Excessive growth of Scar Tissue

By Nichole81 Latest Activity June 5, 2012 at 10:56 am Views 1,442 Replies 4

Nichole81

Has anyone here with an autoimmune disease ever been told by their Doctor or surgeon that they grow scar tissue faster than normal? Or that they have excessive scar tissue? Most people grow scar tissue at the site of a wound (like from surgery) but I am growing it all through my abdomen! I had to have my appendix removed April 30th by emergency surgery and the surgeon told me the reason I was n so much pain was bc of scar tissue. It had actually wrapped around my appendix! He even gave me the pics from the surgery…it was pretty impressive. He also told me this would not be my last surgery..that it would cause me problems again. And I am pretty sure it already is!!! But I didn't know if this is something related to AI disease or just me being yet another medical oddity!!! :-)

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (4 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • SassyKatt
    SassyKatt July 31, 2012 at 10:34 am   

That is interesting bc when I had my last knee surgery, they told me I had excessive scar tissue. It was causing so much problems that I had to be referred to a physical therapist for arthoscopic surgery. Wasn't supposed to need PT at all. I wasn't diagnosed withAnklosing Spondylitis yet.

• djhangelwings
    djhangelwings July 18, 2012 at 11:52 pm   

Yes I had 3 c sections and at each of the last 2 births my doc said I had a lot of scar tissue he had to cut away and it would help my pain for a while but said I would most likely have to have a hysterectomy due to scar tissue . And I did , my uterus was fused to my bladder my spleen and my liver. I was in the hospital for 3 weeks due to bladder problems.

• TrishPH
    TrishPH June 7, 2012 at 6:28 pm   

I have had problems with healing and scars but never have been told that I had anything. Interesting! Thanks!

• Kaity1994
    Kaity1994 June 5, 2012 at 3:39 pm   

Yes! I scar so badly! I have a port in and the incision was only about an inch, yet I have scar tissue surrounding the site for about 3inches in all directions. My doc told me its pretty normal for ppl w autoimmune to scar badly. When I get the port out there is a surgery they can do. Unfortunately it can be dangerous for those of us with these problems because it can re open the wound and get easily infected.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar