DOES YOUR FINGERS TURN BLUE?

By Shirlwain Latest Activity February 2, 2012 at 8:44 am Views 4,795 Replies 9 Likes 1

Shirlwain

I know this is a strange question, but a couple of times over the past few months, I have woke up and my fingers are blue. I'm not cold, so I dont know why this is happening.

Does anyone else get this? I was told that people with arthritis get this all the time but I have not heard of it.

Any suggestions?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (9 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Palm Princess
    Palm Princess February 7, 2012 at 1:37 am   

Take extra special care in the winter (depending on where you live of course), to keep all your digits warm… the poor circulation of Raynauds can lead to frozen digits. It's very important to avoid the cold. Redorangedog has great suggestion to keep mitts with you in all coats or at the door. Keep a spare in your bag, glove box etc, like a good boyscout, be prepared.

• robertoj
    robertoj February 3, 2012 at 10:40 pm   

No but sometimes I'll wake up with a strange feeling in my knees and find my kneecaps are grey.

• re1ndeer
    re1ndeer February 2, 2012 at 9:49 am   

Yes, and I have both arthritis and a condition that is called Raynauds Syndrome.
    It's like you lose blood flow to your fingers and hands, I rub my hands and then run them under warm water (no my hands are not cold). It's supposed to improve blood flow through your fingers.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 4, 2012 at 7:54 pm   

Redorangedog, Raynaud's comes in two different forms, Primary and Secondary. Primary Raynaud's is common and not associated with any underlying disease. It is a response to the cold and/or stress which makes the arteries in your hands, toes and nose contract and restricts the blood flow, making the area red, blue or purple for a short time and then returns to the normal color. Secondary Raynaud's is an autoimmune disorder associated with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus and other connective tissue diseases which reacts to cold temperature and stress, making the arteries in your hands, toes and nose contract and restrict the blood flow and makes the said areas turn red, blue or purple but the difference is, that this can lead to skin ulceration and permanent color change in the affected area. The Secondary form is quite painful, cold skin, spasms, skin ulcers that are difficult to heal and can be disabling. I keep gloves in the kitchen, to use when I go into the freezer for frozen items. There is a pair of gloves in each jacket and purse, so I do not forget to take a pair with me when I go outside. The Raynaud's Association has a web-site with useful information. Warm water is very helpful to warm up my cold hands.

• Shirlwain
    Shirlwain February 3, 2012 at 4:07 am   

will try this next time it happens, thanks for the tip.

• blusangel
    blusangel February 2, 2012 at 11:32 am   

I have this also mine swell and are always cold my dr called it something but I can't remeber what she said will have to ask her when I see her this month

• Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 February 2, 2012 at 9:10 am   

Yes it does happen mostly will be in the morning, does it hurt? tell your Dr. about it because he needs to know. It sounds like no circulation are your hands swollenn? Yhey are probably numb right! Yes itdoes happem with RA sorry do not get to upset it will go away be sure to exercise them ok. Hope that I have helped a little take care my friend.

• Shirlwain
    Shirlwain February 3, 2012 at 4:10 am   

Hi Lizzie, yes mine was in the morning too, my hands do get swollen and stiff at times, especially if on the computer all day long. At dr's on monday so will tell hime then. I think I may have RA as well as OA and Osteoporosis - Dr's never seem to give you a straight answer. Many thanks for respoding to this.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 7, 2012 at 3:43 am   

Redorangedog, Rheumatoid Arthritis is at it's worst in the morning. Red

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar