Natural Healing Methods~

By marieanne Latest Activity September 8, 2011 at 2:16 pm Views 5,793 Replies 59 Likes 7

marieanne

This is posted for those wanting to share what they believe are
useful ways of helping us to heal~
This can be dietary changes, meditations, herbal remedies,
exercises, etc.

These are mean't to be offerings only, they are not up for debating,
please keep to the subject matter here, & respect those posting here~
Thank you, Hugs, marieanne

• Report Report as inappropriate
    Email Email
    Print Print Twitter Twitter
    Facebook Facebook

Replies (59 replies)

Add your reply Reply Down
  • emann
    emann September 17, 2011 at 8:43 pm   

I have had arthritis since the age of 2 and have tried so many things. Lately I have started seeing a D.O. who specializes in homeopathic treatments. He is AWESOME I think. I am doing different cleanses after finding out many different things about my body. I do acupuncture when I'm flaring and have for the last 7 years, love it! I also go to a chiropractor. I do deep water aerobics so there is no pressure on the joints at all, highly recommend it if you can find it around you. I mix these natural treatments with my prescribed medications. I'm starting a 4 week cleanse tomorrow to rid my body of the yeast overgrowth (thanks to prednisone) so I'm hoping that will help with the increase in pain I have had recently. I do scented rice sacks, biofreeze and sauna after the pool. Lots of different options out there to try which is nice. My goal is to be more supplements then western medications.

• marieanne
    marieanne September 20, 2011 at 12:44 am   

Thank for posting emann. I am glad that you have found things that
    work for you. Please explain more about the scented rice sacks, as I
    am not familiar with this method, thanks. I am sure these will be
    helpful ideas to some here. Hugs, marieanne

• emann
    emann September 22, 2011 at 6:18 pm   

Marieanne the scented rice sacks are those sacks that you can heat up in the microwave and you can put different natural oils in them. Some people think that certain oils and scents help with inflammation, stress, stiffness, etc. I got mine for a gift…I'm pretty sure it was purchased at one of those carts you see in the middle of a mall:) Otherwise if you know how to sew you could make your own…directions Im sure are online.

• jjjenni
    jjjenni October 1, 2011 at 10:43 pm   

My daughter made rice sacks from tube socks in elementary school. The decorated them with faces and made them look like bugs. They were pretty cute. She gave them to us as presents for Christmas.

• marieanne
    marieanne September 25, 2011 at 12:46 pm   

Thanks, these don't sound hard to make.
    Hugs, marieanne

• jayabee52
    jayabee52 September 26, 2011 at 2:50 am   
    Edited September 26, 2011 at 2:53 am by jayabee52

the mother of my sons made many of them as christmas gifts one year. They're not difficult to make. The ones which lay on your neck like a horse shoe are a bit harder to make, but the ones that are just squares of cloth sown together are a cinch

She put cloves in the filling mixture and that really smelled good when heated. We also kept one or two in the freezer when needing a cold pack, and it worked fairly well

• marieanne
    marieanne September 25, 2011 at 12:41 pm   

Cool. I like this & I do know how to sew. Some spices I know of help
    ease pain, & esp. inflammation are Ginger, & Cloves. Almonds are also
    good at relieving inflammation. Ginger is also known to calm the stomach.
    I have been studying these types of things to aide me in my health, the
    natural way. Hugs, marieanne

• jvbs
    jvbs September 15, 2011 at 9:51 am   

Has anyone tried acupuncture, acupressure, or reflexology? I've always wondered about them, how well they work.

• Sheri26
    Sheri26 April 29, 2012 at 6:59 pm   

Yes I have, all very relaxing, helpful with my Fibromyalgia and arthristis pain

• Sazzle
    Sazzle September 26, 2011 at 9:37 am   

I have done acupuncture. I loved it! I can't say how much it helped my pain, but I found it incredibly restful and it most certainly helps with stress, and anxiety. Which in turn does help with symptoms.

• lovemy12baby
    lovemy12baby September 22, 2011 at 1:52 pm   

I did acupuncture and did nothing

• acebass
    acebass September 21, 2011 at 11:31 pm   

I had accupuncture. It worked pretty well, but I had really bad arthritis and needed surgery. Bottom line was that it bought me a few months.

• marieanne
    marieanne September 21, 2011 at 11:45 pm   

This is good to know, thanks for posting for us. It is expensive?
    Hugs, marieanne

• Sheri26
    Sheri26 April 29, 2012 at 7:03 pm   

I did mine through my chiroprator, 3 visits for $75.00, and for me the effect last me about 2-3 months, I try to get all 3 (acupuncture, acupressure, or reflexology the 3 for $ 75.00) done in one week. Then go back again for all 3 in 2-3 months, well worth the money for me, for my pain..

• marieanne
    marieanne September 14, 2011 at 9:23 pm   

I've heard that camimille (sp) is supposed to be very calming, also.
    Anyone heard of this, too? Just a thought~ Hugs, marieanne

• jvbs
    jvbs September 15, 2011 at 9:49 am   

Chamomile is relaxing. It's a great herbal tea for just before you go to bed. It tastes a little like apples. If you grow it to harvest for yourself, it looks like mini daisies.

• marieanne
    marieanne September 15, 2011 at 10:20 am   

I would like to try growing this. Thanks, jvbs! Now I'm wondering if
    it would grow in the Midwest. I would think so. Any other uses for
    this, such as lotions, etc.? Hugs, marieanne

• qitxn
    qitxn September 12, 2011 at 8:02 am   

Great ideas from all of you! I stretch my legs and arms every day. It may seem simple but my muscles tighten up and it makes my pain worse. I have come up with some simple stretches in my kitchen hanging onto the counter or a kitchen chair. It is my favorite remedy. I also got into essential oils a few years back. Rose oil, rose water really help me. It is healing and helps with my depression as well as my pain. Really good rose otto oils are very expensive but worth every penny. You can find rose oil at your local metaphysical store or order online. I love to go to renessaince festivals and usually pick some up there. Warm water is very good for our muscles, shower, hot tub also ice packs on my neck, and lower back work really well to bring down inflammation and numb my pain. Hope this helps someone! Love and Hugs!

• jvbs
    jvbs September 15, 2011 at 9:47 am   

Great ideas. I will definitely get my rose oil out. I need to do a lot more research in aromatherapy. I do stretch as much as possible, it does help. I also do range of motion exercises trying to keep as flexible as possible.

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine September 14, 2011 at 8:46 pm   

I use lavendar for baths, my eye pillow, head-aches, for aroma therapy, massage into my nuscles, and drink in tea with lemon. Its very relaxing and also helps for anxiety. Try it sometime! :)

• qitxn
    qitxn September 15, 2011 at 8:23 am   

Lavendar is wonderful! very relaxing and stress relieving. so glad you enjoy herbs too! Lavendar farms were very popular for a while, there is one close to our farm here in Kansas. I hear it takes alot of work to grow and harvest. I'd like to visit it one day. Many blessings to you morningsunshine!

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess September 14, 2011 at 12:31 pm   

How do you use roseoil?

• qitxn
    qitxn September 14, 2011 at 7:11 pm   

I use it as a massage oil, as an inhalant for stress, as part of my morning meditation, you can bathe in it, put in a little herb or rose petal bag for comfort to take along with you or to use in an eye pillow with lavender. I put some on my wrists every morning and on my "third eye" which is on your forehead :) I read a lot about aromatherapy and it really helps me, I hope it helps you too :)

• marieanne
    marieanne September 13, 2011 at 1:13 am   

Thanks for sharing these very good tips! I too, having the tensing of
    muscles, & tightness. This gives me some ideas to try, thanks! Hugs,
    marieanne

• vernalea@yahoo.com
    vernalea@yahoo.com September 11, 2011 at 10:28 am   

I was on Boniva for eight years. Last year I fainted in the hall and broke my right leg in five places and my left leg in one place. The doctors found out that Boniva did not work. It could have been since I had a gastric bypass, it didnt absorb. I had casts on both legs for five months. They kept me in the hospital for seven weeks. I urge you to get a test if taking Boniva to make sure it is working. Boniva has a law suit from thousands of people because it didnt work for them. I started on Reclasp last year and will have a Dexscan soon to see how much it has helped. Please have yours checked. Don't trust the manufacturers! You can email me at vernalea@yahoo.comEmail Small

• marieanne
    marieanne October 15, 2011 at 1:53 am   

Thanks, veralea@yahoo.comEmail Small, this is very important info. for
    anyone having taken this or thinking about taking it. Hugs, marieanne

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess September 12, 2011 at 12:36 am   

It is unfortuanate that western medicine is all about the money. Pharmaceutical companies in particular. Clinics too :S

• marieanne
    marieanne September 12, 2011 at 1:29 am   

I agree, it is a money making business, no different than any other business.
    Sadly, this affects so many when meds. get on the market & then we
    find out that they are not always safe. I also believe that it's quite rare
    to find a Dr. who really cares anymore- more about the patients well-bing
    than the pocket book. Hugs, marieanne

• marieanne
    marieanne September 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm   

This is good & timely info. here, thanks for sharing, you never know
    who it might help! Hugs, marieanne

• jlsantini
    jlsantini September 11, 2011 at 5:29 am   

I've been trying a variety of things during the past month. I was in physical therapy and learned strengthening exercises for the hip & core areas. Increasing the strength & stability of my hip & low back has lead to a lot less pain in these areas. I have also started trying to eat cleaner by eating whole foods such as fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. I have stopped drinking coffee and now drink green tea (only one cup with caffeine any subsequent cups are decaf). I stopped use of artificial sweeteners. I supplement with 2 multivitamin tablets & 2 fish oil in the morning and a probiotic and digestive enzyme at night. These are things I learned by reading books by Dr. Mark Hyman. Oh, drink lots of water!

• SHERISEY
    SHERISEY October 14, 2011 at 11:03 pm   

It seems like the probiotics are helping to increase my pain!! I was told that because I have such a bad yeast problem is the cause for this!! Do you know if this is true??

• marieanne
    marieanne October 14, 2011 at 11:06 pm   

Hi Dear1, I really don't know- but I'm sure that someone here will have info.
    about this. I will ask some those are here tonight, & see if anyone knows
    more about this. Hugs, marieanne

• marieanne
    marieanne September 11, 2011 at 4:11 pm   

Thanks so for these tips you've shared here, I am looking for books that
    can help with this process! Hugs, marieanne

• Fatherof5
    Fatherof5 September 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm   

I am new to arthritis itself only had it for about year. I find just doing what I did before ( that are in my limitation now) helps me get through the pain. I found sometime ( I wish all the time) getting your mind to think about something other than the pain help. Now in the morning when I wake up OMG what if anything helps that early? I would be willing to try about anything now a day.

• Nichole86
    Nichole86 September 14, 2011 at 7:23 pm   

I'm new to having Arthritus , diagnosed over a year ago. My most relaxing thing, I's i bought a jacuzzi, it loosens up my joints before go to work , and it's 20 minutes of no pain And keeps me comfortable for hours!

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine September 14, 2011 at 8:51 pm   

A Hot tub/Jacuzzi works well but I think the heat-infarred sauna helps me even more. The heat in the Fall and cold winters feels so good on the joints and muscles. I like our jacuzzi too but it seems I n=make more time for the sauna than the jacuzzi. I should me it a routine each morning or evening. Together they should really help. Maybe I'll try that this Fall!

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess September 12, 2011 at 12:33 am   

Distraction works wonders!

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine September 14, 2011 at 8:51 pm   

Yes it does!

• Kas73
    Kas73 September 9, 2011 at 5:04 pm   

Hi I find a cup of coffee and cigarette helps though doctors won't agree. Hot bath, heat pad. Sometimes a nanny's nap 20 mins sleep in afternoon gets me through the rest of the day. Also trying to find something you can do and enjoy doing find something that you are able to cope to do. Different state of mind helps you to relax, relaxing helps with the pain.

• marieanne
    marieanne September 11, 2011 at 4:13 pm   

I must have my Coffee! 4 sure. What we do to cope with the pain
    isn't always the favorite of the Docs, I know this first-hand. Staying
    busy, when able, really does a lot. Thanks for your replies~ Hugs, marieanne

• marieanne
    marieanne September 10, 2011 at 12:47 am   

Thanks to all for sharing here! hugs, marieanne

• jvbs
    jvbs September 9, 2011 at 7:31 am   

Reiki, chakra clearing, and meditation are things I do regularly. I find significant relief, at least for a while. I also love soaking in a hot tub, or floating in a heated pool. Morningsunshine, I will be over to use your sauna, where are you?? LOL I love dry heat, can't get enough of it. We are considering moving to the desert southwest when my hubby retires in about 14 years.

• SHERISEY
    SHERISEY October 14, 2011 at 11:09 pm   

@jvbs…I moved to the Southwest 2 years ago per a couple of Drs.as for a decrease in my pain…NOTHING!!! I hope and pray that it will be different for you!!! Please at least try it for a while before you up and move permanently…I wish I had!!! Best of luck to you!!!

• marieanne
    marieanne September 11, 2011 at 4:16 pm   

If only I knew where to find her sauna! :) LOL- Thanks for sharing here-
    dear1. Wellness & hugs, marieanne

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine September 10, 2011 at 11:14 pm   

Your certainly invited to come over and use the sauna! (LOL) It helps my pain! :)

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine September 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm   

Three things I use for my osteo-arthritis is the hot tub especially during Fall, Winter, & Spring. It helps loosen up my joints and it relaxes me. We also have a infar red sauna. It requires no water, you sit in it and it heats up as well as you also. I love it. We both use both of these. The last thing I use alot of is lavendar oil. Whether I'm massagiing it into my joints, sleeping with a lavendar pillow for my eyes when I have headaches. I use lavendar in bath water also. You will find lavendar throughout my house whether I use a oil burner to smell the lavendar, incense made of lavendar, or just lavendar spray. Lavendar is soothing and relaxing. At times I even drink lavendar/lemon tea. I also grow lavendar in the summer. :)

• jvbs
    jvbs September 9, 2011 at 7:37 am   

I am allergic to lavendar. I've heard from so many how relaxing and healing it is.

• morningsunshine
    morningsunshine September 14, 2011 at 8:55 pm   

Thats too bad! Maybe you could use rose oil like the person above said. I'm allergic to the fresh smell of roses. Allergies go crazy with rose smell! I also love roses! Too bad! for me! I just take an allergy pill when I'm around roses! Also you could use Menthol! ?

• marieanne
    marieanne September 9, 2011 at 12:03 am   

Thanks morningsunshine. I have always loved lavender through-out my
    home & in perfume, as well. I have a aromatherapy candle that stays in
    my bedroom so I can relax to go to sleep. These are all good ideas, thanks
    for sharing these with us. Hugs, marieanne

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess September 8, 2011 at 11:49 pm   

Lavender is awesome!!! It is so soothing on the owies. Wish I wasn't allergic though :(. I had one of the lavender eye bags, they are super!

• Lizziebell60
    Lizziebell60 September 8, 2011 at 9:52 pm   

Never heard of Lavendar doing so much! Need to try it for sure! Thanks!

• marieanne
    marieanne September 10, 2011 at 12:45 am   

Thanks for all these replies, good ideas. Hugs, marieanne

• tuluplum
    tuluplum September 10, 2011 at 12:21 am   

I make lavender bath salts - I use dead sea salt and lavender essential oil. I also make several scents of candles. I find soaking in a hot tub with candles burning so relaxing. I have recently been diagnosed with arthritis and scoliosis. I am glad to here that something I do anyway will help to relieve the pain.

• marieanne
    marieanne September 21, 2011 at 10:46 pm   

I am glad your here too, & that we can get to know you.
    Thanks for posting these good ideas! Hugs, marieanne

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess September 8, 2011 at 7:19 pm   

Weightlessness. Let's face it, as we age and our metabolism slows down, many of us become trapped by our own bodies. We pack on a few pounds that become a few pounds too many that burden our joints.

After spending some quality time with my Rheumy today, may his life be filled with joy, he re-confirmed ocean therapy.

I'll call it snorkeling therapy. The high concentration of salt and other minerals in ocean water are therapeutic in and of themselves. The buoyancy alone alleviates the stress on joints. The movement in the water whether walking or swimming in a weightless atmosphere is very beneficial.

The wave action is therapeutic in that it massages and exercises the body toning muscles and increasing balance.

Can't wait to be back in my beloved Caribbean Sea.

Salud! Salut! To your health… Cheers!

• marieanne
    marieanne September 8, 2011 at 9:05 pm   

Thanks for posting dear1, I have heard that this is good- as it doesn't
    pull on the joints. Maybe I need to get in some water somewhere~
    Saluting to your Health, also! Hugs, marieanne

• Palm Princess
    Palm Princess September 8, 2011 at 11:50 pm   

Igualmente. Gentle huggz right back at you.

• hobber
    hobber September 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm   

Thank you for this post Marieanne. I have heard many claims to alternative therapy and would like to find one that works. Thanks again and hope you get many useful replies.

• marieanne
    marieanne September 8, 2011 at 9:07 pm   

Thanks hobber for checking this out here, I am hoping that we get lots
    of ideas here- that are helpful to us & others, in their quest for better
    health. Hugs, marieanne

Hide the Social Toolbar Show the Social Toolbar