Meniscus Tear

By Sly Kitty Latest Activity January 14, 2012 at 9:28 am Views 2,856 Replies 17 Likes 2

Sly Kitty

I have been diagnosed with this condition & wondered if anyone has had the surgical procedure where they go in with a scope & remove the tear. This pain in my knee has been so bad I cannot sleep and I have taken hydrocone & tramadol with no relief from the pain. I would like to learn what kind of pain meds you have taken to relieve this pain and if your condition required surgery. Also, if you actually had an injury to cause this tear as I don't remember doing anything to cause this condition. Thank you.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (17 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Tracy Jordan
    Tracy Jordan April 23 at 6:16 am   

I never would have had the surgery if I knew then what I know now.. 1 year later and I am worse off then before the surgery… Everyone should try chicken comb fillers first.. surgery does not work! It is a way for othopedic surgeons to get rich!!! http://www.synviscone.com/what-is-synvisc-one...

• Sly Kitty
    Sly Kitty April 24 at 5:30 pm   

Doesn't this require surgery to insert?

• Barb99
    Barb99 January 25, 2012 at 1:36 am   

I also had surgery for a meniscus tear and the arthoscopic surgery was fast, healed fast and I was out of pain fairly quickly. I did not kneel on that knee for years as it hurt, but otherwise it was great. 20 pllus years later I can kneel for short periods of time. GO FOR IT!! Surgery was really worth it. I was off the pain meds very quickly.

PS My tear was the result of a minor auto accident.

• Sly Kitty
    Sly Kitty January 28, 2012 at 8:43 am   

Thank you, but now my doctor said he doesn't want to do surgery because I don't have a tear, but fraying which is cuased from degeneration. The Orthopedic gave me a cortisone shot, but I didn't get any relief from the pain.

• Barb99
    Barb99 January 31, 2012 at 1:46 am   

Sorry you've had no relief. I've been receiving info on a shot for knees from Synvisc One (but I do not know how it works) — check it out with your doctor. Good Luck.

• Sly Kitty
    Sly Kitty January 31, 2012 at 9:04 am   

Thank you for the info; I got a shot in my knee, but got no relief from it either.

• squog master
    squog master January 20, 2012 at 1:48 am   

I had meniscus surgery in my right knee. Mine stemmed from the wear & tear of 20+ yrs of reffing kids sports. My meniscus was destroyed. Before the surgery I took percocet every 4 hours the pain was so bad.

I eventually needed replacement 5 yrs later. I did a local anesthesia both times cause of my sleep apnea. I watched the meniscus surgery on the monitor. It was actually pretty cool to watch. My meniscus surgery itself took about 30 mins. Of course that doesn't include the prep & recovery time. I couldn't drive for 1 week.

Later I had 3 shots of synvisc. This probably helped me make it 5 more years. After the meniscus surgery I was back to the darvocet I was taking for my OA. I wasn't diagnosed w/RA til 2 years later. That's when I started taking percocet again.

• TrishPH
    TrishPH January 19, 2012 at 10:46 pm   

Yes, I have had three knee surgeries. I have had two scopes and then a replacement. I bandaid my condition for about ten years with the first two surgeries but then had to have a knee replacement. Depending on your age the doctor does not want you to have a knee replacement until you have exhausted all other procedures. Hope you get relief and feel better soon!

• Sly Kitty
    Sly Kitty January 31, 2012 at 9:09 am   

Thank you for sharing your experience; has all that surgery & replacement given you relief?

• re1ndeer
    re1ndeer January 14, 2012 at 1:35 pm   

Yes, I've had the meniscus tear. Actually I had the surgery almost 1 year ago.
    I did not have an injury.
    The surgery was quite quick, about 3 1/2 hours. Went home with my knee bandaged up.
    I had to take it easy for a few days, but after that it was fine, but it felt a little tight (because of the stitches), went back to the doctor and had the stitches removed.
    You will need crutches for a few days, until stitches are removed.
    The majority of the pain is gone.
    Occasionally, I will have pain, but not as bad as it was. I'm on hydrocodone, only for break through pain, I take less than 6 pills a week.
    When my doctor went in to fix the tear, he also told me I had osteoarthritis of the knee.

• Sly Kitty
    Sly Kitty January 14, 2012 at 5:34 pm   

Thank you; you still take pain meds for knee pain? I too have OA not only in my knees. Was the pain gone right after surgery? How long after surgery did you find you weren't having the excruciating pain or did you ever? Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to figure how long I am going to be going through this. Your response is a big help to me. Were you able to bend your knee after the surgery? How about kneeling? I have dogs and cats to care for so I am wondering how I will manage all my chores. I don't have anyone around to help so I am stressing over this procedure. How long were you in pain before you had the procedure done & did you ever get the cortisone shot to help with the pain or did you get the surgery right away? I have been dealing with this for almost 2 months before seeing an Orthopedic doctor. Again thank you so much for sharing your experience with this.

• re1ndeer
    re1ndeer January 14, 2012 at 6:02 pm   

I take break through pain meds, when I over do things.
    Yes, pain was gone after surgery.
    I had excruciating pain before the surgery, where I could not even walk with out being in pain.

With the knee bandaged up (they gave me a machine that cooled ice packs, to place on my knee) it was a little hard to bend the knee.
    After stitches were removed, I could bend my knee without pain at all.

Kneeling right after surgery may be a little difficult, it will take a few weeks for your knee to be really able to move. But then again, everyone is different, I'm probably older then you so I was a little slower healing (I'm also, a diabetic).

I was in pain, I'd say about 6 months, before surgery. Yes, I had the cortisone shot first, which did nothing for me, that's when the doctor said surgery has to be done.

I reccommend you have the shot, it may work for you. (The shot will hurt, just to let you know, but, it disapates quickly)

• Sly Kitty
    Sly Kitty January 14, 2012 at 11:08 pm   

Thank you; like you I too have diabetes which made me think healing would take longer. I know the thought of the pain of the shot to take away the pain makes me cringe, but I will give it a try. I am not sure why the orthopedic doctor didn't recommend the shot as my primary care physican said they would give me the shot. Do you get the shot in your knee? I have multiple pain areas so why isn't there a shot to take all the pain away everywhere? Just wondering because I remember when I had pain because of kidney stones they gave me a shot that immediately took the pain away & it was amazing and often wondered why they don't just give an injection to take away pain in general. I don't imagine you would have an answer, I'm just curious. I am not as strong as you, rather a whimp when it comes to pain and I just cannot tolerate this pain for months with no meds to relieve it. I am 65 yrs old and I am curious as to your age if you want to share that, if you don't I understand. Really, I do appreciate you telling me what you have gone through because it does help me.

• re1ndeer
    re1ndeer January 15, 2012 at 7:58 am   

Yes, The orthopaedic doctor gave me the shot in the knee.
    I too, have all over osteoarthritis along with osteoporosis.
    With arthritis in my back, knees and my shoulders, at times it becomes rather painful.
    It would be great if a shot could cure everything.
    I'm not that strong, It's just that I can tolerate pain to a certain level, then I turn into a whimp. I'm younger than you (thought I was older) I'm 60.

• Sly Kitty
    Sly Kitty January 15, 2012 at 9:46 am   

When in pain we always feel older. Were you put under general anesthetic or just local? I sure would hope they put me under as 3 hours is more than I care to be aware of surgery going on. Actually over 3 hours sounds like a long time either way for the actual surgery unless you are talking about the time you were put under until the time you were out of anesthesia or the time total and then sent home. Was this done in the doctors office, surgical center or hospital? I can go on and on with questions. Somestimes ignorance is bliss, but I really do want to know everything I can expect. I so do thank you for your patience and detailed explanation of your experience. I have had degenerative discs and hips since my preteen years at least that is as far back as I can remember having early siymptoms of pain. I was very thin and lead a very active life through my mid 50's, but I must say I never realized back then I would have so much difficulty in my 60's. I never thought I would be troubled by arthritis in my hands and feet so badly. I also have bouts with gout and take daily meds for that. As you are also a diabetic when you had the cortisone shot did that affect your blood sugar? Do you take insulin or are you taking oral meds for diabetes? Sorry, my question just never end do they? Thank you.

• re1ndeer
    re1ndeer January 15, 2012 at 1:49 pm   

It was a total of 3 hours from when I went into the hospital operating room until I went home. They put you under, I believe they give you dilauded (not sure of spelling)knocked me right out.
    When I got the cortisone shot, my blood sugars were affected, you will need to discuss with your endocrinologist how he/she wants you to take your meds.
    I'm straight on insulin (type 1 ). I'm also on blood thinners, which makes a big difference. If I remember right I had to stop most meds about a week before the surgery. The day before I could take my BP meds and Insulin. Nothing after midnight. I was told that they would monitor my blood sugars while I was at the hospital.

• Sly Kitty
    Sly Kitty January 17, 2012 at 10:18 am   

Yes, this is true they do monitor your BS while you are in the hospital. I have had surgey a year ago and they were monitoring BS and gave me insulin because of not eating for over 12 yrs before. Thank you and hope you have many more pain free days.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar