Exercise encouragement

By julesdg Latest Activity October 19, 2011 at 7:33 pm Views 3,511 Replies 23 Likes 7

julesdg

After my surgery I am going to start exercising once again. I need to get back in shape. I have let myself go. I am one that better stays motivated if I have the support and encouragement and yes, even challenge of friends. I have talked to others so I know I am not the only one who plans to start exercising or is already exercising. What I want to know is are other's like me, are they more successful with the encoureagment of friends? This is just another in which we can help each other.

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (23 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Joyess
    Joyess October 30, 2011 at 10:38 pm   
    Edited October 30, 2011 at 10:40 pm by Joyess

I broke my back when I was 28, crushing two vertabrae. Fortunately there was no nerve damage, but years of pain because I had spondylosis in my lower back. Fiinally a spinal fusion which helped. Now with OA and Osteoporsis I hurt miserably at times. But I am walking my dog at a brisk pace, for at least 20 of the thirty minutes we walk and I am doing T'ai Chi, at a senior center, which not only helps my balance and strength, but also fantastically reduces stress.

• Toni Eich
    Toni Eich October 24, 2011 at 10:26 am   

I try and walk 2 times a week for about 30 minutes. I also work out 3 days a week with P90x video's. There are workout programs varying from arm to back to cardio to kenpo. If I am have having a less pain free morning then I attempt a 30 minute leg/back or kenpo program. If I wake up and have more pain then I like then I just work on arms or abs. There are 11 different programs that you can split up and do as much of each as you like. I used to be able to complete each hour program in one setting. Now I shave it down to 30 minutes and go slower.

• Dr Gary
    Dr GaryCA October 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm   

HI!

I am glad to hear that you are getting yourself back into an exercise routine. This is something that I try to do but that I also struggle with. I guess I am lazy at heart, so many things I have to do, have to schedule, that exercise just feels like more work. But once I am doing it, the reward is clear, and I don't know why I avoided it in the first place. At least until I go through the same cycle again. I personaly like to exercise on my own, it's a way of just being with myself, not having to interact with anyone. A break.

But when I first started exerciseing after a long break (a couple of years), it helped me a lot to have friends encourage me, hold me accountable, even meet me at the gym to work out. So I would weigh in on the value of support, especially when you are getting into things.

I wish you the best with this. Please keep us all posted on how you are doing!

Gary

• Calamity Sue
    Calamity Sue October 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm   

Good discussion. Thanks for posting.
    It is more fun to exercise with friends or with someone else, but I try to exercise at least a little every day. If not, I just get too stiff.
    I've been dealing with a foot injury for the past 2 months, so I'm limited in walking and similar exercise. It is doing much better now, but I still have to be careful.
    Have looked around the internet and found some stretches and exercises that can be done either seated or lying down. Also have become good friends with the exercise ball. It is a big one as I might not be able to get up off a small one. :-) It is also weighted in the bottom - light enough so I can move it around easily but heavy enough so it doesn't roll away under me. This works great for me, just have to be careful not to fall off! :-)
    Wishing you the best!

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes October 20, 2011 at 9:51 am   

Just be careful with the type of exercise you do and check with the physical therapists first. Depending on the location of your surgery, I'm sure your surgeon will have you do physical therapy, at least for a short time. Learn all you can from them.

• julesdg
    julesdg October 20, 2011 at 11:22 am   

The surgery is in my right ankle. This makes the second surgery. I have become a couch potato because of my ankle. I really need to become active again.

• acebass
    acebass October 22, 2011 at 8:07 pm   

Can you do the recumbent exercise bicycle? In case you don't know what that is - It's an exercise bike where you sit in a bucket seat, with your legs parallel to the ground; there's no weight on your feet at all.
    I had two surgeries on my foot, and one on my ankle; this was one thing I was able to do. Hopefully, it will work for you.

• Rebecca1000
    Rebecca1000 October 20, 2011 at 3:34 pm   

I feel for you. I am have trouble with my back and my goal is to get back into exercising but it is taking small steps. My plan is to go back to the health club and take water aerobics and use the whirlpool! Hang in there! You can do this! Thanks, Susan

• Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 October 20, 2011 at 11:24 pm   

Thank You!

• tmmira
    tmmira October 20, 2011 at 7:02 am   

good discussion. I am a person with multiple disabilities. I have cerebral palsy from birth but was ambulatory until 2006. From then, I used a walker and a wheelchair which I previously did not use. With my arthritis, I am encouraged to stay active, and use the walker as much as possible. i find using the wheelchair easier especially doing things around the house. Need encouragement to use walker. One thing that works for me is to keep track of the days I walk.

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes October 20, 2011 at 9:53 am   

I'm supposed to be using a walker because of my frequent leg numbness and falls, but I just can't bring myself to do it at my age. I want to stay as active as possible for as long as I can-even though I can't work anymore, I don't want to look like an old lady.

• kittenpurr1
    kittenpurr1 October 20, 2011 at 11:39 pm   

Don't be afraid to use the walker, don't let pride get in the way- a broken hip from a fall takes along time to heal. I know they don't make a great fashion statement, but it's better than the statement of the ouches, should you fall. You have to think like this, what if I were to fall, and it could mess up some nerves, and you couldn't be able to do anything- so, it's better to be safe, than sorry. I don't think any of like the fact that at times we have to use things, but when you weigh in all the factors of what could and couldn't happen, just think about it.

• Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 October 20, 2011 at 7:10 am   

I am here for you do use the walker at least on the days you feel up to it so your muscles will stay strong!

• Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 October 19, 2011 at 7:42 pm   

Great Discussion, I joined Curves today tomorrow at 10 am will start so may need a lot of encourearment lol. yes I will let you know how it goes, The best thing you can do when you have RA or OA is exercise, I am guilty of getting to relaxed on it! This last bout with the Flares has made me more determined to get back in shape! Thanks for posting this.

• marieanne
    marieanne October 22, 2011 at 2:41 am   

Best of luck to you Lizzie, & others trying to get back into shape or
    staying in shape! Hugs, marieanne

• Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 October 22, 2011 at 6:48 am   

Thank You I need all I can get LOL!

• Rebecca1000
    Rebecca1000 October 20, 2011 at 3:36 pm   

How is it at Curves? To they charge very much? Thanks

• Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 October 20, 2011 at 9:13 pm   

Today was my first day and I love it! you go through all the machines but at a slow pace and at your pace! I felt so good afterwaaeds I had a Euphoric High all evening! They also give you a book with so much information about the different foods! I have not had a chance to read it at the present time, I have set a realistic Goal and they will work with me at my pace, This is Great and it is for women only! I like this and later when I get back in shape they teach Zumba at a slower pace, I saw them yesterday when I went and they were having fun, This is a upbeat place! It will help me mentally and Physically! Thanks for asking!

• julesdg
    julesdg October 20, 2011 at 11:18 pm   

I'm so glad you liked it. That will make going more pleasureable. I have wondered about Zumba. How often do you plan to go?

• Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 October 20, 2011 at 11:28 pm   

I will be going on Mon, Wed and Thursday for now, I can go as much as I want to! I am not sure my Body can take it LOL! It was not hard and I cannot wait to start Zumba LOL! It looks so neat! You would like Curves it is not like the other Gyms I have been to! You will have to give it a try when you over your surgery!

• edvel54
    edvel54 October 22, 2011 at 8:36 pm   

I have heard of Curves…What is it like

• TrishPH
    TrishPH October 20, 2011 at 3:23 am   

I am a PE teacher and I have no choice but to stay active. If I didn't it would be the death of me more ways than one. I have the leisure of doing exercises with my students. But I understand that you do not. If you just start out by taking short brisk walk around your neighborhood this will get you started. Check with your surgeon first. Ask him/her what is appropriate for you to do to strengthen your muscles right now. He may have you go to rehab. This will help you get started to get back in shape. Then you will start to get stronger and feel better but it takes time. Best wishes on your recovery!

• TrishPH
    TrishPH October 24, 2011 at 9:23 pm   

Not advanced enough with my RA yet. I hope i will not need a walker and I continue to work with my Ruma Doc.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar