shouldn't be able to do!
    I've had a finger joint replaced. Doc said it'd be a three month recovery peroid. I recovered in about 3 weeks!
    I can only speak for myself, but I'd try to get the 'brake job', rather than the complete replacement. Barring that, I'd seriously consider the replacement; evreyone's recovery is different, and it's not always possible to predict the outcome of your surgery. If you have a good surgeon, and good Physical Therapist afterwards, you'll maximize your recovery. You'll also find that being able to move without pain makes certain sacrifices liveable.

Anyway - I'm only a Bass Player, but that's my experience. I'm sure you'll make the right choice..

Best of Luck.

Your Pal,

Rob
    Ace of Baseness

• marieanne
    marieanne March 5, 2013 at 10:38 am   

Hi new friend & welcome to AC- where you'll find many new friends & ppl
    who are caring & supportive. This is a scary time for you & I understand this because my back is broken & it really affects my mobility. I do think that your having this done (when your ready to) will be much better for you in the long run. Although, it's hard to look that far ahead right now because you know
    that the healing time will be long. That said, I would for sure get a second opinion (or more) just to be sure of the diagnosis & what can be done for you.
    I wish you the very best & please do let us know how it's going with you when
    you are able to find out more. Hugs, marieanne

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar