High liver enzymes & Gastro doctor

By Nichole81 Latest Activity September 13, 2011 at 7:42 pm Views 1,732 Replies 10 Likes 3

Nichole81

Ok folks I need some help again since I'm in-between Rheumy's and I think our combined knowledge and personal experience is as good as a doctor!! ;) I had my liver enzymes checked again yesterday & still high so my PCP referred me to a Gastro doctor, but the nurse couldn't tell me why! And the doctor wasn't available…so I'm in the dark again…anyone else had to see a Gastro for high liver enzymes??

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (10 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • eistot
    eistot September 15, 2011 at 9:12 am   
    Edited September 15, 2011 at 9:12 am by eistot

The liver can be a problem. That is why I take methotrexate in shot form. Any medicine you take by mouth will hit your liver. Ibrophen has been said to be hard on the liver. My remy doesn't want me to use it. I also take folic acid as well which is suppose to do something with your red blood cells. My remy wants blood work every month. Gastro doc would make sense if you are injesting a lot of medicine by mouth. Once again I prefer the shots anytime over the mouth. I take 3 for MS and 1 for RA and everynight 1 for type II diabeties. I really think I am falling apart. But I will keep plugging along. I refused to jump ship.

• MWmelbourne
    MWmelbourne September 14, 2011 at 11:01 am   

Nsaids and most RA drugs are hard on your liver.. why most docs reqire all that wonderful blood work.. I told them once that when my liver quit functioning I would meet them at the hospital… but they didn't think that was funny and said honestly by then said it would be tooo late (no sense of humor) so we go have the lab work done monthly.

My mom has been to our gastro doc (whom we love!) tracking evalated liver enzymes. She was quite sick for awhile, but she is doing well now. She has forgone that occasional glass of wine with dinner to give her liver a break & help it be more healthy. Diet can help..

good luck in finding a doc to help.

• hobber
    hobber September 14, 2011 at 9:43 am   

Many RA drugs affect the liver esp. methotrexate and leflunomide. So your meds could have had an effect. Also, high liver enzymes could be an onset to something else; since I am not a doctor, I won't speculate. But if caught early, the liver has the potential to heal itself.
    I don't know where you live, but in our area the local hospital has an excellent physician referral service. Also, if you live near a major university with a med center that could help immensely. But there you must have patience because you may be examined by many student docs with their instructor making the final dx. In my experience this was beneficial because there is more than one input and little is missed. Good luck and I hope all works out well for you and thank you for keeping us posted.

• MWmelbourne
    MWmelbourne September 14, 2011 at 11:06 am   

… now I try NOT to torture med students, but everytime I have been in a teaching hospital, I feel sorry for the kids trying to dx me. I joked the last time I was in the CICU @ Shands hospital in Gainesville, FL that I would donate my body to science to see if they coud finally figure it all out!

[no joke I am donating every scrap to anyone who can used it.. maybe give back the 1/2 dozen pieces of donor bone I'm carrying around. and if anyone has ever been near a burn unit.. well I'll say no more, but if they can learn something to help anyone else I'm for it.. my driver's license and entire family know my wishes!]

• marieanne
    marieanne September 14, 2011 at 11:35 pm   

I really feel for them Med. students! My Mom donated herself, too. She had so many things wrong with her, that they gave her back to us! This
    is definitely something that may help someone, you never know- in the
    long-run. This is how the practice of Medicine began- in the beginning.
    I am sure that it has helped many learn, what they need to. Hugs, marieanne

• marieanne
    marieanne September 13, 2011 at 8:25 pm   

Sorry that I don't know anything about this dear1, but I am wishing
    you well- on this. Maybe you can find out something by calling your
    local hospital & asking to talk to a nurse, sometimes they can answer
    questions, as I have done this. We have here a community service at
    our local hospital where we can call & ask to talk to a nurse- for questions.
    I hope this helps you~ Hugs, marieanne

• Nichole81
    Nichole81 September 13, 2011 at 8:50 pm   

Thank you! I hope that it won't take too long to get the appointment and then I can just ask the doc! :)

• birch21
    birch21 September 14, 2011 at 12:20 am   

Hello Nichole81, I too see a gastro doctor due to having high liver enzymes. I have found out that I have a fatty liver but don't really know a lot more. At one point the doctor thought I might have cirrohis of the liver even though I have never in my life touched a drop of alcohol thankfully through a liver biospy it turns out that I just have a fatty liver and my gastro doctor has me taking 800 IU of natural vitamin E on a daily basis. I have to take the vitamin e to get my 800IU by taking 2 400IU every day but that is not a problem. One thing that could be causing high liver enzymes might have been from some of the meds you have been taking for the rhumey. Just food for thought hope you get some answers real soon. Please keep us posted.

• Nichole81
    Nichole81 September 14, 2011 at 6:56 am   

Thank you so much!! That answers everything for me..I think!! I had an ultrasound done of my liver back 4 years ago when they were trying to find out what was going on w/ me (before I was DX w/ PsA and found that I too have a fatty liver?? lol fatty a$$, fatty thighs..even my dang liver is fattty!! LOL But I did lose 60 pounds recently and when I had another ultrasound done it didn't show the fatty inflitrates(sp?) ssooo…IDK…I'm going to go see him and go from there and hopefuly get some answers!! Thanks so much again!! See this is why I LOVE LOVE LOVE you guys and gals!! I get answers!! :)

• birch21
    birch21 September 14, 2011 at 5:28 pm   

Glad to know that I was a little help in the big picture. Take care and keep up posted as to how things are going.

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar