torn meniscus

By Ms. Novel Latest Activity May 25, 2010 at 1:59 am Views 1,704 Replies 6 Likes 1

Ms. Novel

my name is Debbie and I am new to this site. I was wondering if anyone has had surgery for torn meniscus. I have awful pain constantly in both my knees, and I've been told that it will only get better with surgery, to add to it I also suffer with osteoarthritis, it feels like its all over my body at times when I am so stiff. any advice on what i can do or take to help both my arthritis, and meniscus pain?.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (6 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Trump700
    Trump700 June 7, 2010 at 3:35 pm   

Hi Debbie,
    I too am new to this site. I am a 50 year old female who also had a torn meniscus in my right knee and have arthritis in both knees. I had arthroscopic knee surgery 4 weeks ago. I was weight bearing right after surgery. I advise you to ask if your insurance will cover a " CRYOCUFF ". Someone recommended this to me and this machine was a godsend. Google it. I used this machine for the first week post op including sleeping with it. In fact I came home from the procedure with this machine. It is a cooler looking box with a knee cuff and two tubes that connect to the box. It runs on electric and delivers ice/ice water to your knee for 6-8 hours at a time. After surgery I was painfree for the first two weeks and doing wonderful. I think at that point I over did it and now have some arthritis type discomfort… but definitely NOT THE PAIN of the tear. I am managing with some Aleve and occasionally have to ice the knee, but it is SO MUCH BETTER repaired!

• MariahQ
    MariahQ June 3, 2010 at 2:58 am   

Have the surgery. It's not that big a deal. I had arthroscopic knee surgery on April 23rd — five weeks ago. They put you out for the entire procedure so you don't feel a thing, and while I'm not pain-free yet I'm in physical therapy and can walk a lot better and blessed be I can sleep now. The pain used to keep me up all night. There are four tiny incisions on my left knee, each one less than half an inch long, and no stitches at all. The knee was swollen for a few weeks but has gone down now. Honestly, I'd have it done again in a heartbeat rather than put up with that burning, searing pain, limping and loss of balance from the meniscus damage. Don't be surprised, however, if they find arthritis in your knee when they go in; and arthritis can't be cured so if there is you will have to start managing it because with arthritis comes pain. But there's certainly no reason to add pain from meniscus damage on top of it.

• debbieh03
    debbieh03 May 25, 2010 at 9:16 pm   

Hi, my name is Debbie also. I had had torn meniscus in both knees..at different times…like a really bad tooth ache..and after the surgery…it ill feel sooooo much better..bUT, BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR KNEES afer the surgery.. I am 57 noe and mine wre done 5 to 10 yrs ago…and I need to have my left knee done again but I also hav a tear in my ACL from high school that I have made worse by running on the tradmill. I twisted it and then the pounding on it didn't help plus I was doing weights withmy legs…live and learn…but they wont get better by theirself…good luck and make sure u have a good surgeon…

• misty1963
    misty1963 June 27, 2012 at 10:49 am   

i have had orthroscopic surgery done 2 times to my right knee… i am now unable to work .. and dr is recommending knee replacements but wants me to wait as long as possible before having that done … knee replacements can only be done 2 times per leg.. and after that your stuck in a wc…
    unfortunately when i had my original injury and meniscus tear i was on worker's comp… after surgery .. and about 4 to 6 weeks of therapy .. workers comp. returned me to work dispite the fact i was still complaining of pain… so off i went back to work… and with returning to work all i had was increased pain… went to see my family dr because workers comp had closed my case… my family dr referred me to another orthopedic dr. and with another mri .. found another meniscus tear which resulted in the 2nd orthroscopic surgery being done . ended up taking worker's comp to court to re-open my case because the2nd orthropedic dr. said that the 2nd tear was a direct result of the original injury and being forced to return to work dispite my claims of pain .

• misty1963
    misty1963 June 27, 2012 at 10:50 am   

i do have to say though… my original torn meniscus was a very severe one…severe enough that according to my 2nd dr. not only did the original injury tear the meniscus but also activated arthritis that was forming in my knee that i had no pain to prior to injury . btw worker's comp tried saying that i had arthritis prior to injury which i actually proved them wrong in court using the my employer's own records against them… i used to work in the medical field.. and had been working at 100 to 130 hours regularly every 2 weeks for several years.. even the judge agreed with me that if i had arthritis prior to the injury there was no way i could have worked like that without having a dr's script for major pain med's which wasn't noted in my own medical record's .
    even now with having a dr's script for major pain med's… vicodene 500 mg's 1 to 2 tablets every 4 to 6 hours…naproxen 500 mg 1 tablet twice a day.. and taking 2 arthirits tylenal every 8 hours.. i still have pain.. i get routine cortisone injected in my knees every 3 to 6 months .. and now wear knee braces on both legs

• misty1963
    misty1963 June 27, 2012 at 10:54 am   

i also use a walker to ambulate around and have a lot of restrictions on me by my dr to help manage my pain… i also use either ice or heat to aid me as well in pain management depending on if the additional pain is from the injury or from the arthritis … good luck

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar