Betaduo Injectable

By Palm Princess Latest Activity January 15, 2012 at 10:52 am Views 8,025 Replies 30 Likes 3

Palm Princess

I recently learned of a drug being used in Latin Americal countries (not approved in Canada or the USA yet, that doesn't make it any more dangerous than anything else, just cheaper :S ). It's used to treat everything from allergies to RA. Anyway, one of my friends is on it. One shot every 4 to 6 weeks and she sees tremendous improvement within very little time and with very few but tolerable side effects. Calls it her miracle drug. Nothing else has ever worked and it's enabled her to drop from a size 14 to an 8!!! No pain easier to exercise = happy healthier joints and you!

I know I am going to relocate just to try it and if it gives me back my life, then it will be well worth it…

Anyone else ever consider becoming an expat for health reasons?

What are your thoughts on unapproved drugs?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (30 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • WASHED OUT
    WASHED OUT February 15 at 2:22 pm   

I tried to look this up in English, but am not sure if this is what is being discussed here. Here is a site that may be talking about it. Maybe someone can check to see, if this is it then it looks complicated to understand at least for me.
    https://google.com/patents/WO2005027900A1?cl=en

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 15 at 11:01 am   

My rheumatologist recommends using Cannabis for pain.

• ABBY19
    ABBY19 March 6, 2012 at 7:33 am   

I live in Latin America and yesterday I visit the doctor pecause an inflamation in one of the fingers of my right hand. He recomended betaduo2, just one shot a the inflamation goes down about 80% just one night. Additional, all other pains like in the neck, back are very released. I feel very good.

• caramba
    caramba February 1 at 8:19 pm   
    Edited February 1 at 8:21 pm by caramba

I also had that treatment in Dominican Republic September 2015. I don't know how I used to function. Severe/chronic pain suffering from Arthritis, fibromyalgia, I was given an injection (betaduo 2mg)My miracle drug!!!!!! at time of my visit and was walking fine after 5 hours. It was a set of injections.

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess March 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm   

Very awesome for you! If you could ask him what the long term side effects are and let us know that would be greatly appreciated. Two weeks I'll be in RD, and then after I find semi permanent home, I will be looking for a doctor. Thanx!

• Anonymous
    Anonymous March 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm   

Each person reacts different to medication. I have a meeting with him on Monday and will ask about. Regards

• Holly3
    Holly3 February 9, 2012 at 12:22 am   

I live in San Diego so I hear all the time about people going across the border for medicines and treatments not approved by the FDA. I have never heard of a positive outcome from any of these so-called miracle treatments but I have known people who have gotten themselves in dangerous medical situations because of these drugs.

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess February 10, 2012 at 12:05 am   

Absolutely, that's why I'm researching :).

• NewEnglandGuy
    NewEnglandGuy January 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm   

I did a bit of research on this,it's corticosteroid,similar to prednisone.Long term use can cause numerous very serious side effects.It's manufactured and marketed in Columbia.Sure it will probably relieve your pain short term but like prednisone it does not slow the progression of the disease and too much too long will only add to your woes.I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole…just my 2 cents.

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess January 22, 2012 at 11:53 pm   

What are the side effects that you found, please if you can, provide a link. Because of previous medical conditions I am limited to what I can take, all I can actually take is plaquenil.

• NewEnglandGuy
    NewEnglandGuy January 23, 2012 at 4:57 am   
    Edited May 19, 2015 at 12:05 pm by Alma Smith

It's Betamethasone. Like all high potency drugs there are many potential side effects and like prednisone long term use can prevent your body from producing natural steroids.You would need blood monitoring on a regular basis for safety reasons. http://www.drugs.com/cdi/betamethasone.html

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&a...

I don't know where you got your information about it not yet used in the USA.Unless it's slightly altered somehow overseas,but from what I read about it,it can be prescribed here.

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess January 25, 2012 at 12:06 am   

Yes, Betamethasone has been used for years. It's the Betaduo that I can't source out in US or Canada. This is not simple Betamethasone. From what I've learned it's a derivative. What the implications and mechanics are, that I don't know. That is what I want to know.

I found the same info from your second link, still doesn't really state the side-effects.

I read that it hadn't been approved by the FDA or the CDA. It is an injectable of the following two compounds:

Composition: BETADUO suspension is sterile aqueous injection containing in each ml, 5 mg of betamethasone dipropionate in the form of suspension and 2 mg betamethasone disodium phosphate in solution.

Separately, I have found them available, not both by injection. But as a duo injectable I have not found.

I have found next to no info on side effects. What I want to know is does it also lead to osteoporosis as prednisone does.

I have found that it doesn't cause the water retention that prednisone has.

And, this IS proceeding with caution. That's why I'm trying to find information.

• NewEnglandGuy
    NewEnglandGuy January 25, 2012 at 5:14 am   

I did read somewhere that Betamethasone dipropionate(which is marketed as Betaduo) has the same possible side effects as all corticosteroids such as prednisone, it falls into that category.If I find that link again I'll post it for you.

• NewEnglandGuy
    NewEnglandGuy January 18, 2012 at 9:04 pm   

I would proceed with caution.

• lovemy12baby
    lovemy12baby January 15, 2012 at 6:56 pm   

I have done alot of research Meds myself and have had good luck except one I had severe reactions to

• marieanne
    marieanne January 15, 2012 at 2:21 pm   

Good post Dear1, this does sound great. :) We (I believe) are all looking for
    something like this. I wonder why it takes so long to get here to us. Keep
    us posted on this, would you? Good luck to you. :) A few side effects-
    just know everyone's different, I would do some more research bf taking it,
    but, I always try to do that on anything new. You probably do, too. Hugs,
    marieanne

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 15 at 12:18 pm   

Hello Palm Princess,
    You are missed here on this site. Wishing you well. See side effects and interactions on webMD.com. Steroids have many side effects. Swelling, hunger and a Moon Face just for starters. Yes, everyone reacts differently to drugs. Turmeric helps to relieve swollen joints (Curcumin) is not expensive & available online at Amazon.com and most healthfood and grocery stores. Berries are also antioxidants. The Mediterranean diet is suggested for people who have Arthritis and Heart problem, seafood, lots of bright colored fruits & berries. Good luck finding a miracle,
    Pain lets you know that you are alive. We all have pain emotional and physical.
    Music increases your dopamine level by 10%. Dancing is good exercise. We can have a good attitude, diet and exercise. Can't pick your parents, genetic diseases, and sexual orientation are in our genes. We can't predict how we die but can choose how we live.
    Wishing you wellness,

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 15 at 12:28 pm   

Side Effects
    Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, heartburn, trouble sleeping, increased sweating, or acne may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Tell your doctor right away if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: muscle pain/cramps, irregular heartbeat, weakness, swelling hands/ankles/feet, unusual weight gain, signs of infection (such as fever, persistent sore throat), vision problems (such as blurred vision), vomit that looks like coffee grounds, black/bloody stools, severe stomach/abdominal pain, mental/mood changes (such as depression, mood swings, agitation), slow wound healing, thinning skin, bone pain, menstrual period changes, puffy face, seizures, easy bruising/bleeding.

This medication may rarely make your blood sugar level rise, which can cause or worsen diabetes. Tell your doctor right away if you develop symptoms of high blood sugar, such as increased thirst and urination. If you already have diabetes, be sure to check your blood sugars regularly. Your doctor may need to adjust your diabetes medication, exercise program, or diet.

A very serious allergic reaction to this product is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

In the US -

Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 15 at 12:29 pm   

Precautions
    Before taking prednisone, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.

Before using this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist your medical history, especially of: current/past infections (such as fungal infections, tuberculosis, herpes), heart problems (such as heart failure, recent heart attack), high blood pressure, thyroid problems, kidney disease, liver disease, stomach/intestinal problems (such as ulcer, diverticulitis), bone loss (osteoporosis), mental/mood disorders (such as psychosis, anxiety, depression), eye diseases (such as cataracts, glaucoma), diabetes, mineral imbalance (such as low level of potassium/calcium in the blood), seizures, blood clots, bleeding problems.

Using corticosteroid medications for a long time can make it more difficult for your body to respond to physical stress. Therefore, before having surgery or emergency treatment, or if you get a serious illness/injury, tell your doctor or dentist that you are using this medication or have used this medication within the past 12 months. Tell your doctor right away if you develop unusual/extreme tiredness or weight loss. If you will be using this medication for a long time, carry a warning card or medical ID bracelet that identifies your use of this medication.

Before having surgery, tell your doctor or dentist about all the products you use (including prescription drugs, nonprescription drugs, and herbal products).

This medication may mask signs of infection. It can make you more likely to get infections or may worsen any current infections. Therefore, wash your hands well to prevent the spread of infection. Avoid contact with people who have infections that may spread to others (such as chickenpox, measles, flu). Consult your doctor if you have been exposed to an infection or for more details.

This medication may contain sugar and/or alcohol. Caution is advised if you have diabetes, liver disease, or any other condition that requires you to limit/avoid these substances in your diet. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about using this product safely.

This medication may cause vaccines not to work as well. Do not have immunizations/vaccinations without the consent of your doctor. Avoid contact with people who have recently received live vaccines (such as flu vaccine inhaled through the nose).

This medicine may cause stomach bleeding. Daily use of alcohol while using this medicine may increase your risk for stomach bleeding. Limit alcoholic beverages. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

This medication may slow down a child's growth if used for a long time. Consult the doctor or pharmacist for more details. See the doctor regularly so your child's height and growth can be checked.

During pregnancy, this medication should be used only when clearly needed. It may rarely harm an unborn baby. Discuss the risks and benefits with your doctor. Infants born to mothers who have been using this medication for an extended period of time may have hormone problems. Tell your doctor right away if you notice symptoms such as persistent nausea/vomiting, severe diarrhea, or weakness in your newborn.

This medication passes into breast milk but is unlikely to harm a nursing infant. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 15 at 12:31 pm   

Interactions
    Drug interactions may change how your medications work or increase your risk for serious side effects. This document does not contain all possible drug interactions. Keep a list of all the products you use (including prescription/nonprescription drugs and herbal products) and share it with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicines without your doctor's approval.

Some products that may interact with this drug include: aldesleukin, mifepristone, drugs that can cause bleeding/bruising (including antiplatelet drugs such as clopidogrel, "blood thinners" such as dabigatran/warfarin, NSAIDs such as aspirin/celecoxib/ibuprofen).

If your doctor has directed you to take low-dose aspirin for heart attack or stroke prevention (usually at dosages of 81-325 milligrams a day), you should continue taking it unless your doctor instructs you otherwise. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more details.

This medication may interfere with certain laboratory tests (including skin tests), possibly causing false test results. Make sure laboratory personnel and all your doctors know you use this drug.

• WASHED OUT
    WASHED OUT February 15 at 10:03 pm   

What really is this stuff anyhow?

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 16 at 2:38 pm   

No magic elixir or cure for arthritis.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 16 at 2:34 pm   

Greetings, Rheumatoid Arthritis
    While there’s no cure for RA, eating certain foods can help you manage its symptoms.
    | By Karen Kennedy
    LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST
    Fitness for You
    Find activities based on your interests and fitness level with Your Exercise Solution
    Read More >>
    Easy-to-Use Products
    See our Ease of Use products proven to make life easier with arthritis
    Read More >>
    Get Involved
    Learn about opportunities to make a difference in your community
    Read More >>
    People with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) are constantly seeking to ease its symptoms with food and dietary supplements. While researchers have turned up no magic elixir to cure RA, several studies show a connection between certain foods and the inflammation that characterizes this autoimmune condition. Before embarking on a special diet or taking supplements, though, consult your doctor. Either approach can interact with traditional RA medications in unintended ways.

The best approach to food for people with RA – or anyone else – is a well-balanced diet which, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, should be centered on plant-based foods. Approximately two-thirds of your diet should come from fruits, vegetables and whole grains. The other third should include low-fat dairy products and lean sources of protein.

Foods That Help Fight Rheumatoid Arthritis
    Be sure your diet includes such cold-water fish as herring, mackerel, trout, salmon and tuna. Although there may be no magic elixir, the omega-3 fatty acids in fish oil are the most promising anti-inflammatory in food, says Ruth Frechman, registered dietitian and spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association.

Studies have shown that fish oil can relieve tender joints and ease morning stiffness. It has also allowed some people to reduce the amount of conventional medication they take for RA. Servings of fish provide about one gram of omega-3 fatty acids per 3½ ounces of fish. If you choose to try fish oil supplements, talk to your doctor about a dosage. People with RA can often take a higher level of fish oil than is recommended for the general public, but there can be side effects. Higher doses of fish oil may interact with certain drugs, including those for high blood pressure.

Increasing your intake of fiber from fruits, vegetables and whole grains may also help reduce inflammation. Studies show that adding fiber to the diet results in lower levels of C-reactive protein (CRP) in the blood; CRP is an indicator of inflammation.

Extra-virgin olive oil may also help reduce inflammation, in the same way that a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) such as ibuprofen or aspirin can – it contains a compound called oleocanthal that blocks the enzymes that cause inflammation.

However, you might not want to empty your medicine cabinet just yet. It would take 3½ tablespoons of olive oil – 400 calories worth – to equal the anti-inflammatory properties of one 200-mg ibuprofen tablet. Instead, use the oil as an alternative to other cooking oils and butter.

Supplements and Inflammation
    Research has shown that people with RA have low levels of selenium, a mineral found in whole-grain wheat products and shellfish such as oysters and crab. It contains antioxidants, which are believed to help control inflammation. It may also increase the risk of developing diabetes, so talk with your doctor before taking selenium supplements.

Vitamin D, usually associated with calcium and protection against osteoporosis, may also help lower the risk of RA in older women by helping to regulate the immune system. Good sources of vitamin D include eggs, fortified breads, cereals and low-fat milk.

Can Food Cause Inflammation?
    While some foods seem to ease inflammation, compounds in others have been found to increase it. Eating hamburgers, chicken or other meats that have been grilled or fried at high temperature can raise the amount of advanced glycation end products (AGEs) in the blood. Although no direct link between AGEs and arthritis has been identified, high levels of AGEs have been detected in people with inflammation.

Another culprit that may boost inflammation is omega-6 fatty acids, which are found in corn, sunflower, safflower and soybean oils, and many snack and fried foods. Consuming more omega-6 fatty acids than omega-3s raises your risk of joint inflammation and obesity. Keep fresh fruits and veggies on hand to help you avoid processed snacks that often contain omega-6 fatty acids.

As a result of menopause or steroid treatment, some people with RA may need more of certain vitamins and minerals. The most common deficiencies are in folic acid, vitamins C, D, B6, B12 and E, calcium, magnesium, selenium and zinc. Nutritionists agree that most nutrients should come from your food, rather than from supplements. Again, talk to your doctor before taking any supplements.

The bottom line when considering nutrition and RA is to maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet. One way to achieve this is to consider adopting a Mediterranean diet, which includes plenty of omega-3 fatty acids, fruits, vegetables and whole grains, the benefits of olive oil – even a glass of red wine if your doctor allows.

Arthritis Foundation

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 15 at 10:52 pm   

Check out the use of this drug in Colombia, Spain and Dominican Republic if you have a computer that translates. I did and did not like what it said. It is being used on mice & rats. The USA is not ready to use the in USA. If you have the have the inflammatory gene there is not a cure available.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 15 at 10:45 pm   

This is being tested on mice and rats in the USA. Not safe for humans at this time. Has many side effects same as other steroids.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog February 15 at 10:43 pm   

A steroid. Not used with diabetes. Raises blood sugar level. There is not a cure for arthritis, a genetic disease. The inflammatory gene Inflammatory Cytokines & Receptors PCR Array

NOTE: To access content of the upgraded RT² Profiler PCR Arrays (After May 25, 2012), please click here.
    Please NOTE: The RT² Profiler PCR Array System was upgraded to Version 4.0 on May 25, 2012. This system has replaced the Version 3.0 system with regards to content and assay design, with the Version 3.0 products set for discontinuation effective December 1, 2012.

Human Mouse Rat Rhesus Macaque

Human Inflammatory Cytokines & Receptors PCR Array
    The Human Inflammatory Cytokines & Receptors RT² Profiler PCR Array profiles the expression of 84 key genes mediating the inflammatory response. Acute inflammation occurs in response to cell damage due to infection or injury. During this process, cellular and plasma derived factors encourage extravasation, the recruitment of circulating immune cells into the affected tissue. These immune cells in turn up-regulate the expression of inflammatory cytokines that recruit additional immune cells to mount an immune response to any invading organisms and to further promote and eventually resolve the inflammatory response. Chronic inflammation, or expression of these cytokines and receptors at low levels over long periods of time, promotes various pathological conditions including allergies and asthma, cardiovascular system disorders (atherosclerosis), central nervous system disorders (Alzheimer’s disease), fibrosis, and rheumatoid arthritis. This array contains genes involved in mediating immune cascade reactions during inflammation. The chemokines, cytokines, and interleukins involved in the inflammatory response are represented as well as their receptors. Profiling the expression of these inflammatory cytokine and receptor genes helps determine the state of and the mechanisms behind inflammation in your experimental model system. Using real-time PCR, you can easily and reliably analyze expression of a focused panel of genes related to inflammation with this array.
    The RT² Profiler PCR Arrays are intended for molecular biology applications. This product is not intended for the diagnosis, prevention, or treatment of a disease.
    Publications Citing the Inflammatory Cytokines & Receptors PCR Array:
    96-well Plate, 384-well (4 × 96) Plate, and 100-well Disc formats are available.
    Available for cells, tissues, FFPE samples and small samples

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess January 15, 2012 at 11:32 am   

Spain likely has it and that will likely be the closest if you can't. Prominent in Spanish speaking countries, manufactured in Columbia.

• Bernio
    Bernio January 15, 2012 at 11:28 am   

Sorry just seen the heading, wonder if I can get it in uk!!

• Bernio
    Bernio January 15, 2012 at 11:27 am   

What's it called?

• Gam68
    Gam68 January 23, 2012 at 10:45 am   

Research extensively before taking.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar