RA in your jaw and throat

By Maisie76 Latest Activity April 16, 2012 at 11:04 am Views 4,358 Replies 12 Likes 2

Maisie76

Hi can you get RA in your jaw? I had real difficulty biting anything last week and opening and closing my mouth was so painful. It went away and now on the opposite side I've had awful pain on the side of my neck under my ear and on one side of my throat making it difficult to swallow, just wondering if this is RA? Thanks again xxx

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (12 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • peachnutmeg
    peachnutmeg May 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm   

I have psoriatic arthritis. And j definitely have some serious jaw pain & stiffness that comes and goes. So bad at times I can barely sleep. I even once put a icy/hot run on my jaw lol. I find ifnj have neck pain, jaw pain follows

• redorangedog
    redorangedog April 30, 2012 at 10:18 pm   

Redorangedog, Hi Maisie, Yes, I had terrible arthritis in my jaw. The meniscus, which lines the jaw joint became all chewed up and stuck inside the jaw joint and I could not close my mouth. I was at work in the ICU and had to be taken by ambulance to my hospital where emergency surgery was done. My head was the size of a watermelon after surgery and I was deaf for a few weeks. At this time, I recommend you have an x-ray or scan of your head and wear a bite guard when you sleep. You just might be grinding your teeth in your sleep. You can buy a mouth guard, like the football players wear and mold it to your own bite. It is not necessary to get the very expensive ones that a dentist will whip up for a few hundred dollars. This inexpensive mouth piece will do the trick and protect your jaw and teeth. Good luck, I know it really hurts when you have arthritis in your jaw joint. No joint is safe when you have arthritis and when it is RA it gets both sides. Holly made a good point! Do not try to bite off more than you can chew. Soft food items are the best bet, for now. Red

• redorangedog
    redorangedog May 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm   

Redorangedog, Hello Maisie, I was thinking about something you said and it bothered me all night. The throat pain can be from something other than your jaw. It might be from arthritis in your neck. I have RA in my spine and my neck was a prime site of destruction. A spur and facet destruction affected my throat. The inflammation from C1 to C5 was affecting my ability to swallow. Since I had a new spine built from C1 to C5, I have not had this problem. The doctors were always grabbing my thyroid from behind me and asking me to swallow to check my thyroid which was fine, but that maneuver led my doctor to feel my neck and felt something sticking out which allowed the RA in my neck to be found. So, touch your neck from behind and feel if there is a sore spot. You might be on to something. Good luck and happy hunting, Red

• Holly3
    Holly3 April 23, 2012 at 11:58 pm   

I have Psoriatic Arthritis and I've been told jaw pain is common for that type of arthritis. In fact, my jaw pain began years before any other arthritis symptoms and I assumed I had TMJ. Others I've talked to have experienced the same thing. Since beginning Enbrel a year ago all jaw pain and stiffness have gone away and for the first time in years I can open my mouth big enough to bite into a hamburger.

• karttie
    karttie April 19, 2012 at 2:55 am   

I have the same experience, my right side is constantly popping and is pain full, one thing that helps me is to chew gum n exercise the joints n keep it moving so it doesnt lock in place.. Hurts but i hope u feel better

• redorangedog
    redorangedog May 1, 2012 at 10:03 pm   

Resting your jaw is better than chewing. Ask your doctor, my doctor said no to gum. Red

• redorangedog
    redorangedog May 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm   

Please, resting your jaw is so much better than chewing gum. Chewing works your jaw too much. There is a sling for your jaw that helps it to rest. Ask your doctor about gum chewing to be on the safe side. A gentle stretch will relieve the pain but try not to pop it, resting the jaw, soft foods, do not open wide and an ice pack followed by heat can help break the pain cycle. Hope you do not hurt, Red

• marieanne
    marieanne April 17, 2012 at 10:40 am   

Hi friends, I don't mean to scare anyone but a new discovery has been
    made that may tie "jaw pain" to some people having heart attacks. This
    is fairly new & can include shoulder pain, neck pain or any, by themselves.
    Just a heads up here. Hugs, marieanne

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine April 17, 2012 at 8:48 pm   

Oh…Do I know that after my jaws started locking and I had to have both jaws worked on in a long surgery and then wired shut for 1 month (but what seemed an eternity). The jaw joints were missing cartiledge and causing me to lock open when yawning or sneezing. Its fixed now but I'd never have thart surgery again!

• redorangedog
    redorangedog May 1, 2012 at 9:45 pm   

Redorangedog, Hi morningsunshine, I had the bilateral TMJ surgery with facial grafts. That surgery was a complete flop and is no longer done. My surgery was eight hours and my head was bigger than a watermelon and I was deaf for almost a month. Lana is correct, inflammation can even affect your organs as well as your joints. Folic acid is given with MTX because, MTX is an antifolate and needs to be replaced, also being part of the vitamin B group it is an anti-inflammatory. A gene test for inflammation is being done frequently these days, it is the IL-1 gene. If positive, there are anti-inflammatory preparations available for this genetic predisposition e.g. Limbrel and a few others designed for this reason. Red

• Lana
    LanaPA April 17, 2012 at 8:20 am   

I have had jaw pain and ear pain (as a result of pain that starts in jaw) but I have not associated with RA. Even after going to the dentist and them finding nothing, I have not come to the conclusion that the two are not related. Probably because I also have fibromyalgia and associate all my odd symptoms to that. However, jaw pain is common in several types of inflammatory arthritis, including RA, OA and fibromyalgia. It is more common in children than adults but since I get ear tube dysfunction and ear infections, uncommon is not part of my vocabulary. If it affects children, it affects me – what I am saying that just because it is more common in children doesn’t mean that it is not a common symptom for you. Basically, jaw pain caused by inflammation in the jaw joints and affects you in the same way that other joints are affected by inflammation. That also means that they should respond to treatment in the same way. As far as the throat issues, are you fearing to hoarseness and a dry cough and a sore throat rather than pain in the neck? For me, this is a side effect of the methotrexate so taking folic acid helps to lessen the side effects.

• hobber
    hobber April 16, 2012 at 10:23 pm   

Unfortunately yes. I recently talked to my dentist about this same subject recently and he informed me that your jaw is a joint just like a knee or any other joint and RA can affect it in the same manner.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar