Steriod shots in lower back

By Toni Eich Latest Activity October 21, 2011 at 11:31 am Views 1,138 Replies 24 Likes 3

Toni Eich

Pain doctor found 2 areas of arthritis in my lower back and my tailbone is sitting at a 90 degree angle. He prescribed Lidocaine gel and I am set to get 3 steriod shots in a couple weeks. One in my tailbone area and the other two at the base of the spine. Has anyone had this procedure before?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (24 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • MWmelbourne
    MWmelbourne October 25, 2011 at 6:46 pm   

In re-reading your post.. you say "your tail bone is sitting at a 90 degree angle"? .. The only "cure" I can imagine for that is surgery.. coccyx and sacrum.. scoilosis (curvature of the spine)

spondylosis.. (again fingers having trouble spelling 2day.. we need spell ck on here ;-) a sister-in-law has that and she has been suffering her whole life.. no real "cure" available that doesnt include a knife to my knowledge though I have heard good things about laser procedures though I haven't gone that route myself yet.. Anyway, Injections can provide temporary relief - she uses lidoderm patches like I do and has a VERY GOOD seat cushion! - worth the investment for proper support if you have to sit a lot.

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes October 21, 2011 at 8:58 pm   

Over the last 12 years, I've had a total of 16 steroid shots, and only the first set of three helped. Pain management doctors like to push the injections, because it's a big money-maker for them. If I were you, I would have one (they numb the area and it's really not that bad-or if you have a great doc, they put you to sleep while they do it). If you don't get any relief from the one, I wouldn't waste your time or money to have any additional ones done. The only reason I agreed is because they tend to think your a drug seeker if you don't at least let them try, even if you have the worst MRI results in the world.

• Toni Eich
    Toni Eich October 22, 2011 at 8:56 am   

I plan on having just one to see how it works. I will have three the first round. One in the tailbone area and two above it where the pain is at. I saw a video of how it works. If this does not work then I will have weigh my options. Do you take any supplements for your arthritis? Like Osteo Biflex?

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes October 23, 2011 at 12:14 pm   

I don't have RA, just osteoarthritis, and right now my biggest problem is an overgrowth of bone around my fusion site at L4-L5-S1. It's cutting off the nerves to my left leg when I sit and my whole leg goes numb, causing frequent falls. My insurance doesn't want to pay for a bone density test until I turn 50 in March, so I'm not on Fosamax or any supplements like that. Right now it's the pain meds, muscle relaxants, and stuff for depression (in addition to my thyroid medication).

• sandypops
    sandypops October 21, 2011 at 8:46 pm   

I was told that I needed a steroid shot in the base of my spine as well and I've declined the shot…too scary. I am really chicken. I've already had 3 steroid shots and I've been told that the limit is 4 shots per year. The shots can also have adverse affects, i.e, loss of cartilage, you know the stuff that holds your bones together. Another thing, I having the worse trouble lossing weight since I've been getting those shots. I do wish you the very best outcome with your treatment. Please let us know how it works out for you. Hugs.

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes October 23, 2011 at 12:19 pm   

The reason for the weight problem, is that every shot you get has steroids in it to reduce the inflammation. Steroids cause you to gain weight, will increase your appetite, and can also cause high blood sugar levels which damage your kidneys, your eyesight, your pancreas, and a lot of other organs, including your liver if you're on long term oral doses. If the shots don't help, don't take them, no matter what your doctor wants. As I said, these are a big money-maker for them, and anyone who does them always wants to push them on the patients. The last two I had made my leg pain so much worse my doc said he'd never do another one on me.

• Toni Eich
    Toni Eich October 22, 2011 at 8:59 am   

I have heard of the adverse effect. My father had this issue in his hip and eventually had to have hip replacement. My main issue other than the arthritis is the position of my tailbone. It is pushing into my muscles and nerves which is causing alot of my pain. Iam going to try the first round of 3 shots and then see what happens,

• Joyess
    Joyess October 25, 2011 at 11:00 pm   

I broke my upper back in my 20's, then they discovered spondylosis and did a spinal fusion in my lower back, L1, 2,and 3. Now I have degenerative discs and arthritis. Because of all the wire in my lower back from the fusion, they can't tell how many discs are involved. But I've had steroid shots and had pretty good luck with them, so they are worth a try. I agree with the others, if it doesn't work, don't go for a second round.

• countrygal2345
    countrygal2345 October 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm   

I have been told by a couple of Dr's. that I have spondylosis. But, when I saw a Rheumatologist a couple yrs. ago, he told me he didn't think that was correct But, he never run any tests of any kind and never even gave me an appointment to come back. Do you know if there are certain tests than can be run for a definate aanswer? Thank you. I was told if I did not have surgery on my back 20 or 25 yrs ago that I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 50. I din't have it done and the Lord above has not alowed it to happen yet. And I am almost 67. Now they have refused to see me in the pain clinic because I will not go along with the epidurals in the spine. Guess I have to find a new pain clinic. lol My neck is fusing together all by itself, which is not a good thing for the neck. They have told me that we should have a curve to the neck and mine is almost stright up and down.
    I hope your back is doing some better. They can sure let us know at times that we are not the one in control. Hugs to you…

• Joyess
    Joyess October 26, 2011 at 12:11 am   

I went to a orthopedist who did the surgery. Today they usually require x-rays and an MRI readings to determine what the problem is and what can be done. The pain sure can, and does. Sometimes even gritting your teeth doesn't help. But fortunately for me, it passes. Hugs to you, too joy

• countrygal2345
    countrygal2345 October 26, 2011 at 2:39 pm   

Thanks Joy. I ocassionly go to an Orto doc. I will ask him about that. I get my shots of cotisone to my knee and my shoulder, every 3 months. Hope U R having a good day. Hugs…

• daytiger
    daytiger October 26, 2011 at 12:22 am   

I tried the shots in my back twice and I thought they killed me, and vowed never again.

• 100 Acre Woods
    100 Acre Woods October 21, 2011 at 7:19 pm   

I have had shots in my back. I toOk some Xanax and thought happy thoughts and it wasn't bad.

• Toni Eich
    Toni Eich October 21, 2011 at 8:18 pm   

I already take Xanax to help me sleep. Lidocaine does not help much. I wonder if I am putting enough on?

• 100 Acre Woods
    100 Acre Woods October 21, 2011 at 9:23 pm   

By the way, the shots did not help me so I stopped taking them.
    I did not carefully read everything you said. Have you tried going
    To a Chiropractor?

• Toni Eich
    Toni Eich October 22, 2011 at 9:00 am   

I am not for sure if a chiropractor can adjust my tailbone since it is at such a weird angle. If this first round of 3 shots does not work then I will see.

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes October 23, 2011 at 12:11 pm   

I agree with MWmelbourne about the chiropractor. My first surgery was caused by an ER doctor who was trained as an osteopath. My back was hurting, and instead of doing x-rays first, he did an "adjustment", whereby he twisted me into a pretzel and came down on top of my with all 275 pounds of his weight. My back "cracked" alright. Within 30 minutes I couldn't walk, was crying in pain, and was flat on my back for 6 days before I could get into an ortho. My husband had to carry me back and forth to the bathroom. My advice is to STAY AWAY and stick with the ortho or neurosurgeons. I was also told to try Lidocaine patches on my back and they were the biggest waste of money I've ever seen.

• Paul FL
    Paul FL October 24, 2011 at 7:51 am   

The Lidocaine patches work great on me, are you expecting too much from a numing patch? To boost the workings I use a heating pad on the same place as the patch, works for me. LOL

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes October 24, 2011 at 10:14 am   

I'm glad they work for you. I just think that when they were prescribed for me it was before my fusion, and they had taken away all of my pain meds so that was all I was using. The pain was so bad that they had to move my surgery up.

• Toni Eich
    Toni Eich October 24, 2011 at 10:10 am   

I have the gel. I do not feel an numing. So should I put the gel on then lay on a heating pad?

• MWmelbourne
    MWmelbourne October 22, 2011 at 9:52 am   

I would be VERY, VERY careful of a chiropractor - make sure it is someone certified who you trust explicitly. My 1st husband went weekly for years.. he would feel good after the manipulation but in less than a week the problems were back and this eventually led to worse problems. They treat symptoms and not the cause, offering only temporary relief in my experience - continual manipulation of joints leads to more rapid joint deterioration.

I've had multiple spinal fusions (cervical & lumbar hardware), lamenectomies, and many multiple series of injections so I understand .. it's tough not to be able to sit or sleep… have you tried lidoderm patches? they stay on for 12 hrs and definitely help at night! Good luck & hope you feel better!

• Toni Eich
    Toni Eich October 24, 2011 at 10:08 am   

No I have not tried lidoderm patches. I will ask my doctor about them. Do you take any vitamin supplements for your arthritis?

• MWmelbourne
    MWmelbourne October 24, 2011 at 9:32 pm   

well not specifically for arthritis, but centrum silver, extra Vit B2, B6 & B12 and potassium..2 many other rx*sigh* I do use infarred, heat, ice, massage.. but the lidoderm patches are a wonder because you can leave them on for 12 hrs at a time. sadly they are not cheap but they're a 100x better than something like icy hot.. good luck!

• marieanne
    marieanne October 23, 2011 at 1:34 am   

I agree totally with MWmelborne. Many of them really do not know what to do when you have a serious problem. Out of two different ones- they BOTH
    made mine worse. A lot worse. I do not trust them anymore. Good luck with
    your treatments, wishing you the best outcome possible. Hugs, marieanne

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar