How long after getting a cortisone shot should I be feeling better?

By dreamofnopain Latest Activity October 1, 2011 at 9:25 am Views 16,592 Replies 23 Likes 3

dreamofnopain

I got a cort shot under a flori scope three days ago in my right hip joint still feeling lots of pain. Dr. said may or may not work. Just wondering if I am expecting to much too soon. This is third shot first time under flori. Hip joint is bone on bone. Was hoping for a last ditch effort before actual replacement. I have been battling this for well over three years with various different treatments, Pt. meds, ecetra. Pain is still there and going down butt and thigh to knee like before when I walk but not as significant as it is when I lay or sit.
:(

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (23 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Ironman49
    Ironman49 March 11, 2013 at 4:39 pm   

Got my first cort shot today in right knee. It hurt and my knee hurts more now to the point I can't even put any weight on my right leg. Hope it starts working tomorrow. Hope you are doing better this year.

• redorangedog
    redorangedog November 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm   

Redorandedog, I would give it 3 days. If it did not work by then, it was not going to help. I have had so many injections over the years, sometimes the doctor gets the right location sometimes she does't.Red

• jayabee52
    jayabee52 October 3, 2011 at 9:35 pm   

I had a cortisone shot many years ago in my Rt hip and knee. It was not done flouoscomicly (is that even a word?) It was heaven! As I recall my relief was almost instantaneous. And outside of a few twinges every now and again to let me know it could flare up again, for the most part the cortisone shot has worked and kept me pain free in the neighborhood of 20 or 25 years.

• bjaneb
    bjaneb October 11, 2011 at 11:58 am   

Received a shot in both hips at my latest Drs. app., made all the difference. Now gettting comfee in bed at night is no problem 99.7% of the time:)

• Ms Etta
    Ms Etta October 3, 2011 at 8:53 pm   

Sorry to be the barrier of bad news but I've every shot known and I still cry in good weather or bad weather. Again EVRYBODY IS DIFFERENT but you have to try everything and pray that you get some relief at some point. God Bless you and I hope you are better real soon.

• Bobby827
    Bobby827 December 7, 2012 at 12:47 am   

Ms Etta the way health care is now Doctors are told what to do by insurance companies and government. Please seek other opinions till you get relief.

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes October 3, 2011 at 6:24 pm   

First of all, I really like your name "dreamofnopain", because I've been doing that for the last 11 years. I do know quite a bit about cortisone shots from having a total of 16, but they were all for back and sciatic pain and not for my hip. The first set of three shots I had were done in a doc's office (no fluoro)-the first set helped for about 3-4 months and I was totally off the pain meds. Unfortunately, over the next 6 months, my DDD continued to worsen despite a hemilaminectomy to remove part of a disc at L4-L5. Every shot since then, even under fluoro, has made the pain worse. I must say that my doc, like yours, used a shot under fluoro as a "last ditch effort" for pain relief just prior to my second surgery, and it made it so much worse they had to move the surgical date up. My husband has suffered with bone on bone pain in his hip, and the only thing that helped was the hip replacement. He was like a new person after having the surgery done, and was back to work as a nurse in no time. If the medication was going to work, it should have done so by now, and my recommendation is to look forward to the day your surgery for replacement is scheduled for!! I know it's scary-I was scared to death with both surgeries, but the relief afterward was worth the recovery period and all the psychological stress I put myself through worrying. Good luck and hang in there!!

• marieanne
    marieanne October 2, 2011 at 11:12 pm   

Hi Dear1, I am sorry that you are still- in so much pain. I got 1 of these
    a few yrs. back for sciatic nerve pain, which is horrible. It was working for
    me within a few hrs. & lasted for aprox. 3 mos. They told me the same
    thing when I got it- that it may or may not work. I am not clear about
    what the flori scope is, but mine was computer-guided imagery, I believe.
    It did work well for me. Best success with this- Hugs, marieanne

• marieanne
    marieanne October 3, 2011 at 9:15 pm   

Update- actually mine was a nerve block instead of a cortisone shot-
    it's been a while since I've had it so I forgot which one til now.
    Sorry- Hugs, marieanne

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine October 4, 2011 at 1:50 pm   

If the shots no longer work, then it is time to get the replacements. I'd had both knees and both hips replaced. (Hips done 3 months apart each other) So glad I had them done! The bone on bone pain was awful!!! Much better now. I still have pain, but not like I did. Good Luck! :)

• acebass
    acebass October 1, 2011 at 11:22 pm   

It's been my experience that, unless they hurt like Hell, the shots miss the mark and don't work. They usually take 3 or 4 days to work and don't last long enough.

I feel for you - I walked around with bone on bone for a few years - people think that if you can walk, even with a cane, it can't hurt that much.

Anyway, What do I know? I'm only an expert at two things - Playing Bass and Complaining!

Your Pal,

Ace of Baseness

PS - I'm one of those rare people who doesn't mind complaining, as long as it's not about me :-D !!!

Leadfoot

• MWmelbourne
    MWmelbourne October 1, 2011 at 10:35 pm   

sorry to hear of your suffering , but if your dealing w/bone on bone - cortisone or depo shots wont help much, nerve blocks might but there is risk in those too. $ - vs- results.. there are no guarantees. My husband had 2 total hips 6 months apart that were bone on bone in 1998 and he's doing pretty good and one thing's for sure the hip pain is gone!

… in reading the posts below I have to agree that response to shots varies from person to person and even injection to injection. With significant pressure on nerves can cause permanant damage so good communication with your doctors is important… sounds like you have someone who's honest! Good luck!

• AJAXJA
    AJAXJA October 1, 2011 at 7:41 pm   

Dear Dreamofropain, I have had two cortizone shots since May of this year. From my personal experience, and what I've been told by my doctors, it varies with each shot and each person.
    The first cortizone shot I had back in May, for the first three days I regretted having it because I hurt more than I did prior to having the shot. However, when I woke up on the fourth day, my back and leg felt completely different and I was virtually pain free for approximately 2 1/2 months.
    I just had my second shot 2 weeks ago yesterday and I have had almost a complete 180 degree difference in how the shot has worked. For the first three days I experienced very little to no pain at all. Unfortunately to my dismay, since then my pain has been worse.
    After calling the doctor who did the shot and I told him what was going on here is basically what he told me.
    "Depending on the amount of cortizone that is injected into the given area it can take up to three weeks before you feel the full results of the shot."
    I can't say I fully understand the methodology behind this but I guess I'm stuck with what the doctor told me.

• Ms Etta
    Ms Etta October 3, 2011 at 8:57 pm   

I've been there too after the 3rd injection I just didn't go back tooo costly not so speak of the pain to. Every night my prayer is to find some relief from this awful pain that ( we ) suffer from you have to have it to know about IT !

• MWmelbourne
    MWmelbourne October 3, 2011 at 11:37 am   

you are not alone!

• wilconnie
    wilconnie October 1, 2011 at 2:04 pm   

You should feel relief almost immediately after your shot. I hope you are better today. If you are not better you should call your dr on Monday.

• MWmelbourne
    MWmelbourne October 1, 2011 at 10:38 pm   

not necessarily - there are short and long acting meds.. some take as many as 3 days to reach max "effectiveness".. for inflamation - with Depo shots yes the relief should be sooner rather than later ;-)

• dreamofnopain
    dreamofnopain October 1, 2011 at 7:14 pm   

Well I have an appointment with my Dr. in two weeks. I did not know if maybe I was expecting things too soon.

• 0ld car
    0ld car October 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm   

I am sorry you are going through this because I went through the same thing. Had cort. shot put in my left hip, lasted about a month. I had a total hip replacement done this past June and I dont regret is now (was dreading) I am facing both knees to be replaced I have already had shots in them and dont work. Will be glad when its over

• Ms Etta
    Ms Etta October 3, 2011 at 9:07 pm   
    Edited October 3, 2011 at 9:10 pm by Ms Etta

All I can say is my prayers are with you. 5 surgical procedures on one knee was enough for me. Although the pain in my left knee is getting worse. I can't bring myself to get another knee replacement but I will probably get a arthroscopy done very soon. I am in too much pain from the first and second partcial replacements. I know some of you don't understand but very quickly I had 3
    arthroscopy's done the first time for the replacement ( so I thought ) The femur and the Tibia was replaced and I cried for 4 months then the pattella was replaced. I've been crying every since. Before trying to correct the damage done to the knee replacement I developed Bursitis in my hip so bad I had surgery on it not a hip replacement but something to remove the bursa. This was after cortizone injections for 3 months in the hip. I have 2 hernitated disk in my lower back. If it weren't for my primary care Dr. I would be a basket case because all the other Dr.s have abandon me. I'm 61 and pain wakes me up in the middle of the night. Not every night but enough to be very annoyed with this thing called pain.

• dreamofnopain
    dreamofnopain October 1, 2011 at 7:06 pm   

Thank you so much for the lovely gifts and support. Even though it seems it is not going to work. :( for me I had to try it. I have tried just about everything they have thrown at me. I simply can not believe I feel like I have the bones of a ninety year old already. Then there are the ninety year olds that are kicken and running around and not even batting an eyelash about hip pain.. arghhh.. Oh I guess I just am venting a littile bit tonight because of pain.. I am sorry.. :( but thank you for your ear of listening..

• 0ld car
    0ld car October 1, 2011 at 7:15 pm   

thats ok vent all you want

• Ms Etta
    Ms Etta October 3, 2011 at 9:11 pm   

Thats what I love about this site. I always say at least while you are on this site the pain isn't so bad. Thanks to everyone on this site !

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar