why is it so hard to get disability

By qitxn Latest Activity September 24, 2011 at 3:59 pm Views 5,962 Replies 11 Likes 5


I am physically a wreck and I tried to get on disability but they said I could still do some kind of work…Do you all fall into the same category? Cant do what I want or what I used to do being a Early Childhood Educator, but supposedly I can still do somethings. I can't lift, bend, walk very far, sit very long, and need help doing just about everything at my home. My kids are both older and my senior will only be here a few more months before college, then what? I'm scared to think of myself trying to do too much all the time and not getting anything accomplished because of my pain. I'd love to hear how you all got help from disability or if you are facing the same challenges I am with them.

  • Report Report as inappropriate
  • Share
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (11 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • Kcfan1
    Kcfan1 March 24, 2013 at 7:45 pm   

    I have been denied twice, so I contacted an attorney. They want me to have my rheumatologist fill out paperwork determining how disabled I am. He refuses.

  • Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes October 4, 2011 at 8:49 am   

    I'm having the same problem you are. After my second back surgery, I was no longer able to work as a nurse, so I went back to school and took paralegal classes; worked for 5 more years for attorneys doing medical malpractice cases, reviewing medical records. After being rear-ended in November 2008, I was no longer able to work because I can't sit at the computer for more than 15 minutes at a time without my left leg going entirely numb. Looking down at the computer gives me severe headaches from the damaged cervical vertebrae, and my left arm goes entirely numb. I fall frequently, can't lift over 10 pounds, can't walk up any stairs. My poor husband works 60 hours a week and has to do all the grocery shopping, laundry, vacuuming, etc. I can only cook easy meals because I can't stand or walk for more than 15 minutes at a time. I have an attorney, have been turned down twice and am now waiting on a court date. They want my MD's to fill out paperwork, but my pain management doctor wants me to go and have a 4 hour test stating what I can and can't do-unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover it, and they want $800.00 up front or they won't do it. I don't have that kind of money and don't know what to do next. We've lost our house to foreclosure and have been close to homelessness several times. No wonder I'm on antianxiety meds and antidepressants! I realize there are a lot of malingerers who have been approved, but my medical records show that I am not one of them. I can't even drive anymore-how am I supposed to go to work?

  • Apostolic45
    Apostolic45 September 29, 2011 at 8:20 am   

    I've been trying to get my disability for 4 years now. It's ridiculous having to wait that long, and I have a lawyer. They told me my pain and all my medical conditions are not bad enough. that I could do some kind of work because I have had some college. That doesn't mean that I can work. I'm still fighting them. There are so many people that have told me they got a mental one and got it quick, but I don't want to lie. So I will just keep praying. :)

  • MyBestFriendsAreDogs
    MyBestFriendsAreDogs September 28, 2011 at 6:12 pm   

    It is hard to get on disability bcz there are lots of frauds and bcz the funds are so limited they have to be real tough. That is not to say that I agree with the government. I do not know if I have been approved for SSD yet but have been told the minimum waiting period is 6 months in Illinois. I have also read that Illinois is one of the most restrictive States when it comes to applying for SSD/I. Some of this does depend on what State you live in. Now I did qualify for a home helper through Area Agency on Aging (you must be at least 55). They come & clean, cook, transport to grocery store, doctors, or hospital appts. Many of the workers they hire do not want to work. You have to make a fuss everytime you get a Lazy. This is a government program so if you look online you should be able to find services for those under 55 and disabled. I ran across this while reporting abuse of a disabled bedridden young man through my job (soom jobs require reporting of abuse, emergencies, etc. when we come across them). I no longer work but will never forget it. Just go to Area Agency on Aging and search or call for referral to an agency that handles disabled under 55. SSI/D will frequently ignore invisible pain bcz they have no way of scientifically proving it. Looks like in your case they went too far. I also suffer from severe chronic pain-have you tried your local pain center? My thoughts will be with you-Good luck w/SSD.

  • sheriden
    sheriden September 27, 2011 at 10:54 pm   

    It is hard to get on. If you are having problems SSI AND SSDI have lawyers who are payed by the state you live in I would hand it over to them. One letter from a ATT. on my behalf and I had my SSI. Will pray you get this soon I know how hard it is. Blessings to you and yours.

  • MyBestFriendsAreDogs
    MyBestFriendsAreDogs September 28, 2011 at 5:51 pm   

    Great advice! I live in Illinois and have never heard of lawyers funded by SSI/DI to work on our behalf. Currently I am applying for SSD & have just been approved for Long Term Disability by my employer thank goodness. Do you know how I can find out about this? The only people I know in Illinois have had to hire lawyers to get SSI/D. These lawyers charge about 1/3 of your initial back payment. Anything cheaper would be great.

  • catroter53
    catroter53 September 27, 2011 at 11:14 am   

    i got my ssd with the help of a lawyer,, which he is also doing my workers, comp case,, i can no longer work either ,,,do to my low back injury, and left foot,, i say get a lawyer, i walk with a walker and i do have a foot brace,,

  • squog master
    squog master September 24, 2011 at 7:05 pm   

    In my case I still have an open wound from emergency hernia surgery in 2009 so I can't work. But my best friend since we were toddlers, who has also had Cerebral Palsy since he was 2 had to get a lawyer. The way I understand it you can get a free consultation & the lawyer gets paid after you are awarded the disability. It is also retroactive from the time you are deamed disabled. But the first thing you should do is get a lawyer because of what you have already been told. Plus he will know how to advise you best. Gook Luck!

  • marieanne
    marieanne September 29, 2011 at 3:14 am   

    Do yourself a big favor & save yourself a lot of time & grief- Get a lawyer-
    you can look for one that will take your case & take a small amt. "only if
    you collect." squog master is exactly right- bc if you go into it without a
    lawyer & lose your case, it's unlikely anyone will take your case. My case
    was lost in the system for over 7 mos., they couldn't even tell me where
    it was (the actual case file), I am in Iowa, it was in Virginia- no one knew why
    it was there- & it took a lawyer to find it. Even if this does'nt happen to
    you, you should still have a lawyer as your chances of getting the disability
    are best, when a lawyer is involved. What they do is keep turning you
    down if you don't have a lawyer, I believe that they want people to
    just give up, & some do. Everyone gets turned down the first time , that
    is routine- so don't be discouraged by this, as it happens to everyone. The
    payments for this amt. go back to the date when you first became dis-
    abled. Proof from your own Doctors is very important as they do consider
    this, & then will send you to their Drs., also. You also can have written
    statements from people who know you are disabled to be submitted to
    the court when you get a hearing, many people don't know this- but it's
    true. Mostly, the Drs. you are seeing, are the ones who will either support
    you in this or not, hopefully your Drs. will support you in this need. Try
    to look for lawyers that "specialize only in disability cases", as they know
    best what to do. Wishing you the best in this endeavor. Hugs, marieanne

  • Gemm
    Gemm September 27, 2011 at 1:52 pm   

    Many people have to get lawyers. Most lawyers who work with disability do work on the basis of pay after settlement. It doesn't go back to when you are considered disables usually but from the 1st time you filed. My husband was one who was fortunate and we didn't have to get a lawyer for his - he got his in about 4 months from when he filed and had no denials as almost everyone we know who has gotten disability has had at least one and many have fought for years.

    I'd suggest you see about getting a lawyer to help you. At least find one to go talk to. Most lawyers who deal with disability advertise as such in the yellow pages of your local phone books and many do on TV as well. Good luck and hope you can get it soon. It will still take a year or 2 to be able to get medicare unless you are already of an age to be eligible for it so you still may need to have your own private insurance. My husbands through his union will pay for ours for at least 1 year after he was considered disabled and we can still pay a small premium to keep me on it until I can become eligible for medicaid myself from my age which will be soon anyway.

    GL & HUGS

  • squog master
    squog master September 29, 2011 at 4:02 pm   

    Reading back over my reply I think you might have thought I meant the lawyer's fee was retroactive. I meant the disability payments are retroactive to the time you are deamed disabled. Not the lawyer's fee.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar