swelling that wont go away!!! PLEASE SEND ADIVCE.

By thompson.jacinda Latest Activity July 1, 2010 at 11:43 pm Views 2,858 Replies 27 Likes 5

thompson.jacinda

i have recently been diagnosed with RA ,i have swelling in my knee and the only thing that has made it disappear is a cotizone or cortizole shot,it went away for a week or so then reappeared,then we did a prednizol pack and that helped while i was taking it,as soon as the pack was done soo the swelling reappeared.I have done the tart cherry juice,aleve,ibuprofin and nuthing wrks…If you look at my pics you will see what kind of pain i am dealing with,my ankles and feet do the same if i am up or down for too long or lord forbid i got on the wrong kinda shoes.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (27 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 September 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm   
    Edited September 6, 2011 at 8:41 pm by Lizziebell60

I just read your profile you are on Humira and methotrexate also! Have you been on Mobic? That might be something you want to discuss with your Dr. ~ I use Ice componds for my Feet and Hands when They swell just depends! I would call my Dr. if it persists!

• Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 September 6, 2011 at 8:35 pm   

What did your Rheumatologist put you on other than steroids? Sounds like you need to be on something else to get it under control. Check with your Rheumatologist and make sure they know the swelling is not subsiding with just the Steroids. Sorry you are having so much swelling!

• mistysmom06
    mistysmom06 September 6, 2011 at 7:58 pm   

I was just diagnosed with IT Band Syndrome. I just started PT today. The big "knot" on my knee is fluid. I'm doing one of my exercises right now. Hope you find relief soon.

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess September 5, 2011 at 10:51 pm   

Sigvaris makes a good over-the-counter compression sock that is knee high. They have toeless for open toe shoes that I use. Very nice and comfy. I don't know if that will help your knee. Prescription ones can go thigh high. I also eliminated salt and anything with salt. Dandelion pills are a natural diuretic, but talk to the doctor about that.

• spiderwoman93
    spiderwoman93 September 18, 2010 at 5:05 pm   

HI,
    Has your RA doctor tried a low dose Lasix to reduce the fluid buildup?
    I'd ask him about it..
    I wear Glagla shoes as I have a WHOLE closet full and now can't wear them…
    Sounds like we need a shoe-swap..ha

The shoes keep my feet 11 or 12 degrees cooler, but aren't water-proof…
    Cheapest price..is on ebay, of course…and you can try to match your outfits with all the colors…

• dixierose333
    dixierose333 September 2, 2010 at 10:46 am   

hi ther!!I just started the swelling.I couldn't wear shoesw,…and I'm a gospel singer .have to get in front of people.but anyway lasix or nothing helped till my Dr.prescribed compression hose..I use them one day.I use them in the evening and night instead of day.wwhen I got up,which is very hard to do and harder to put them on!!,I took my hose off and man my feet were hardly swollen at all!!!I said

• thompson.jacinda
    thompson.jacinda September 2, 2010 at 4:30 pm   

before i got my meds i was wearing those diabetic socks and still do they are what helps mine from swelling so much matter of fact i still wearing em lol. really missing my flip flops and heels tho lol

• Tamic332
    Tamic332 September 1, 2010 at 12:02 am   

Jacinda…if you have recently been diagnosed you will soon find out you're always gonna have swelling somewhere!! lol I was diagnosed 19 yrs ago and have forgotten what normal used to look like with some of my joints. In the beginning its going to be alot of trial and error when it comes to getting you some relief but you can't expect the swelling and pain to ever be gone…you will always have some…this is the new normal…if you haven't noticed I face mine with lots of humor. Let us know how the humira helps…I do enbrel shots and they help alot~ :)

• thompson.jacinda
    thompson.jacinda September 2, 2010 at 4:27 pm   

the humira helps out alot so far so good.Thanks

• Jessamyn
    Jessamyn July 4, 2010 at 6:56 am   

It sounds like you need to be on anti-inflamatorys and a muscle relaxer. Do you see a Rheumatologist? You also need some pain medication stonger than Aleve or ibuprophen.

• Lana
    LanaPA July 2, 2010 at 1:06 pm   
    Edited July 2, 2010 at 1:06 pm by LanaPA

I am sorry about your recent diagnosis and your struggles thus far. First, I am going to ask if you are seeing a rheumatologist. If your insurance does not cover rheumatology, your family doctor can be a good resource if they are educated on rheumatoid arthritis and the field of rheumatology. You can get a referral through your insurance company or family doctor or even check the American College of Rheumatology’s website. http://www.rheumatology.org/directory/geo.asp

Pfizer, the maker of Enbrel has a link as well. http://www.enbrel.com/find-a-rheumatologist.jspx

If you have been diagnosed with RA, a rheumatologist or your family doctor will prescribe a disease-modifying drug at some point. All the things you are currently doing are helpful; however, RA progresses without targeted treatment. Here is a John Hopkins link that talks about treatment. http://www.hopkins-arthritis.org/arthritis-in...

As I saw your photos, I remembered how difficult my swelling was when I was first diagnosed and those first six months were probably me at my worst, emotionally and physically. Along your road to learning to live with this disease, you that RA treatment is not just about medicine; it is also about lifestyle and diet changes.

You can try some natural treatment options in the meantime. This WebMD is informative on those options. http://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/gui...

Nutritional supplements can also offer relief including fish oils and Vitamin D which offer some great health benefits as well. http://www.raysahelian.com/rheumatoidarthriti...

Fish oil supplements will help with the inflammation and this is I suggest you give those a try to reduce some of that swelling.

I am going to give you the same advice that I often give people who are newly diagnosed with RA. Educate yourself, advocate for yourself, and make changes to your lifestyle and diet starting right away. Some people are born healthy and the rest of us are not. In fact, one third of the U.S. population suffers from at least one chronic condition so you are not alone even if it feels like you are and you have 20,000-plus people here at Arthritis Connect dealing with the same struggles and concerns so you really are not alone.

And, it is okay to go through all the emotions that come along with any chronic illness but don’t let them consume you. The beginning is the worst because you do not yet know what things send your body into overdrive, but with experience, you will learn how to manage, minimize and even ward off flare-ups.

And if you sit too long and then stand up or stand up for a long period, it hurts and the shoes, well I have a collection of shoes from my size to two sizes up. I no longer wear pretty high heels but I have learned to work with my condition and not against it, and one day at a time, you will to.

And be hopeful and open-minded, and things will work out. I always say that I am glad that I got this disease in 2008 instead in 1988 or 1958. There are some wonderful treatment options out there and they make RA easier to live with. And in the next decade, more of these options will push RA cases into remission. So, I am hopeful and grateful.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions that you may have.

• thompson.jacinda
    thompson.jacinda July 2, 2010 at 2:04 pm   

Thank you very much i will read and try your advice.I have been to the rheumatologist and he has started me on the methotrxate and i get my first dose of humira the seventh of july,so i will try and see

• Lana
    LanaPA July 2, 2010 at 2:11 pm   

If you have any problems with the cost approval for Humira, contact Abbott, the manfuacturer because they have a financial aid program.

• thompson.jacinda
    thompson.jacinda July 2, 2010 at 4:13 pm   

thank you

• Peggy50
    Peggy50 July 3, 2010 at 6:42 pm   

Jacinda, I had the same trouble. I had to TELL my Rheumatoligist to do an MRI, guess what? I needed both my knees replaced. You might want to look into that. In the meantime, have you tried using a cane?

• thompson.jacinda
    thompson.jacinda August 26, 2010 at 6:27 pm   

oh my goodness both knees? was to stubborn for the cane lol.my doc has me on methatrexate and humira its getting a lil better the swelling stays down so long as i dont over do it. i have been doin the small movents and exersises they absolutely wear me out tho so i still cant do alot of little things. thank you so much for advice and help

• Peggy50
    Peggy50 August 26, 2010 at 6:55 pm   

Humira and methotrexate are suppose to work well with each other. I used to do Humira and switched. I think I am going to go back to it, along with Methotrexate this time.

It does takle a little while to build up in your system, so hang in there!

• thompson.jacinda
    thompson.jacinda September 22, 2010 at 10:08 pm   

thank you

• tamette
    tamette September 1, 2010 at 1:53 am   

Yes me also.I am on the Metho. right now getting ready for one very simular to Humira.Best Wishes…

• thompson.jacinda
    thompson.jacinda September 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm   

goodluck and thanks

• thompson.jacinda
    thompson.jacinda August 26, 2010 at 6:29 pm   

got the humira approved thank you lana

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar