hip and leg pain

By emanning Latest Activity June 27, 2010 at 3:36 pm Views 7,753 Replies 7 Likes 2


I just turned 47 years old and for the past month or so, I have been having pain from my lower back and hip going all the way down my left leg into my foot. Could this be arthritis? I feel pretty good while I am exercising or walking or working but when I set down, it starts hurting and I have to move.

  • Report Report as inappropriate
  • Share
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (7 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Jill N
    Jill N November 13, 2011 at 8:34 am   

    Sure sounds like sciatica—-stabbing pain like someone stuck a loooong needle in your hip. Only thing that eases it for me is gentle stretching——often!

  • valentine lady
    valentine lady November 12, 2011 at 4:19 pm   
    Edited November 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm by valentine lady

    Emanning: I totally agree with Marieanne and everyone else, it sounds like your sciatic nerve. It could be arthritis but when I had it my Dr. had to go in an clip the nerve tnat got twisted. Somewhat like Carpel Tunnel. The pain was terrific, just like you across my back and down the outside of my right leg and into my foot. It's a simple surgery, but it is surgery. Hope you get to feeling better and please go see your Doctor. Many Blessing to you…Valentine Lady

  • marieanne
    marieanne November 12, 2011 at 2:55 pm   

    This does sound like it may be coming from you're back- the sciatic
    nerve is usually the culprit here. I have this something terrible- it's goes
    into my hip, leg, & now foot, all on one side. It could be arthritis-
    but it could be you're back, too. I would get this checked out for
    sure. Just a warning, if it continues, you might lose temporary
    feeling in you're leg also, so be careful. Hugs, marieanne

  • Arty14174
    Arty14174 September 8, 2011 at 9:46 pm   

    Hi, i too have sciatic problems, but now hip pain , so to be on safe side I am going to my orthopaedic to make sure I did chip or crack something. I always say if something is bothering you other than your little toe then it is worth getting the real medical answer before you do more damage. Patty aka arty14174

  • Shirlwain
    Shirlwain May 8, 2011 at 8:15 am   

    Hi I just read your comment and think its Sciatica especially if it goes down the back of your leg. Normally arthritis is in the joint and not all the way down the leg. If in doubt, see your Dr, as I know this can be painful.

  • Lana
    Lana June 27, 2010 at 8:32 pm   

    Could be but it sounds like you are describing Sciatica or a form of nerve/muscle pain related issue. You can have arthritis in your back but arthritis is related to joint pain and not muscle or nerve. Osteoarthritis requires rest for joints to feel better but from what you are describing, it seems to be muscle or nerve pain rather than joint pain.

    Here is a Medline link on sciatica. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/artic...

    Obviously, your doctor is the only one that can properly diagnose you and with osteoarthritis, you can really take care of yourself with diet, exercise and anti-inflammatory medications. If it is sciatica or another nerve or muscle issue that lasts for an extended period of time or worsens, you should consult your doctor.

    Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

  • zakaria wife
    zakaria wife July 16, 2010 at 11:44 am   

    I am going through with the same pain mine back and leg pain, doctor said is sciatica in both legs, i have to have a epidural shot done monday. Lana is so
    right you need to check with your doctor to find out exactly what it is.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar