Osteoarthritis in Knees and Losing Weight

By KatMom5 Latest Activity May 24, 2010 at 2:28 pm Views 2,157 Replies 14 Likes 1

KatMom5

HI- I am new to this site as of today. I have already discovered a network of us folks with this same problem! Misery loves company!
I am 56 and very over weight- I have had mensicus repair surgery to both knees and the second one was very recent. It was so painful I almost went into a depression I think.
I have however, "kicked" my own butt and got to working on diet and exercise— using the recumbent bike and doing great. Drinking lots of water…added ginger and yucca pills to help as well as the glusamine chondrotin I have been taking for years. I am feeling GREAT! Just a little pain- steps will always be hard but compared to what I was living with a couple months ago- wonderful.
I did have the synvsic shots and cortesone but not real sure they did very much for me— maybe the synvisc some. I have bone on bone on one knee and the other is OK for now.
My question to all of you out there is this- is it possible to control arthritis thru diet and exercise?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (14 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • MzMadCat
    MzMadCat June 3, 2010 at 11:53 am   

Im new today and I also have the same problems but havent had any surgery yet. I am uninsured as of the 1st!! So I have
    a problem. I need to do whatever I can do myself.

• MariahQ
    MariahQ June 3, 2010 at 2:29 am   

Just joined this site yesterday. I have Stage 3 and 4 OA in left knee, just had laparoscopic surgery to clean up meniscus issues and don't have too much pain, so I'm not as bad off as most. Had no pain at all till this year when I turned 60 so count me lucky. My focus right now is on preventing further problems so I can walk normally with minimal pain. and staving off knee replacements as long as possible. I'm not real fat, maybe 50 pounds overweight (5'2" and size 16), but am determined to lose it like never before. One thing my surgeon told me is that people with OA in their knees or hips should do anything they can to lose weight. Lap band, whatever. Weight loss takes a lot of pressure off the knees right now, so it slows down deterioration, and in the future any surgeries will go a lot easier if you're not obese. Insurance often covers lap band surgery if you have a body mass index over 40 and have other health conditions such as high blood pressure and arthritis. These are things that folks might consider discussing with their GP. I don't think anything can really help arthritis as long as we are carrying around amounts of fat as heavy as cement bags. Nothing has motivated me to get the lard off like the idea of wasting my retirement not being able to walk.

• Angela48
    Angela48 June 1, 2010 at 7:11 pm   

Wow…I just joined today, and it seems I have the same syptoms as you motormamma…guess I will try and lose some weight and maybe it will help my pain…I'm in constant pain and when I sit too long when I get up it takes about a minute to get my balance and start walking. If I'm up walking and doing things too long I have such pain in my low back and knees that I have to sit down or lose my balance. Thanks for your post, maybe this will help.

• motormamma
    motormamma June 1, 2010 at 7:57 pm   

Oh, yes, we share symptoms all right! Just be careful with the weight loss. If you try to lose the weight too quickly you can screw up your whole system. Found that out the hard way! I have IBS as well so have to be extra careful about changing anything too quickly, i.e., roughage consumed, etc. So, not knowing any other problems you might have, I suggest talking to your physician. Ask also about exercise. I bought the cheapest pedal machine I could find in those "junk" catalogs you get in the mail. I love to walk outdoors, but due to an ankle injury, that is not an option for me at the moment (and won't be for a couple months because I am facing surgery to rebuild the ankle). I found I had to inch up on the exercise cycle so as not to cause more pain. Believe me, get too zealous and your knees will let you know about it! Start really slow and make TINY steps to progress. I wish you all the luck in the world. It isn't easy! But, improvement came to me and I hope it will come to you as well.

• motormamma
    motormamma May 30, 2010 at 7:04 pm   

I'm new to the site. Just joined yesterday. I don't think it's possible to "control" arthritis through weight loss and exercise, but it can help considerably with the pain, especially in the knees. When my husband passed away last June, I was unable to eat and lost 30 lbs quickly. I realized that my knees were less painful than they had been when I weighed 287. With my md's encouragement, I decided to continue losing weight. It isn't easy and very slow, but I've lost 55 lbs now. I also invested in a cheap ($30.00) pedal machine that I can use sitting down. Very low impact and has helped to stabilize the knees by strengthening the muscles surrounding the knees. It has a tension adjustment which I am advancing very slowly, so as to not put too much stress on the knees. I must say the knees are feeling better, not good, but better.

• ladydigger
    ladydigger May 29, 2010 at 11:12 am   

i was diagnosed with this same thing over 4 years ago. i lost a lot of weight after the death of my father. i can really tell the difference in my left knee now. exercise and weight control really helps it. i have not had any treatment in over a year now. it still hurts at times, but, i deal with it and try to exercise everyday. it really made a big difference. so, yes, it is possible to control arthritis by exercising and dieting. but it really depends on how severe your arthritis is. I wish you good luck with it.

• dankent58
    dankent58 May 29, 2010 at 1:19 pm   

I'm sorry, I can't write to well, can't spell words right I'm just a mess.
    I'm alittle over weight,210, I had two strokes and heart attack. Can you help me get
    the weight off, I have arthritis in the knee bad, i'm getting shots June 4, 2010, hylagan.
    If you can help or know someone I would appreicate it. kent Driskell

• charlott
    charlott May 27, 2010 at 7:04 am   

i have a right knee that way i lost 220 pounds by having gastric bypass but knee still hurts bad

• pattidel
    pattidel May 27, 2010 at 7:02 am   

wow your story is almost identical to mine.I will do anything to avoid the pain of surgery. I have had the shots and they worked for a while. Lost my insurance so I am treating my self as I can afford. I weigh over 300 lbs and decided losing weight would help. Only lost 20 so far. It will have to be alot more before I can notice if it is helping or not.

• mother34
    mother34 May 29, 2010 at 2:22 pm   

what kind of excercise can you do i was told that exercise was out of the question cause my knees are so bad but i have the same condition as you do .and i know the only help i got from a doc was go to therapy and that was getting to expensive for me and the only thing he did was put heat and use a tens unit on my knees

• Rialyn
    Rialyn May 27, 2010 at 1:41 am   

I had bone on bone in right knee and had to have it replaced. That is a very painful procedure…need to get the left knee done but don't want to go through that pain again.

• mashy555
    mashy555 May 24, 2010 at 7:12 pm   

if you have osteoarthritis do not think so
    it will help but this type of arthritis is bone on bone

• mashy555
    mashy555 May 24, 2010 at 7:08 pm   

this started w left knee. 1 st operated then synvs shots that was 9 /07 after in 6/ 07 my right hip was replaced 3 times because it became infected the surgeons took it out and i lived w out a hip getting antibiotics
    now the hip is good but i am having severe pain in the oprated kneeim going to ask about and would give the same idea to your doctor drain the knee then use cortosone then synvs 1

• cyclone
    cyclone May 27, 2010 at 7:42 pm   

well, you have helped me know that i will do anything not to do anymore shots and not do operations. I have oa in my hands below the thumbs and now creeping into my left knee and sometimes my right ankle. good luck with your knee.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar