Morning routines?

By Fire Woman Latest Activity September 18, 2011 at 8:54 pm Views 2,939 Replies 13 Likes 7

Fire Woman

I've noticed with my RA, mornings are rough. It takes me a while to try and crawl out of bed and tend to hobble around until my joints decide they want to function. Majority of the time, I just lay in bed and stare at the ceiling until I ask someone to bring me my pain meds.

Does anyone have morning routines that work? I've heard that hot/warm water helps loosen joints, as well as exercises. Do you have a morning routine that works for you?

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (13 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • kakkilea
    kakkilea March 15, 2013 at 7:23 am   

Like Jesse 798, I use more than one alarm, 3 actually. On the first alarm I get up hobble along and get my pain med. Them lay back down until the third alarm.I usually say my morning prayers and read a short devotional
    This helps me focus away from myself. I also have a set maximum time that I will allow myself to stay in bed in the morning. I will will myself to get up and once I do that I am usually able to be up until a midafternoon nap. Once up I have a seat in my bathroom I sit in to do my morning routine, starting with a very hot, steamy washcloth to my face and hands.In warm weather I then sit in the sunshine on my deck with a cup of coffee. This is a long routine but it works for me. Hope this might help someone else"

• Jesse798
    Jesse798 March 15, 2013 at 5:53 am   

I have found that two alarms, and having a mini nap between helps me. I also leave enough time in the morning for stiffness- making sure of the foods to avoid also help my mornings. I have found that while it does not decrease my pain to avoid them, if i eat nightshade vegetables the night before i am in more severe pain and stiffness in the morning. I agree with Lori Brynes with stretching- if i do light stretches a few times a day, after a couple of days i found i was less stiff waking up xxx

• byesk
    byesk February 24, 2013 at 11:38 am   

I like to wake myself up with a cup of hazel nut coffee and a frut salad. And then I take a hot shower to loosen my body up. The heat really does help— I'd look ibto getting one of those small pillow case things filled with ric or cherry pits that you heat in the microwave. It works wonders. Especially at the end of a long day.

• Lori Byrnes
    Lori Byrnes October 6, 2011 at 7:50 pm   

The thing that helps me the most in the mornings is to set my clock for 30 minutes before needing to get out of bed and having my morning pain pill and a glass of water to take at my bedside. The first thing I do is take the pill, wait about 15 minutes for it to start working, and then do some light stretching and movement of my joints (in my case, my back, neck, and left arm and left leg.) By the time I have to stan up, the pain is starting to be tolerable, and at least I don't fall down from my left sided weakness. As far as pain in the night and being unable to sleep, I had a pain management doctor who tried everything, but I would sleep 4 hours and wake up in pain. His solution was to prescribe Trazadone 100mg and Valium 10mg at bedtime, to be repeated in 4 hours if needed. The Trazadone is non-narcotic, but works well for sleep, and the Valium helps with my muscle spasms, my anxiety, and my sleep. I have found that I usually only have to take one dose and I sleep at least 7 hours. Prior to this, I had tried Ambien, Melatonin, Benadryl, and all the prescription sleep meds that insurance doesn't want to pay for without relief. Now, I can take the Trazadone without the Valium, so you might want to ask your doctor about the benefits of this med (again, it's not like you're asking for a narcotic). Good luck and God Bless.

• emann
    emann September 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm   

I have been experiencing bad mornings lately due to flairing up. I usually wake up between 3 and 5 and take a tramadol which helps the morning get up not as bad. I also get up as lying in bed will just make loosening up take that much longer. If I stay in bed longer than 8.5/9 hours the joints take forever to loosen up. Hot showers usually help. Heating pads could probably help. If my stiffness lasts for more than a few weeks in the morning past a few hours I usually have to get a cortisone injection and that helps for a few months. If I find myself not being able to sleep I take melatonin which is a natural sleep enhancer, if it's pain I usually take a strong pain med.

• lovemy12baby
    lovemy12baby September 22, 2011 at 1:42 pm   

Swimming in a warm pool helps

• Lana
    Lana September 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm   

Mornings can be quite tough with RA. Some mornings, I limp to the bathroom. Other mornings, I deal with some stiffness and once I get moving, I am fine. But there are mornings where I need the walls for support because my joints feel like they are going to cave in. My mornings are unpredictable as I am sure yours are. It might help to take a natural sleep aid before bed because the more rested you are, the easier the morning will be. A NSAID, like Advil, before bed might help as well. Other than that, just keep moving. While it might be tempting to stay in bed, it can become a vicious cycle. Strive for the little victories – the days where the pain and stiffness is minimal. If are not having mornings where the painful and stiffness lasts less than 15 minutes, then to talk to your doctor because that probably means your treatment plan needs to be changed. Good luck.

• sarahb114
    sarahb114 September 19, 2011 at 12:30 am   

I have RA and have not found anything that works for me in mornings but what about the middle of the night? I wake up several of times usually when pain meds it's time to take more, any suggestions on that? I just want to sleep threw the night

• lovemy12baby
    lovemy12baby September 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm   

My dr just gave me tramodone to sleep at night ask to try that. I also buy the calming baby bath stuff from johnson and Johnson and take a hot bath before bed or sometimes Epsom salt bath

• robertoj
    robertoj September 22, 2011 at 3:26 am   

I'm exactly the same. I also have a stiff back but it loosens up faster than my joints.

• TrishPH
    TrishPH September 19, 2011 at 11:56 am   

Sounds like me. I cannot go back to sleep either. Let me know if you figure it out. I could use some help sleeping better too.

• marieanne
    marieanne September 19, 2011 at 12:09 am   

Although I have OA, it sure sounds familiar- what you describe here. I struggle
    when first getting up, too. I do use very warm water in my showers, & baths
    to help with the stiffness, & pain. I really can't say I have a routine as such-
    just do what's necessary to get up, & moving. If it would help you, I would
    suggest some pain-relieving cremes or gels put directly on the affected
    areas, this should work faster than pain meds. It takes me quite a while
    to move about, without fear of failing. I use these before going to bed
    & they can be keep in your bedroom for use in the AM, as well. A heating
    pad is a good item to have around, if heat helps you. Although they don't
    recommend using them while your sleeping, you could use one when
    awakening, if it might help you. I hope this has helped you somewhat,
    others may have some good ideas, too. If your not sure of which cremes/
    gels to use, you might want to check out "Product reviews" here at AC-
    Best of luck to you. Hugs, marieanne

• ColleenTekell
    ColleenTekell September 18, 2011 at 9:35 pm   

In the mornings when I go to get up I hurt so bad and I have to slide half of my body out of the bed so that I'm on my knees then use the side of the bed to push myself up. I've also been having really bad pains in my right wrist and thumb. They hurt so bad that even pain pills aren't making them feel better. I get to see the doctor on the 28th and I'm going to ask him to check them out for me. I'm hoping that it's not a pinched nerve. Anyway, thanks for listening. Have a nice night!
    Colleen

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar