What do you suspect is the cause of your OA diagnosis?

By ostidigit Latest Activity January 30, 2012 at 10:55 pm Views 496 Replies 5 Likes 2

ostidigit

My rheumatologist says I have the xrays showing that I have the bones of an 80 yr old woman. Mind you, I'm only 39. He doesnt know the cause of my OA. No one in my family has it.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (5 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • marieanne
    marieanne February 5, 2012 at 10:51 pm   

Hi Dear1, the cause of my dx of OA is the hereditary factor, I am sure.
    My Mother had this same thing pretty bad. I do not have any information
    on whether or not my Grandparents suffered this or not, it would seem
    that they didn't bc of what I've been told, but who knows. Other than
    genetics, I am not sure how people get it. Hugs, marieanne

• countrygal2345
    countrygal2345 February 4, 2012 at 12:55 am   

I don't know the cause myself. They tell me I have the bones of a 90 yr. old and I am only 66. They also told me that I was to young to have lost 3 inches in my spine. I surely didn't have osteoprosis that bad. But when they tested me again they found out. I was put on fortical right away.They then told me I had degenerative bone disease truout my body. I guess it has affected my whole bone structure.

• Shirlwain
    Shirlwain January 31, 2012 at 7:25 am   

Hi I have the bones of a 90 year old woman and I'm 51yrs old and have been suffering for years. My mother is 77 and is only now complaining of aches and pains due to arthritis. No one else in my family has the condition.

However I am convinced I have had it since childbirth, as when I was born, I had club feet and had to have both legs broken and reset and for months had to have hot towels placed on my legs and had plaster on them and calipers for months to try and straighten both of my feet. When I was at school, I hated school sports as always used to complain of aching legs and knees. I was told it was growing pains. I'm not convinced it was growing pains. Since then I have had 21 operations and been told I have many more to come.

My GP has no clue either as whether this has spanned from birth as he says, years ago this was not recognised the way it is today.

• snapcrackelpop
    snapcrackelpop January 30, 2012 at 11:11 pm   

I don't know the cause either but I'm 35 and have OA also hips knees and elbows. Good luck to you!

• ostidigit
    ostidigit January 30, 2012 at 10:57 pm   

Forgot to mention, II have OA in my hands, fingers, wrists.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar